HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
Cheryl

I have been allowed to begin Taxol with herceptin weekly x 12 having just finished my AC. I am early stage. Knowing that only about half of women who are HER2 positive benefit from herceptin I am praying I am one of them, but wondering, if I am not am I giving up the dose dense advantage of Taxol every two weeks x 4 by doing it weekly or is it actually considered even more dose dense?

Appreciate any answers,
Cheryl
Old 06-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Ruth

Hi Cheryl, I would pose this question to your oncologist but from what I understand is that dose dense is the same amount of chemo that is given every three weeks instead given every two weeks with wbc support. Weekly taxol is a smaller amount given each week however after the 12 week course you will have more taxol total in your system. I asked this same question to my oncologist and he felt that because I was having Herceptin with the taxol, I would get a better benefit weekly (I didn't ask if he thought this from research...I just trusted his opinion). I personally don't know of studies to back this up. That is why I would ask your Dr. too so you can feel better about any decision you make!
Peace, Ruth
Old 06-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
*_Vicki Z_*

Hi Cheryl, Will you be finished after the 12 weeks or continue on the herceptin after that? Best to you, Vicki P.S. I took Taxol-Carboplatin-Herceptin for 12 weeks only.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
*_Jo50_*

I was told (and saw in write-ups of a clinical trial or two - sorry I can't now remember which or where) that weekly Taxol actually gives you a slight advantage over 2 or 3 weekly. My big concern when I signed up for the Herceptin trial was that I would lose the advantage of dose dense AC, with only a chance of getting Herceptin. I was on arm that didn't get Herceptin, but had been told by my 2nd opinion onc at Sloan Kettering that the benefits of the weekly Taxol probably evened the AC dose dense gap. I am now getting weekly Herceptin since I was on Arm A of the trial and am within 6 months of finishing chemo. I think the side effects of weekly Taxol are supposed to be a little easier to take too - I had neuropathy (still have numb toes), finger and toe nail problems, constantly runny and often bloody nose, rash on hands, aches and pains for about 3/4 days between treatments, but it was all quite do-able.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Cheryl

Vicki - I will stay on the Herceptin for the remaining 40 of 52 weeks after the 12 with Herceptin.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
*_Becky_*

What is the dense dose benefit? I had dense dosing (every other week 4 ACs followed by 4 taxols). My last taxol was on Jan 31 and because I am less than 6 months out, I am starting Herceptin next week (every week for a year).

What advantage did dense dosing do for me? I know it is better than every 3 weeks but how much better?

Thank you in advance

Becky
Old 06-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
jojo

Hi Cheryl,

At original diagnosis, I was late stage (3B, but according to this year's guidelines, more likely 3C).

I had 4 A/C every 2 weeks, then weekly Taxol in conjunction of weekly Herceptin. I think that the weekly Taxol is not considered "dose-dense", but A/C every 2 weeks is dose-dense.

All my onc told me about the weekly Taxol was that we would have less reactions to the weekly, as the thrice-weekly would more likely give you extra neuropathy & bone aches, based on studies. I never asked her where the studies came from.

I remain on Herceptin indefinitely, because I am stage 4. (recurrence)

Good luck! ~ JO.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
jojo

PS to Cheryl:

I forgot to mention that I had VERY little neuropathy. I did not take any medicine for that; the neuropathy would come on very seldomly, and they were very quick. Additionally, I did have occasional muscle/bone aches -- they would quickly come and last only several seconds or a few minutes at each time. (mostly muscle, very rarely bone.) Gratefully, I did not need to take meds for that as well.

Besides that, strangely enough I constantly had an unexplained fever while on Taxol, my onc prescribed me 600mg Ibuprofen, so that definitely worked, to kick the fever & keep it at bay. Besides that, I had occasional muscle/bone aches -- they would quickly come and last only several seconds or a few minutes at each time. (mostly muscle, very rarely bone)