HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #1
Sheila

Just wondering if anyone has a problem with their fingers swelling....I am very cautious about salt and sodium but noticed lately that my fingers seem more swollen...i have removed all my rings...it is in both hands so I can rule out lymphedema....I am on Herceptin only....
Thanks
Hugs
Sheila
Old 06-04-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
pattyz

Sheila,
three years ago I was desperately asking this same question, with no one who could tell me a thing! To this day.

so, I will reply only with this:

Three yrs ago, which was 2yrs post first dx/ Stage IIIb/chemo and just prior to my mets dx, my fingers began to be so swollen in the morning it was critical for me to stop wearing my rings at all, because I just couldn't remember to take them off at night!! ( I wore a ring on nine fingers! )

The swelling is so severe I can't close my hands, grip anything and the normal wrinkles are smoothed out of my palms and inside of fingers.

My toes are not affected so my toe rings are still there :o)

After I get up in the morning, get a big cup of HOT coffee to wrap my hands around, the swelling starts to go down...it's mildly painful/sore to try to use them very much. In about an hours? time they are nearly normal, then normal for the rest of the day.

I have been on no drug or supplement this full three year period to cause the swelling. I do eat salt and products with sodium. I'll just turn 56 next month. One of my friends is a bit older than I am, without bc or other health issues and she reports the same type of swelling in a. m.

Sorry for the length here, don't know if yours is an all day/all the time swelling or if a side effect from something. Just had to open my mouth about this as I have no clue as to the cause of mine either!
Old 06-04-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
*_Linda in Calif._*

Ever since chemo my fingers have been swollen even though I weigh less now (130) than when I was first DXd 3 years ago (137). Some days are worse than others and I always seem to swell more during the night. The only meds I am taking at this point are Tamoxifen and Singulair. I still use salt on my food but try to keep it to a minimum. My feet also seem to be swollen first thing in the morning. My shoes start out feeling tight and by the end of the day I am walking out of them...go figure! Take Care, Linda
Old 06-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Sandy H.

I find the heat makes my fingers swell. However, I have stopped using regular salt. I use only Celtic sea salt. You can order it off the internet. I have not be able to find it in any health food stores. The sea salt I find in the health food stores is white that is processed salt. Celtic sea salt is gray and once you get use to it you will not be able to use white salt of any kind it will taste of chemicals. I do not get the swelling and my blood pressure is lower using this salt and it taste so much better. Hope this helps. hugs, Sandy
Old 06-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
*_Annemarie_*

My fingers get swollen from Herceptin given 1 time every three weeks (large dose v. once a week).
Old 06-07-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
Sheila

Annemarie
That is the same dose I am on, every 3 wks...by the way, your name is the same as my favorite Aunts!

Hugs
Sheila