HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #21
Petesmom

Early stagers

Hi,

I am stage 1, 7mm tumor, ER+ and Her+++ (this is my second round with bc) grade 2. I had a mast in March and am having a prophylactic oophorectomy next week so that I can switch from Tamoxifen to Arimidex. I have had rads for the first go round in 1998 (no chemo) and this time no chemo and no Herceptin for right now. I feel good about my TX so far. Good luck to you.

Petesmom
Petesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #22
Unregistered

earlystager

Yes, I am an early stager that was diagnosed and underwent surgery to remove a 1cm cluster. Intraductal carcinoma. Three lymphnodes removed also. An ALL clear, although I am going thru rad & chemo, and am also working with the alternatives. (I am one of those people!)
Glad to see someone else that I can talk with!
I was also informed to have my ovaries removed, as this type of cancer is hormonal connected, then a change of opinion and now was told to have a complete Hysterectomy. WHOOOAAA..Alot of invasive proedures going on.
CJ
Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #23
Unregistered

Thumbs up stage 1

I am a survivor of stage 1 and am going thru radiation and chemo. I am somewhat confused as to whythe two drs are wanting me to have a complete hysterectomy (this is after the first recommendation of ovarian)
removal. On the one hand there is one doctor saying one thing and the other
saying another. I on the other hand do not wish to have this surgery...I will take my chances!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #24
chartermom02

I was diagnosed on October 4, 2000, at the age of 41 with IDC, Stage 1, 2 cm, Grade 3, strongly ER/PR+; Her2+++. Had lumpectomy, SNB 0/4; 4 A/C, 35 rads; Tamoxifen for 3 years and 10 months; started Arimidex in November 2004 after hysterectomy/oophorectomy in August 2004 due to the possibility of ovarian and/or uterine cancer - all negative - probably due to Tamoxifen side effects. Had my yearly mammogram and ultrasound last week - all clear; breast MRI tomorrow; follow up with the onc in a few weeks. Doing well but experiencing some aches and pains which I hope is just from the Armidex and menopause. Too far out for Herceptin but at least I know it's there if, God forbid, I ever need it.
Gloria from DE
chartermom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #25
Deborah Phaed

To those who were rec oophrectomy/hysterectomy

What were the reasons the drs. gave for those recs? Is it age related? I'm 52 and still perimenopausal, but have not been rec'd to have either procedure.
Deborah Phaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #26
chartermom02

Hi Deborah,
My docs highly recommended, practically forced the surgery issue, due to large, bilateral ovarian cysts along with a thickened endometrium and an enlarged uterus. Docs said since I was menopausal (hadn't had a period since December 2000 while doing A/C) I shouldn't still be getting follicular cysts on my ovaries, however, every time I had an ultrasound, the cysts were jumping from side to side which indicates they were follicular; nevertheless, the docs were concerned because they were getting quite large and were now "complex" and "septated" which could indicate possible malignancy - they ordered a CA125 which came back elevated so, of course, that sent me into a tailspin and thought for sure it was malignant. The uterine lining also kept thickening but despite several in office uterine biopsies which all came back negative, they were concerned with that. Also, my uterus which had always been on the large side had gotten a bit larger on ultrasound. So despite my not having any symptoms and was feeling well and functioning normally while on Tamoxifen I, of course, went ahead with the surgery. Thankfully, like I stated, everything was benign. However, I feel like I've aged 10 years in the 13 months since I've had the surgery and started Arimidex. I ache and have alot of difficulty after sitting in any position for any length of time; have many more hot flashes than I ever had during chemo or while on Tamoxifen; and worst of all, ugh, the libido and dryness issues. So, think long and hard before you make any decisions. Alot of women say it's a small price to pay for your life and health, but it is very upsetting and frustrating at times.
chartermom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #27
Becky

I was very much like Chartermom. My ovarian cysts were hemoragic corpus luteums (after ovulation or attempted ovulation sometimes the wound that is created can fill with blood). I had a bunch and since my dad's side is ovarian cancer and my mom's is breast, it was recommended that my ovaries (and tubes) be removed to be sure.

All was well but I too have more intense hot flashes (but not more - maybe 2 or 3 per day) and I am and was on Arimidex. I don't have libido problems but do have dryness issues and because of that, some minor vaginal infection issues. I was told these would pass and actually improve once my body is used to everything (had everything done 6 weeks ago).

I am glad to have had it done. No more worries and Arimidex (or any AI) and Herceptin work well together so I am more confident of my treatment plan. I was fairly certain that despite bloodwork, I was not completely postmenopausal and being hormone and Her 2 - I did want to do everything I could do.

Best regards,

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote