HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #21
al from Canada

Linda and I would like to thank everyone for their kind words, thoughts, concerns and words of encouragement. Linda is doing much better today and seems to be regaining strength almost hourly as the xeloda kicks in. This new generation of medications are truly miracle drugs and coming back from SABCS; we have very many reasons to be optimistic and positive.

Linda stopped chemo to findout if she had active disease and as most of you know, stable disease is a requirement for entry into the U. of W. HER2 Vaccine Trial. Well, we knew the risks and we got our answer! We also thought of this as a calculated risk that was worthwhile taking because we have faith in the researchers that formulate and test these vaccines and targetted therapies. The truth be known; I don't think they are doing this for the money! Having said that, let's support our explorers, ladies like Ginger and most recently Nicola, because truly, none of this is without risk.

Love to all,
Al and Linda
Old 12-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #22
Lolly

Al and Linda, I'd like to add my support to the virtual CHORUS of positive words from this wonderful group of people.

I'm so glad to hear Linda's feeling better on Xeloda...it seems to be a very potent drug for this particular flavor of BC; I have two chemo friends who's HER2 positive cancers are either stable or in remission since being on Xeloda/Herceptin. So stay positive and hopeful, enjoy the Christmas season with your loved ones, and in the New Year we'll KICK SOME BUTT!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #23
mickey

Anyone ever got xeloda from canada. I might have to go back to in office chemo if I don't get help
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #24
Becky

Dear Al

I just logged on for the first time in a long while as I have been out of the country and then the holiday preparation.

I am so sorry that Linda's liver mets are not stable. Avastin is a great idea. Are there any other recommended chemo combos to try out? A trial?

My heart is with you and Linda. I feel you are a good friend in such a short time. I just can't say enough.

God bless you.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #25
Rozebud

Al, I am truly bummed to hear this news. I know how long you had been hoping to participate in the UW trial. Keeping you in my prayers that this new round will reduce the tumors.

Dx'd 1/04 at 33, while 33 weeks pregnant

Dx: Stage IIIC IDC, ER-, PR+ (23%), Her2=2.7 (IDC)/7.6 (FSH), 2.5cm primary tumor, grade III, 11/18+ nodes (largest 3.8 cm)

Treatment: A/C *4, T *4, 1 year of herceptin (BCIRG 006), mastectomy, rads (7 weeks), zoladex (5 years) with tamoxifen (2 years)/aromisin (3 years), bilateral SGAP summer 05 at NOLA

Oops, retested tumor and I guess I'm er/pr- after all.
Stopped all hormonal tx 10/07. Periods resumed 6/08. Bye bye hot flashes!!!!

http://www.edrie.com/kopecky
*~VISIT OUR FAMILY!~*
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
Julie2

Hi Al,

Sorry to hear the news and hoping to see her reach NED status with the next chemo combo. Are you considering lapatinib trial also?

Julie
Old 12-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #27
Joy

have to add my wishes

Al and Linda, it sounds like you are already bouncing back from crummy results. Knowing the tenacity and intellect you both have, i just don't feel worried in my gut. You have helped so many with your research and efforts it is only natural that you two will get this figured out. I'm envisioning a fabulous 2006 for you that is full of new, exciting opportunities.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:38 AM   #28
Tom

Hang in there

Dear Al and Linda,

I know the test results come as a sucker punch to you, but I always say the enemy that you know is one you can defeat. You know where you stand now with the cancer, and you will formulate a plan. I have always enjoyed reading your informative posts, and have seen that you are light on your feet when it comes to looking for new answers.

I feel very strongly that the vast realm of information that came out of the San Antonio event will be of help to us all very shortly. I always tell Mom's onc that I want to limp along until the next treatment breakthrough becomes available. Perhaps by the time you are done with the Xeloda, or even Avastin, Lapatinib will have proven so successful that it will receive fast-track approval and be widely used.

I have added your names to our prayer list at church, and will keep you both in my thoughts. I feel certain that you will overcome this twist in your journey as well, and may even find that God has directed you down this path for some as yet unknown reason. Keep your faith strong and your mind sharp as you wisely advised me to do when things get crazy. I hope you were still able to have a peaceful Christmas. Take good care.

Sincerely,
Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #29
lu ann

Linda has been my main glimmer of hope since I came on this sight that this disease won't kill me. I'm praying for you Linda, that you find the right treatment to put you in remission. God Bless You, Al, and everyone. Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #30
Montana

Merry Christmas and a really happy New Year to you both. I will be thinking good thoughts.

Sue
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #31
hope

Sorry to hear about Linda. I will keep you in my prayers and hope everthing turns out good. God is Great! Hope
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #32
Tami

Ditto on the prayer patrol - your both on the top of mine. Sounds as though you are already rallying, regrouping and venturing on. We are all holding you in prayer and hoping for the next step to present itself clearly and easily.

All the best
Tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:11 AM   #33
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Hi there, it is such a bummer getting news you don't want, but Linda is a tough Gal, and will roll with the punches. I am waiting to have tests to see if my Herceptin/Xeldoa /Cyclophosamide combo worked, I had to stop Aromasin so it would give my cancer a chance to grow, bigger that is, I had good news last Xmas NED, to be shot down 2 weeks into the new year, so this year I decided I could care less one way or another what the result was because a new year of battles seems to be our vocation in life and it maybe that the Xeloda is our insulin we just have to work out what to mix it with. I was told yesterday that I am in a win win situation, if it is gone I will stay on the Xeloda combo and if it isn't I will trial the new drug that stops blood supply to the cancer, also being trialed for Leukemia, the weird thing is I feel as if I do not have any big C, but that could be me hallucinating from the pain killers I am on for my sore shoulders and neck, every 4 hours comes around like pulling teeth, I am not addicted just in agony all the time, so I am lucky in one way as far as I know it isn't from the big C, unless the MRI shows something, this is the wrong time of year to try and get tests done, even my GP is on Holiday in IReldand until 9 January. Linda and all of my Pals on here are always in my prayers. I find I can type if I hold my elbows into my sides for support, but I must apologise for not being on here as often as I should.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #34
Maryanne

Al,
You once told me there is a reason for everything and most times for the best...well I throw this back in your court knowing once again things will work to your advantage.

May "Miracles' abound for you both in 2006.
Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #35
RobinP

Sorry Al, I will be praying for you and your family. Keep you chins up.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #36
Amy

Al and Linda,

Your news is so disheartening...I've been off Xeloda for 5 weeks now because my tumors showed "significant growth" while taking it, along with herceptin. I'm now on Navelbine plus herceptin. My Onc doesn't think herceptin is working but I pleaded with her to keep me on it....I've read where these two drugs have a positive synergistic effect.....along with lots of Prayer.
Stay positive and stay strong.....Linda, you will endure and overcome this!!!
Much love, Amy
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #37
Unregistered

Al, this michele u

Have you looked into the SPOC program? I know it helps pay for Herceptin if insurancae does not. I will try to find the exact website for you
Old 01-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #38
Cindi

Al,

Sorry to hear about Linda's progresssion. We all HATE that situation! I am sure that you have been very busy investigating you alternatives, perhaps it was even mentioned in the above responses, but what about the new trial "

A Phase II Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety Using Combined Monoclonal Antibodies, Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab in Subjects with HER-2 Overexpressed Locally Advanced and Metastatic Breast Cancer" ?

Since Linda had progression while on Herceptin alone, maybe this would be a good trial for you.

I realize you live in Canada, but just wanted to pass this along.

God Bless,
Cindi

P.S. Sorry it took me so long to read your post, just getting back from the Xmas holidays and a bout of the flu. Holidays GREAT, Flu BAAAAD!!!
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote