HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
judiek

Hello,

I have heard of this and found this from another sister on another site

http://www.rational-t.com/patients/right_for_you.htm

Has anyone checked into this? I'm wondering if they test you and treat you with current drugs?? Or do they use new drugs that are not FDA approved. Can anyone elaborate on this...thanks

judiek
Old 06-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Kaye

Hi Judie--I had this done in April at this facility/lab. I had a gland removed and pathology fed exed them a tissue sample. I got the kit from the lab--which they can either fed ex to you or your facility/hospital. I don't live that far from them so I picked up the kit the day before surgery.
They test the tissue sample for different combinations of chemotherapy drugs--standard one There is another (or other) labs that test for single drug effectiveness, but this one is uniquite in that it tests for drug combinations.
The cost is $2500.00. If the sample doesn't have enough tumor cells, which they will know in 3 days, they refund all but $250.00 (processing/testing fee). I my case the sample tested positive for 7 different chemo combinations. Those are listed in order of effectiveness.
The problem--though--was that the pathology came back negative or benign. So, who's right? I wound up getting a full refund because of the discrepancy but I am not sure who to trust. Somehow, I think I trust the chemo testing lab more than my health care facility who, according to an article I recently read by a physician who used to work there, has manipulated test results.
My health care facility did not want to do the surgery and orchestrated a very manipulativedelay and orchestration of avoidance. However, the head of the dept finally went ahead and did it. I did like him as a surgeon. He removed the entire submandibular gland--which had shown increased uptake in that area of a few PET scans over the previous 2+ yrs. The dr. showed my husband, a dentist the gland, and it did look like the entire gland had been removed plus more. We saw the dr's surgical report--said he removed the whole gland. We also saw the pathology report--which stated that what was received was a "SEGMENT" of the gland. Huh???? What happened to the whole gland. The surgeon gave me a copy of his surgical report and this path. rept. at time of my post op appt. I immediately noted the discrepancy and asked him about it. His response--acted very annoyed and uncomfortable and said, with difficulty--he "didn't know."
So--that's my experience with the chemotherapy analysis...
Old 06-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
judiek

Thanks Kaye for the info...I'm not sure what I should do. Maybe I'll talk with my onc about it. Thanks again Kaye

warmly,

judiek