HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
lisahammo

Question Need Advice On Poor Veins

Hi everyone

You all have such good ideas and advice, I am hoping that you can help me. Unfortunately, along with everything else, I have shocking veins. For 2 1/2 years, we have been relying on a tiny vein in my knuckle, and I have one other near my wrist, which is very difficult to find. I'm just starting another round of treatment, so had a PICC put in again, however after only 2 weeks, it had to come out, as it got infected. And I was so careful and vigilant. I was at the hospital every 2nd day having the dressing changed, and it still got infected.

Now we are going to try a port again, which was a complete disaster 16 months ago. After 6 weeks, we were only able to access it once, and eventually had it removed after my arm swelled and turned blue! So this time, we will try blood thinners BEFORE I get a blood clot, but I just think my body will reject it again. Also last time I was in complete agony with my shoulder and had to go on morphine, as something happened during surgery, however, again I think it may be my body just saying get rid of it.

So, my question is, does anyone know of any other alternatives to get the damn chemo into my body, or how my body might be able to accept these foreign objects? Any advice would be great.

Everyone take care.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
Unregistered

I don't know how quickly you can make changes with diet, but this link may give you food for thought.

Several sources suggest between two and three grams EPA and DHA (a derivative of omega 3 found in fish oil) a day (about 5tps but check the label), some as much as five. You might want to discuss it with your advisers.

There are lots of trials linking omega three to improved vascular health for what would appear to be sound reasons.

There are also severl links on this site you can search for. There are also a number of books on the subject. The author of the Zone diet published a book last year on the inflamatory aspects of diet.

Try searching on NCBI and enter the search terms. You could also follow the cited articles attached to the link below which leads in an "endless" chain of sub references.

We have all been and are bombarded by do this try that and it gest to the stage you dont know what to beleive. I only became full aware of this some months ago and am now passonate about it, and feel a huge indicanation that there is not a greater effort to expalin the implications of a failure to balance omega threes and sixes.

There is no easy way you just have to read some of the scientific literature yourself.

If there was ever one simple diet change that can potentially make a huge difference this is it balance your omega three and six. It helps in all inflamatory diseases, and eyesight, gums, mental health - there is a host of literature - try your local library for likely looking health books and check the index for "fats" and look for omega three six DHA EPA (you find it in lots of subjects depression, ahdh, macular degeneration, cancer.....)

I hope this helps.

RB

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S
Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
hannah

Hi ask about patches GTN they use for patients with angina to open up veins I have worked with patients on dialysis whos veins are shot and this has helped them.

good luck
Hannah
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
hannah

sorry meant to say you just apply it on vein you are going to use and leave on.

Hannah
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
StephN

Wink Bad veins is a problem

I have a port that has been in use for over 5 years.
But I have seen the infusion nurses try things such as wrapping the patient's arm in a warm towel or blanket. Holding the arm or vein area under warm water.
Not sure these efforts would work in your case.

You did not say what you are taking (or trying to take). Long term chemo also does affect our veins even if a port is used.

Can you try to take any of the drugs by mouth?? There are a number of newer ones that are in pill form.

Best of luck this time!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Unregistered

My veins too are pretty well shot-- so as soon as I get to the clinic, I wrap a heating pad around my accesible arm ( they can only use one because of node dissection) Also, try to " tank up" on fluids before you go for treatment. I start the night before so by the time I get there I'm pretty well hydrated. It might help.
Carol
Old 03-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
Unregistered

Re omega three diet changes impact of timing.

I read in a book today a suggestion that changes in dietary fat can impact quite quickly on vascular health. It was in a Zone diet book specifically on inflamation, vascualr health etc.

I posted this earlier it is well worth the time to read

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S

RB
Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Unregistered

More evidence that fish oil can make quite a difference in quite a short time frame.

Inflamation down and COX 2 pecusor arachidonic acid down too - on my limited knowledge that could be good news for background BC prevention.

RB

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read,1048,4361.html

ABSTRACT

Fish Oil Supplementation Benefits Obese Pediatric Patients on Low GI Diets

Inflammation markers decreased in obese pediatric patients who supplemented their low glycemic index (GI) diets with long-chain omega-3 fatty acids.

Researchers enrolled 30 overweight pediatric patients (10 to 18 years in age) in an intervention program that emphasized exercise and a low glycemic load diet supplemented with fish oil. After six weeks, the fish-oil group saw a 19 percent decrease in the C-reactive protein inflammatory marker while the ratio of arachidonic acid to eicosapentaenoic acid decreased 73 percent.

1767-P
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 AM   #9
juanita

They have me squeeze a little nerf ball like thing that helps pump up the veins.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Patty H

You mentioned a port in your arm, have you considered one in your chest? Mine is on my chest and I have no soreness with it. In fact other then touching it and the feel of it, I don't even know it's there. I love my port. The first one I had only worked a few months but I have had this one for around 3 years.
Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Toril

Port in chest

My port is also in chest. I am very satisfied with that. I've had it since last september.

Best of luck!
T0ril
Toril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
madubois63

I am on my second port. The first one was placed by my breast surgeon and didn't last too long before it started to flip. Glad the surgeon did a better job on the mastectomy than he did the port. The second port was put in by my thoracic surgeon and he did a meticulous/fabulous job. He took a sonogram just prior to surgery to find the best position. This port has been used several times each week for 17 months now and (knock wood) has been amazing. I personally think it was the surgeon and not the actual devise that made the difference....

The fish oil sounds promising. I have been taking it for about a month or so and have to say - they have been having a better luck sticking me lately....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
Unregistered

The important factor on top of omega three is to balance the threes and sixes - it is the excess sixes in combination with lack of three that is likely to be contributing to many inflamatory disorders.

Try reading "Cracking the Metabolic Code" James B La Valle, and the Zone Diet book on inflamation published last year.

Both deal with inflamation and the importance of balancing the threes and sixes, and search on this site.

RB
Old 03-02-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
chrislmelb

Portacath

That is what i had inserted above my good boob. Day surgery at the Royal Melbourne. It works fabulously and i tell everyone how much i love it. It is internal so there is no dressing changing etc.
Call me on 9354 0773 if you want a chat.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #15
Maggie

Double Port

I had a port put in my chest for herceptin. I was going to ask for a double, but the surgeon suggested it himself. I have no problem with it at all. I would consider some of the suggestions made here, too before they access the port.

Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
Unregistered

Any Success Stories with Ports in Chest?

Am considering use of a port for initial chemotherapy treatment. I'm Stage 1. I am nervous about whether I will get used to the port, and the surgery putting the port in?

Also, can anyone give me tips on finding a good surgeon to install the port? I am in the Washington, DC metropolitan area?

Thanks so much!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
Cathya

Hi. Like Patty I have a port in my chest and LOVE it. I just wish it could be used for everything!!! My veins are also shot and for the last few MUGA's they have had to use the other arm (the one with the lymph nodes removed).....my onc's nurse said that in an emergency it was ok as long as it was not turniqued. I don't think they would permit this for chemo though and I personally would not want to risk it. They have a new, smaller chest port now so maybe the new size will help your body accept it. I really hope so as the stress of just getting hooked up is awful.

Best regards,

Cathya
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #18
tousled1

I had my port put in by my surgeon the day before I started my chemo. I did develop blood clots and was afraid the port would have to be removed -- luckily the port is still working fine and the coumadin is keeping the clots under control. I couldn't imagine going through chemo without the port.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #19
Johanna Johannsdottir

Hi,

I had port placed in the chest last august and have no problem since. Before even the nurses were sweatening in trying to find a vain. The surgeon measured it very well before so I could wear clothes that are open to breastline and also tried to hid it behind the strap of the bra or swimsuit. I was even surprised when he was painting the right place before the surgery because I didn't think like that (always wear something to my neck and sleeves). This was his way of doing it to I could hide it and be comfortable with it. The port is saving me tim and also the nuses when I go for my Taxotere, herceptin and Zometa. By the way I live in Iceland and this doesn't cost me anything extra because our health-care is in the taxes and it was done in the Univesity Hospital in the capital.

Best to you all

Jóhanna
Johanna Johannsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #20
G. Ann

Hi,

Finding a good vein on the first try, either for Herceptin or blood tests, is a good day for me. I drank 6-8 glasses of water before my blood test with good success on the first try. A few days later drank more water 24 hours before Herceptin tx. The Herceptin was OK in that it was accomplished on the first try, but the onc nurse must not have had it in a good vein though as I had to keep my arm very still so the machine didn't beep indicating the flow was being cut off.

I'm thinking next time, in addition to lots of water, adding some exercise a few hours before. I will be asking the onc for info on a port as I have until 1/07 to complete my tx's as long as MUGA scans come out normal. (The last MUGA scan took 5 needle sticks instead of 2.) I'll also ask the onc about feasability of doing contrast dyes for MUGA scan in the other arm although I had 15 lymph nodes removed. So far, no lymphedema, but I don't want to add that problem. Great info from everyone.
G.Ann
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote