HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
AlaskaAngel

Question Thinking outside the box

I see the posts by people who have been diagnosed with large mass breast cancers that went undetected by mammogram and ultrasound and they end up being diagnosed at advanced stages, and I am puzzled by it.

With these people, or with the people who have not been diagnosed with bc but who have particularly dense breasts, and sometimes their cancers aren't seen with just mammogram and ultrasound, I wonder why it isn't routine for doctors to reach into their bag of tricks and have those patients do simple labs like a CA 15-3, or even just the basis liver tests like ALT, AST and alk-phos, to see if those provide the kind of additional information that might result in a closer look, with better diagnosis?

Comments?

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Thinking outside the box

You would think that they are that 'smart'!

Doctors are seeing so many patients, they really don't spend enough time on individual cases.

When my recurrence was finally found, I began to question whether those 'high' protein numbers on the blood test reports could have been indicators of a growing tumor.

It's really hard to swallow the news when I was finally told about the recurrence. I 'should have' insisted on having bilateral mastectomy in 2003. I 'should have' insisted on getting Herceptin. I 'should have' requested for breast MRI...

Well, I'm going to watch Spur's game (against Miami) and forget about all these 'should'ves'...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Hopeful

AA, funny you should ask: http://www.springerlink.com/content/3m1l87v83w1w6j88/

They describe it as not ready for prime time, but it is the kind of out of the box thinking you encourage.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: Thinking outside the box

I hear you everyone !!!!!!!
Yes. Jackie. Alot of things are not addressed, because doctors have so many patients and are so busy. We have to be super proactive to get all our needs taken care of.
I think there was a movement to put certain general tumor marker blood tests on the list of things to do during an annual check up for everyone. I often thought that is neccessary before the movement even started.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
AlaskaAngel

When we are diagnosed with bc, even those with some medical training have a steep learning curve. I like the philosophy expressed in Becky's signature because it is so true, that we usually DO know more than we think we do, and are stronger than we think we are. Sometimes what seem like "odd" insights are simple but more valuable in actual application than the current professional "standard operating procedures". What is the harm of asking individually to have these labs run, if we happen to be people with dense breasts, even if our providers haven't thought about doing it? Doing them might even be just as helpful as doing MRI's as standard operating procedure for dense breasts, but a lot less invasive and less expensive. And if we don't think outside the box, some of these less expensive possibilities are less likely to become available to those who don't have the access to MRI's that some of us might have.

This also brought back a memory for me about something I had specifically asked my onc about in writing prior to receiving his recomendations about chemotherapy. He is a hematologist. At the time he totally ignored what I asked him, but it is possible that I was right on target, even more so than I knew at the time. (I am not a hematologist.) I had written him to tell him that a few years before being diagnosed with bc, I'd done an autologous blood donation for another surgery I'd had, and the ELISA testing of that blood had shown a reaction similar to HTLV but "indefinite". I wanted to know whether that reaction was related to my breast cancer, and whether having that reaction was any kind of indicator of greater hazard in regard to such future possibilities as leukemia if I were to have Adriamycin, Cytoxan, and 5-FU. At the time he ignored the question entirely, but for all we know, the reaction I had may have been the mysterious, still unknown, protein specifically indicating some part of my particular breast cancer. I received those ELISA test results 3 years prior to my diagnosis.

Was he the fool for not pursuing my question more thoroughly? I don't know. But I do think it was an intelligent question worth asking, and worth more respectful consideration from a hematologist, as an oncologist treating a patient for breast cancer with chemotherapy that affects the immune system.

AlaskaAngel
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED
Old 03-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
bejuce

Hi AlaskaAngel,

I've wondered the same thing about those tests - the CA 15-3 is just a blood draw but every time I'd ask an oncologist about it, they'd shrug it off, saying the test is not reliable, blah blah blah. I don't know why it's not - haven't done much research on it yet - and I don't know why it'd hurt the patient to offer it. Maybe it's an insurance issue?

I never got one myself, until yesterday that is - I asked the oncologist who's running the vaccine trial I'm on for a test, and he immediately said sure. Mine came back normal at 12.7 (yay!) but I have no idea what this means since I never did a baseline when I was diagnosed.

In any case, my experience in trying to get this test done just proved again how much we need to be our own advocates and talk to multiple doctors until we get what we want.

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Laurel

A.A.,

I wonder why in the case of dense breasts they do not automatically do magnified views with our mammos? In my case I had a labyrinth of DCIS that after magnified views had been taken could be easily seen, however on the standard views it did not show up at all. My onc. said it had to have been growing for years to be that extensive. I began my annual mammos at age 40. On my eighth mammo they saw a change in some calcs they had been watching for a few years (unknown to moi). This lead to a bx. After a positive bx I went to Hershey Med. where they ordered the magnified views. They showed me just how extensive the DCIS was which prompted them to urge me to have a mastectomy. Fortunately for me my invasive component was small, but had a magnified view been ordered anytime in the 8 years I was having mammos, the DCIS would probably been noted. My surgeon felt it had been growing over 10 years, which corresponds with my history. With my 3rd child I noted that my left breast was performing poorly where with the other 2 children it had been my better side. I remember thinking that it just seemed "clogged" somehow. No mastitis, so I just worked the right side more and it responded to the call. My son was 13 when I was dx'd with left sided breast cancer. I am guessing that cancer had begun sometime between my 2nd and 3rd child, more than 13 years until dx'd.

Moral of the story: tell your friends to ask if they have dense breasts. If so, insist on magnified views at least every other mammo!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
KDR

Hi, All
My BC Antigen 15-3 was always in the normal range--even when dx'd Stage IV. However, my CEA was 599.1 at dx and we use that a baseline. My facility uses these tests as guides only, and their scans trump all other tests.
One wish of mine? Docs would religiously do Vitamin D test.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Magnified views as a standard for dense breasts is another very interesting bit of "thinking outside the box", and hopefully will be read and given serious consideration by those here who are part of the process of evaluating proposals for further study of breast cancer.

Markers are not reliable for everyone. They measure the level of disturbance in the body processes, but the measurement can be the result of other disturbances than the particular focus of interest, such as breast cancer. For example, if one has a different disease that triggers some of the same body responses as breast cancer does, the marker would show a change even though it might have nothing to do with breast cancer. It is possible that markers may even change in response to diet.

In addition, for some patients the ups and downs of the marker readings create a lot of anxiety. Doctors respond to this by either doing the markers but just being aware of them as one more possible indicator and not making the patient aware of the results for anxious patients, or else they may decide not to have the test run for the more anxious patient.

I wanted a baseline. I get the one used for ovarian cancer because of family history for that, as well as one of the markers used for breast cancer. At the end of chemo mine were at the top end of normal and within a year they dropped down to staying in the low to midrange of normal. Some get the CA 27.29, some get the CA 15-3, (which are considered more applicable to breast cancer) and some in addition get the CA-125 (which is for ovarian cancer), and some get the CEA, which is for general cancer and other cancers. The CEA can turn out to be helpful for some with breast cancer.

I tend to think mine have not bounced around because I have no other chronic diseases of any kind. I also try to eat a low-inflammatory diet, and get moderate exercise.
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
NED