HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
hannah

sorry meant to say you just apply it on vein you are going to use and leave on.

Hannah
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
StephN

Wink Bad veins is a problem

I have a port that has been in use for over 5 years.
But I have seen the infusion nurses try things such as wrapping the patient's arm in a warm towel or blanket. Holding the arm or vein area under warm water.
Not sure these efforts would work in your case.

You did not say what you are taking (or trying to take). Long term chemo also does affect our veins even if a port is used.

Can you try to take any of the drugs by mouth?? There are a number of newer ones that are in pill form.

Best of luck this time!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Unregistered

My veins too are pretty well shot-- so as soon as I get to the clinic, I wrap a heating pad around my accesible arm ( they can only use one because of node dissection) Also, try to " tank up" on fluids before you go for treatment. I start the night before so by the time I get there I'm pretty well hydrated. It might help.
Carol
Old 03-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Unregistered

Re omega three diet changes impact of timing.

I read in a book today a suggestion that changes in dietary fat can impact quite quickly on vascular health. It was in a Zone diet book specifically on inflamation, vascualr health etc.

I posted this earlier it is well worth the time to read

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S

RB
Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Unregistered

More evidence that fish oil can make quite a difference in quite a short time frame.

Inflamation down and COX 2 pecusor arachidonic acid down too - on my limited knowledge that could be good news for background BC prevention.

RB

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read,1048,4361.html

ABSTRACT

Fish Oil Supplementation Benefits Obese Pediatric Patients on Low GI Diets

Inflammation markers decreased in obese pediatric patients who supplemented their low glycemic index (GI) diets with long-chain omega-3 fatty acids.

Researchers enrolled 30 overweight pediatric patients (10 to 18 years in age) in an intervention program that emphasized exercise and a low glycemic load diet supplemented with fish oil. After six weeks, the fish-oil group saw a 19 percent decrease in the C-reactive protein inflammatory marker while the ratio of arachidonic acid to eicosapentaenoic acid decreased 73 percent.

1767-P
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
juanita

They have me squeeze a little nerf ball like thing that helps pump up the veins.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Patty H

You mentioned a port in your arm, have you considered one in your chest? Mine is on my chest and I have no soreness with it. In fact other then touching it and the feel of it, I don't even know it's there. I love my port. The first one I had only worked a few months but I have had this one for around 3 years.
Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote