HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
pattyz

This is sound thinking in part...yet if there were a smaller mets in a critical area, I think it would be better to find it sooner.

Example: MRI found a 3mm met on my pons/brain stem. It was treated, along with others, successfully. But, if you read up on what that area controls in the body, you wouldn't want to 'wait and see' what happens, as I did with many others NOT in critical areas.

There is also the possibility of 'mass effect' from numerous small mets. And possible edema. Both of which carry the potential for some scary symptoms. You wouldn't want to have a 'surprise' seizure while driving or taking care of a baby/grandbaby etc.

So, personally, I think it is better to know what you may be dealing with, what your options are, what potential problems my occur...then you can make decisions based on that information.

Your onc saying brain mets may be overtreated is an idea I tend to agree with, in that WBR is predominately shoved as the first attack ASAP. If she means overtreated because brain mets will kill you anyway, found early or late, then I don't agree.

After five focalized radiation treatments, to 16 brain mets, spanning 18 months, no WBR, I am currently NED for 6 mos.

pattyz
Old 09-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
pattyz

This is sound thinking in part...yet if there were a smaller mets in a critical area, I think it would be better to find it sooner.

Example: MRI found a 3mm met on my pons/brain stem. It was treated, along with others, successfully. But, if you read up on what that area controls in the body, you wouldn't want to 'wait and see' what happens, as I did with many others NOT in critical areas.

There is also the possibility of 'mass effect' from numerous small mets. And possible edema. Both of which carry the potential for some scary symptoms. You wouldn't want to have a 'surprise' seizure while driving or taking care of a baby/grandbaby etc.

So, personally, I think it is better to know what you may be dealing with, what your options are, what potential problems my occur...then you can make decisions based on that information.

Your onc saying brain mets may be overtreated is an idea I tend to agree with, in that WBR is predominately shoved as the first attack ASAP. If she means overtreated because brain mets will kill you anyway, found early or late, then I don't agree.

After five focalized radiation treatments, to 16 brain mets, spanning 18 months, no WBR, I am currently NED for 6 mos.

pattyz