HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
donna50210

Goodmorning Ladies,
I have been reading many messages on this site for about a month but this is my first time posting. I guess I am really confused and intend to call my onc. this week for a little chat. I thought I was really paying attention but now after reading everything I am a lot confused. I was dx. on 4-21-05 with bc. Mammogram inconclusive, ultrasound although huge area 8-10 centimeters, radiologist still not sure so I had a core biopsy that same day. Dr. called me within 4 days and said really sorry but it is bc., I want you to see a surgeon immediately, gyn. set up appointment with surgeon who at first was like lets just get it out either lump. or mast. but then said no I want you to onc. first. Had cat scans, echo cardiogram and a few others before seeing onc. So I meet with onc. who I love and really researched to get, he explains everything. I am er/pr + and he tells me I have the overexpression of her 2/neu. At this time I don't have a clue of what kinds of cancer he is talking about. He wants to do chemo first to try and shrink this tumor before surgery. Two days later I start AC/Taxotere, I have now had my second infusion on 6/2 and am doing just okay with some side effects. I have one more Ac/ Taxotere and then I will have surgery not sure yet what kind. The tumor which was huge is now barely felt , as a matter of fact I can not really find it anymore which seems like good news to me. After surgery more chemo with taxol (12Weeks). Here's my real confusion my onc. has said he will get me herceptin for 8-12 months although I don't qualify. When I asked my chemo nurse to write down my diagnosis she took it right off my charts, Er/Pr+, Her2/neu+ , stage 2-3. My question is do I not qualify because my cancer has not spread, all tests were clean or is it because with only one + I am considered negative? Tests did show 2 nodes inconclusive.
I guess I should add I have a really positive feeling about all this but sometimes when you keep reading it sure does get scary. I am 55 yrs old living on Cape Cod with my husband of 34 yrs., a daughter 28yrs. and a son 27 yrs. I have alot of family support and love around me at all times. I also forgot to mention my 3 babies 2 golden retrievers and a bernese mountain dog.
If anyone has any idea what I'm asking after all this I would appreciate your responses. My biggest question is her2/neu + does this mean I have it or not?
Thanks in advance this is an awesome web site for information.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
imported_Joe

"My question is do I not qualify because my cancer has not spread, all tests were clean or is it because with only one + I am considered negative?"

Donna,

You are probably correct. Currently Herceptin is only approved for Stage IV Metastatic breast cancer patients although considerable evidence was presented in Orlando last month of its benefits t prevent recurrence.

You may want to ask your onc, which test was given to determine HER2 status. If the FISH test was used, then the only results would be positive or negative. If the IHC test was used then the results would be Her2 minus or HER2 +, 2+ or 3+.

I suspect he used the FISH test.

Welcome to our site.

Regards
Joe
Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Janet/FL

Hello Donna
>>My biggest question is her2/neu + does this mean I have it or not?

I can see how you are confused. This all gets very confusing at one point or another.
It seems that your Onc said you over express Her2. Then you just see one + after the HER2 designation which may indicate you aren't. Or it could just be a short hand to say you are Her2 plus--meaning positive. Ask your onc is the easy answer, but also if there is any question as to your being Her2+++ then get the FISH test. That is suppposedly the gold standard for Her2 and would save you and the onc a lot of guessing.
Sounds like you have a great family and live in a very special place.
Let us know what you find about the Her2
Janet/FL