HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Princesswaffle

her2serum test results HELP

Hi,

I have a quick question for all you wonderful ladies! I want to give a little background before the question. I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer with one liver met, no node involvement 1 year ago and have been NED since Feb of this year. My doctor runs both tumor markers every three weeks which were both highly elevated when diagnosed. One was 600 and the other 1000. Now both are in the 11-14 range (since Feb) I also have a ctc test run every three weeks which is 0. I recently had a mastectomy on my left breast and the pathology was negative for DCIS and invasive cancer. I have pet and ct scans run every three months and the most recent yesterday which are all thankfully clear. I have also had multiple MRIs of my liver to monitor the original tumor which shows complete resolution.

I am currently on herceptin every three weeks, tomoxifin and lupron. I have also started taking tykerb as an added insurance policy, but a low dosage of two pills a day.

My question is that we run a her2serum test results very 6-10 weeks before I get my herceptin. The results of the test have always been in the range of 5-6.9. Now today my dr. Gave me results that were 32 which is more than 2x the normal range. My dr. Said she is not concerned since all labs and scans are normal. We will retest in two weeks. She said there could have been a lab mistake, the tube could have been read wrong, but it still scares me to think it went up so, so much in 8 weeks. I am so grateful for responding so well to treatment and I am finally feeling like I can breathe, but I still am genuinely concerned because this could indicate herceptin may not be working for me. Does anyone have any experience with this particular test or a situation similar to mine where results when retested were normal.

I appreciate any feedback!!
Princesswaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Princesswaffle

Re: her2serum test results HELP

Just want to bump this up to see if there is anyone who could respond. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Jackie07

Hi,

Below is a sentence in the last paragraph of one of the abstracts cited in a recent thread

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ight=her2serum

regarding Her2 serum test:

“sHER2 as a surrogate maker to optimize the evaluation of the HER2 status of a primary tumor and as a prognosis and predictive marker of response to therapies, both in early and metastatic breast cancer.”
Hope this helps.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Princesswaffle

Thank you so much for the link! I very much appreciate it. I know that the test is a prognostic tool, but wanted to see if anyone has had a test that may have shown an elevated level, that could have been a reading error on the lab part or an error in the handling of the tube, that after retesting was back in the normal range. I am somewhat concerned since, but all my other markers and scans have shown NED, so I am not sure what else there is I can do even if levels continue to rise and it is not a lab mistake. At this point my doctor is ecstatic at my progress and feels that since I am monitored by blood work every three weeks that there is no cause for concern and she is leaning towards an error. I want to agree, but I also want to hear other people who have had similar experiences.

Thank you!