HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
karenl

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

Thanks Jackie and Mary for your replys. I just wrote to contribute about my side effects. I know I should be grateful, but I am still trying to feel normal again after all of the treatment. I am also second guessing my treatment for me because they were able to get all of the tumor with clear margins and I had 0 nodes. It just seems like overkill and the treatment is so toxic.
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
MCS

well. it's been a long time for me from herceptin. However, all the side effects you described, I had with Taxol, not herceptin.
I took CoQ10 for the heart. I don't run but I took a walk every morning around the block.
I used Sarna skin cream for the dry skin. Used Biotene for dry mouth too.
For the numbness and twitch on feet, I just massaged and massaged. It was while drivng, I stopped and massaged.
The aches, they don't go away with anything. I took vicodent and it did not work at all. actually ibuprofen worked better sometimes. i ended up in bed early evening, usually during the day I would not get it
Genetically, I have never slept well so I was taking ambien before bc. But i was placed on ativan due to anxiety. ativan will not help you to sleep-ask your doc to give you someting to sleep
yoga will be good for you. i do it now and it's so good for pain, flexibility and just your mind.
try meditating-I know it's hard with all going on. put your favorite music- I like the theme from the movie out of africa a lot-then close the door and breathe yoga breath, give yourself 20minutes a day.
look at funny movies
Hope it helps a bit
XO
maria

I'
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
sarah

Hello Karen,
we are all nodding out heads reading your post and have suffered many of the side effects but remember the best one is LIFE and we are all here thanks to these poisonous drugs.
Most of my worst side effects were due to the Taxol. I certainly couldn't have run or do other stuff while on it and I'm not sure one should put one's body through so much when you are "recovering" from heavy drugs - I suspect it can further weaken you but....... not a doctor so....
Femara, yes it's nasty but I would not have wanted to risk not taking it. most ot the side effects are manageable but you do need to check if it's eating your bones. It started eating mine and I had to take Clastoban to build back up my bones and they did improve.
Reading was my best distraction.
Be happy every day and if you find your moods are swinging wildly (not necessarily sad but angry and impatient or moody) consider taking a light anti-depressive, I know it helped me when the Femara (I think it was the Femara) made me moody.
Now off everything and feeling good so far.
take care