HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Lisa

WBR,white matter and latest PET

Friends,

It's been one year since my WBR. My recent brain MRI report came back, well, strange. I've been reading scans for a while now and have no idea what this one says. My onc explained that it looks like no mets, but rather an increase in "white matter." The way I understand it, which is not very much, the white matter is changes from the grey matter. It DOES explain my increasing strained vocabulary and my tiredness. But there's nothing to be done for it. So now, whenever I say "Easter" instead of "Halloween", I simply follow it up with "white matter."

FYI, the PET scan showed "Diminished abnormalities in bones, liver and abdominal paraaortic adenopaty on current exam compared to July 25, 2005.

Sometimes this fight gets old, but on good days, it's worth it.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
pkw

Dear Lisa:

First, that is a beautiful photo of you. Red is definitely your color!

You are farther down the road, but I am not far behind. I was diagnosed stage IV in May 2004. Treatment is going well. My last CT (last week) was clear, and herceptin treatments will be scaled back to once each 3 weeks. I asked my doctor about a brain scan; I have my first MRI of "la cabeza" next week. I've not had headaches or other symptoms, but seem to be getting sloppier at the keyboard. It must be really frustrating to have problems without explanation. I keep thinking that my rather sudden diminishment of tying skills has a bad news reason behind it.

Since my "good" results this week I've noticed something about my attitude. Surely I am not the only one. It seems like with some major milestones including finishing the rough chemo, finishing radiation, and now "graduating" to less frequent herceptin, it's good news - but there is a degree of not really sadness - maybe apprehension. There is a fast food ad being run here. When people in the ad think of the restaurant's sandwiches, a cartoonish red hat appears above their head (the restaurant's logo). For me, it is a cartoonish boot aimed at my rear end. I can't seem to shake the cloud and accept that I might be able to live with what cancer brings to the door.

I suppose we all have to find our own way. You've dealt with so much. Any words of wisdom?

love, PK
a newbie to this site
pkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
al from Canada

Lisa, so glad to here you are doing better. You are certainly an inspiration to all of us so "keep on kickin' it"!! And don't worry about easter....this morning I woke up thinking it was christmas......

as always, Al
Old 10-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
pattyz

Lisa........

Hooray for the great PET! Want to say something like: 'love those warm fuzzy pets.....' and have it sound funny, but I'm not so sharp as I once was, either! lol

I haven't a clue as to the white over gray matter and feel that I SHOULD. If you go out and do some more research or whatever, I'll be interested to know what you find...

Many big hugs, kiddo!!
xoxooxpatty
Old 10-15-2005, 07:06 AM   #5
Kristin

HI Lisa,

Great news on the PET scans. You crack me up, because you sound like my mom, who also had WBR almost 2 years ago. She always switches words like you do for holidays, so what, she always says, chemo brain strikes again. So far she hasn't seen anything from grey to white matter on her MRI reports, but I guess it all depends on who is reading and writing the reports.
You both are such strong women and I am completely amazed at the struggles you overcome everyday. Feel proud of your strength and don't worry about the word thing. I always tease my mom and tell her she is no spring chicken, just to make her feel like it is old age and not the disease, to make her feel just a bit more normal. She is turning 60 on the 30th of this month. She was diagnosed 6 1/2 years ago and they gave her 4 months to live, 1year if chemo worked, and here she is today, still putting me in my place!!! Enjoy life, you've worked so hard for it!!!!!
Hugs, Kristin
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Celina

Lisa...it's ALL good! I can't imagine just how relentless this cancer can be and tired you must get..but you're on top of it and you should celebrate your health...even it you're a little tired or a little foregetful!

Celina
Celina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
Julie2

Julie

Lisa,

congrats for the great PET. You are always in my thoughts.

Julie
Old 10-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
Lolly

Lisa, my husband does the same word switcheroos and he hasn't had any chemo, much less WBR! You know you're our hero, Living Legend, so do a Snoopy Dance and celebrate!

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:39 AM   #9
Sheila

LisaYou are a mentor to many of us who may follow your path...the PET scan news is great....don't worry about the word thing...I have that from age or CRS syndrome as my husband calls it....by the way, I wonder what Al got us for Christmas!
Hugs
Sheila

Last edited by Sheila; 10-17-2005 at 04:45 AM..
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
StephN

Question H-m-m-m ...

Does that mean the "white matter" just takes up space and is useless?? Is there no blood circulating through this tissue, therefore its color?
This deserves a little more looking into.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote