HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2004, 03:14 AM   #1
Kathie in New Jersey

If I asked this before, chalk it up to chemo brain. I have been on Herceptin now for going on four years. I can not remember when it started but I have a continuous running nose and a cough. When receiving tx on a weekly basis it would come on immediately following and last a few days. I was then put on it every three weeks and noticed a pattern. I am now on Taxol/gemzar/herceptin. I receive the threesome once a month and now I notice the running nose coming after the threesome but not as noticeable following the taxol/gemzar tx. So I have pinned it down to herceptin. Has anyone noticed this effect from herceptin? I am not complaining about Herceptin just would like to know if this is a common complaint or am I just nuts?
Kathie
Old 09-15-2004, 05:11 AM   #2
Alicia

Kathie,
I recieve herceptin every three weeks. I do not get a runny nose in fact it feels like I always have a stuffy nose!!!! I did have a runny nose when on Taxol, Carbo, and herceptin but I thought it seemed like it was from lack of nose hair and colder days. Have a great day! Alicia
Old 09-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Vicki Z

Hi Kathie,

I was only on Herceptin for 12 weeks with herceptin, taxol and carboplatin weekly for the first 3 weeks and herceptin alone for the 4th week. I, too, had a runny nose and an ongoing cough and attributed the runny nose part to no nose hairs. As for the cough, I would go into these coughing jags and the husband of another woman at the infusion center said his wife did the same time (she was on htc, too). I stopped my treatments in late Aug. and just now the coughing seems to be subsiding. I hope this helps you.

Always...my best,

Vicki Z in So. Calif.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
Judy

Gosh...I'm so glad to know it's not just me!!! My nose runs constantly....especially if I have my head down. I was taking golf lessons and it drove me nuts while driving balls (Keep your head down!:-) I'd hit a ball and wipe my nose...Even sewing it runs. I don't have the cough though. I have weekly herceptin alone. I figure if this is the worst that happens...I'm good:-) Good luck...
Old 09-15-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Esther

WOW! Glad you posted! I've had a runny nose off and on for what seems like forever, and never connected it to the Herceptin.

I get weekly Herceptin infusions, so I probably don't stand a chance of recovering....
Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
Sheila

Kathie
There was a post some time ago about this...seems like alot of people on Herceptin get the drippy nose...I have it every time I lean my head down, and the cough with it...both are an annoying but tolerable effect...with so many having this, you would think Genentech would list it as a side effect.
Hugs
Sgeila
Old 09-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
vicki

I was taking herceptin for 14 months along with several different chemos.I went into remission I chose to stop taking the hercept..In three months my cancer came back..Breast cancer in my Liver..I have now been on Herceptin and cisplatin.
For three years..I am very close to remission again..I will never stop taking Herceptin again..I truly believe that is why my cancer came back.
My Dr Rick Mckinney is the greatest around..He has spent a lot of time studying her2..He was trained at M.D.Anderson...But gets his information from all the large Medical Universities in America..And uses me in some of those studys.. Has kept me alive long enought for them to find the her2 in 1997..And started me on it in 98 when my cancer came back,the first thing he did was run the test on me..
There are still many DR's out there,that do not even test for her2..Which is really scarry....
Old 09-15-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Lolly

You're not nuts! I have a runny nose for a few days also, sometimes longer. I also have itchy tonsils which sometimes brings on a cough. I've been to an ENT, and he gave me a steroid spray to use, which helped, but I didn't like the idea of using it regularly so just live with it. It's a bother but a small price to pay.
Love, Lolly
Old 09-16-2004, 12:20 AM   #9
Kathie in NJ

How about eating? Does your nose run constantly then also? I hate going out to eat because I have to have a pile of tissues on my lap. Well atleast I found out that I am not the only nut out there with these symptoms. Thanks

Kathie
Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 AM   #10
Judy

Yes, Kathy...my nose runs ANY time I have my head down...cooking,eating, writing, sewing, gardening. Now...the computer works just fine as I'm looking up so no problem. I have a feeling it is just draining the other way. It is so watery so drains whichever way is easiest:-)Does that give me an excuse to me on the computer all day:-)