HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
chrislmelb

Pain control for bone mets

I am just wondering what people do? Last Tuesday i was put on Targin (read Oxycontin) 10mg twice a day and panadol osteo 3-4 times a day. I still have alot of discomfort but am not convinced it is just the mets. I was reading last night on the net and some people were saying the oxycintin didn't help them but Ibruprofen did etc etc
So what do all you girls take?

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Pain control for bone mets

Hi Christine,

Just read your other posting about confirmed bone mets...

The medicine your doctor prescribed are for osteoarthritis and pain control.
Below are the links to the two medicine precribed by your doctor:

http://www.gsk.com.au/products_consumer-healthcare-products_product-listing.aspx?view=51
Panadol Osteo is a sustained release formulation that can provide long-lasting relief from persistent pain such as that associated with Osteoarthritis…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone
Oxycodone oral medications are generally prescribed for the relief of moderate to severe pain. Currently it is formulated as single ingredient products or compounded products. Some common examples of compounding are oxycodone with acetaminophen/paracetamol or NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. The formulations are available as generics but are also made under various brand names. OxyContin is Purdue Pharma's brand for time-release oral oxycodone. The manufacturing rights to time-released generic oxycodone are under dispute.

Hope you will feel better soon. [Be sure to contact your doctor before you change/add any medicine by yourself...]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-14-2012 at 04:43 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
chrislmelb

Thanks Jackie, i know they are pain meds. Thanks for all those references. I am just wondering what others take as mine don't seem to do enough. No spots in particular stand out more so i am just after more even coverage.
Thanks

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva

Last edited by chrislmelb; 05-14-2012 at 04:32 PM..
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Joan M

Christine,

I never had bone mets (only lung and brain mets), but I've heard that radiofrequency ablation (RFA, which is not radiation, but rather radio waves) can be used sometimes to deaden bone pain from mets. (Or as one IR doc said to me once, it's a great feeling to see a mets patient get off the table after the procedure and walk away without hip or leg pain.)

Regardless of what your oncologist would say, you would need to speak directly to an interventional radiologist, which is the type of doctor that performs this procedure, to determine whether mets are the cause of the pain and whether they can do the procedure.

Basically, an IR doc can sometimes us RFA to ablate the nerve that causes the pain, depending on the location.

Praying that you find relief and just exactly what is causing the pain.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2023 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote