HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
brittd01

Mom's results, FEC experience??

Hello everyone,

Well my Mom just had her three month scans for liver, bone and lung
mets. After 6 months on navelbine/herceptin/zometa - all is clear.
However her CA27-29 was up a little from 35 to 43. The scans showed a
1.5cm lymph node under her left breast. Her onc wants to hit it with the
big guns and start her on 6 to 8 rounds of FEC. While on this she will
not be able to take herceptin according to her doc. Her onc gave her the
option of staying the course with the nav/her/zom but said if it were
her, she'd go for the FEC. What do you think she's thinking? Mom is
her2+++ and er/pr-. Do you think this is a good idea to not be on
herceptin? Any experience with FEC? What are the side effects?
Thanks so much! Brittany
brittd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Hi, has her onc considered radiation? I have had many destroyed in the neck, and also deep in the neck, that way she doesn't need to stop anything and as long as chemo can be scheduled so it won't upset her treatments it is worth a try first.
Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Christine MH-UK

Fec

I had FEC (strength 75) three years ago for primary cancer. I found it much harder than taxotere. FEC is used alot in Europe and I have noticed that people either seem to find FEC hard or taxotere hard, but usually not both. Like adriamycin, it tends to cause constipation and nausea, but it doesn't cause peripheral neuropathy. It is easier on the heart than adriamycin, although cardiotoxicity is still a concern, which is why it isn't normally mixed with herceptin. A recent Finnish trial for primary cancer suggests, however, that anthracyclines following herceptin-based chemo are much safer than anthracyclines right before herceptin-based chemo.

There was a very successful trial of herceptin, carboplatin, taxotere followed by adriamycin cyclophosphamide announced a little over a year ago, so maybe your mother's oncologist is thinking that two chemo combos are more likely that one to get rid of the cancer for good or at least put it into remission for a long period.

Best of luck,

Christine
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Barbara2

FEC was tough

I finished 6 treatments of FEC in March of 03. Immediately following treatment #5, I had septic shock because of a minor infection (of what we never knew)and severely low white counts, and had a week stay in ICU.

Was also hospitalized after treatment #6, but no septic shock that time. We also had only used 1/2 dose of chemo.

I was very fatigued throughout most of the time. Sore mouth, didn't want to eat much. Chemo brain followed and lasted at least a year.

At this date, I am feeling well and count my blessings daily. I don't think you will hear from too many people because in the United States, AC and CAF were more apt to be used than FEC. My onc gave me FEC because the epirubicin was more friendly on the heart, and I had a problem with SVT's (a racing heart). At that time, it was concidered a very aggressive treatment for my Her2+ (8.7 FISH), stage 2b, 1+node, grade 3, ER+, PR-, 4.5+cm tumor, breast cancer.

Herceptin was in the trials, of which I couldn't be a part of.

Good luck to you......

Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
JohnL

FEC used a lot in the UK. Monica did three courses of FEC 100 before moving on to Taxotere. Not fun, but having an infusion pump for anti nausea drugs and loading up prior to treatment helped. As they said, it's easier to prevent the nausea than stop it when it has started.

Also, live yoghurt (that's right, we Brits spell this differently too) is a top tip for the gastro intestinal effects! Start eating it a few days before and it helps prevent the inevitable diahorrea (another spelling surprise).

Cold caps and ice packs for hands and feet can reduce hair loss and nail problems that are common on high dose FEC.

John L
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Toril

FEC is also used as first choice here in Norway. I had 6 treatments the summer 2004. My experience is that it got better after the 4th treatment.
I did loose my hair - it started to grow back about a month after last treatment.
I was given it to reduce a very big tumor in my breasth, before the mascetomy.
It did have the effect that was wanted.

Good luck to your mum!
Toril
Toril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Unregistered

Thumbs up Fec

I had 4 FEC 100 followed by 4 taxotere, in 05. I also received herceptin weekly. I had no major difficulty with the FEC. Just a few days of fatigue each cycle. It was quite successful as surgery in Nov was a pathological complete response. I am in US so at least some doctors here are using FEC. Good luck to your mom.