HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
JennyB

Re: Radiation after mastectomy of left breast--fearful

I had left radiation no major issued but it sure was sore about 2 days after completion for about 2 weeks I used Paw paw cream and wish I had started at the beginning with it as it melted away my pain.

Good luck

Jenny
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Paula O

Re: Radiation after mastectomy of left breast--fearful

I had 30 "aggresive" radiation treatments on the left side and was concerned about my heart and lungs too. I was also worried about radiation and chemo causing a different kind of cancer or destroying my remaining health eventually. I decided these were risks worth taking even though I sure didn't want to. I remember feeling like running out of those doctors offices and not coming back but I asked God to help me be brave and I want to live so I did what I needed to do.

My radiologist said it only would go down a level "like pancake thin". I did have a couple months of persistent severe coughing that was probably related to the radiation I was getting at the time. Because my back also got burned and itchy along with my front, I don't see how it only went down a "Pancake thin" level. However, so far so good so far --I seem to have made out OK. Chemo finished up for me last fall, radiation last winter, and Herceptin ended in June. I feel great, my faithful ticker and lungs are fine and I sure am hoping the cancer stays gone for good.

Bioteene and Silvadeen were very helpful for my radiation burns. I tried aloe vera then aquafer and other over the counter creams but they did not work well for me. It is important to not to use any cream or deoderant before any radiation treatments but to moisurize liberally afterwards (I did multiple times/day and showered before radiation to make sure it was all removed prior to treatment). Despite being very careful I did experience bad burning. On the day you go in "to get tatooed (just tiny dots) and marked with markers (you'll feel like a big map), wear a bra and shirt you don't care about. The marker on your skin stays on throughout radiation (they will touch up as needed) and stains fabric permanently. Through radiation treatment I used a couple of old camisoles that got ruined. A camisole was much more comfortable to me than a bra because of the burns.

I wish you the best!

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote