HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
emmastarr

feeling wobbly today

Have been feeling a bit wobbly today. I'm really worried about the future, particularly for my little boys, Louis(4) and Noah(2). What stresses me out is that my Onc does not do scans or blood tests unless you become symptomatic so how do we know how things are going or if the treatment is working? Anyone know what the 5/10 year stats/chances of recurrence are like for people with a similar diagnosis to me? I go back to work week Monday, am so not mentally ready for that.
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Delaney

Re: feeling wobbly today

I wish I had your stats. I think you have a great prognosis based on those but I do understand your fear. But I think as time goes on you will get more confident of living a long life with your little boys. Before you go back into the workforce, pamper yourself, do something you really like, you deserve it. I wish you all the best.
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
LoisLane

Emma I cant think of any better stats than yours. Stage 1 Grade 1. It is hard after treatment is completed because then we start to wonder about recurrence. Try to stay strong enjoy your little boys and live your life. It is true that oncologists dont do regular scans etc. Here in Canada that is the protocol. they dont want to put you through unnecessary testing and scans unless warranted. If you ever have symptoms that bother you for a while just speak to your family physician, dont worry about bothering them with questions that is what our health teams are for. Try to relax (I know easier said than done) and keep living your life. You will see those little ones grow up before your eyes and before you know it they will be away to college or university. take care. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Mary L

Red face Re: feeling wobbly today

Emma, It's hard in the early stages of recovery to not worry about reccurence. We all go through that. Unless you really don't feel well or have a specific sympton they do not do tests. You have a great prognosis and I know you love your children. You will be there for them. Maybe it is a good thing to go back to work and get your mind off your cancer. Please know it is normal to be scared about the cancer retuning but your little boys need you and you need to go on with your life. I wish you the best Emma. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Becky

Trust me, your stats are excellent! You will be around for a long, long time!!

My stats were much worse than yours (with positive node) and I am still here and doing well and so will you.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
suzan w

I agree, your stats look great! For us Her2+ folks, herceptin has worked wonders (miracles) so you are in a club with lots of positive results!!! xo
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
DonnaD

You have a right to feel wobbly. You surgery was not that long ago. Believe me; it gets easier as time goes on. Your stats are wonderful! I am much older than you and my kids are grown. I am enjoying being a grandma. Your kiddos are young. It is normal to think of the what if's. Herceptin is our miracle drug. Because of it you too will see grandchildren.

Many of us who are years out with no reoccurrence need to stay active on the board. I will do better. Many of our sisters are fighters and perhaps that is what many read. So many are doing fine and are on with life.

I know what you mean about scans not being done. I am hoping after June I will no longer need scans. I had some rib issues and my onc has been on top of things for years with CT's and bone scans. I think it is more stressful to go through scans than wait for symptons to appear. Just be on top of things and let you onc know if anything is not normal after two weeks.

Enjoy your children, and enjoy each day. Private message me at any time if you need a "pump up".
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 02-01-2011 at 03:45 PM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
tricia keegan

Emma as everyone has said your stats are great, I too had positive nodes and am still doing fine.

The reason they say they don't do regular scans without symptoms is that it's unlikely it would affect prognosis or treatment in find any mets earlier than that. I really don't know if thats true but it's what I've read many times, if I have a problem for longer than a few weeks my onc does order scans etc....you will get more confidence as time goes by
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Jackie07

Emma,

Grade I is not as fast growing as Grad II or Grade III. I'm glad you've caught it at such early stage. The Mastectomy and chemo should take care of it.

However, because you are diagnosed at such a young age, you might want to consider genetic counseling and perhaps take some preventive measures.

I was the first person in my family to have been disgnosed with a neoplasm - my life-long 'benigh' brain tumor (now reclassified as grade II) was diagnosed and surgically removed when I was 30. The next 20 years, while I was dealing with recurrence and another cancer diagnosis (breast cancer), my Mother (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma dianosed when she's 75) and my 2nd Brother (Colon Cancer at 58) also joined the rank of cancer survivors.

The genetic testing I requested more than a year ago did find a tiny 'Variant of unknown significance', so I underwent prophylactic hysterectomy/oophorectomy January last year after learning of 2nd Brother's cancer diagnosis and treatment.

I know the last thing in your mind is to have another procedure done. But I'd strongly urge you to gather your family history (parents, siblings, gradparents, cousins...) and request for a genetic testing.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-01-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
sassy

Hey Emma,

There are a lot of still us around and going strong with stats far poorer than yours. Look positively to the future.

Don't let today's worry rob you of tomorrow's joy!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Jean

Emma,
Chasing after two young children plus treatment and working outside the home....you are amazing!!!!!

It is so very normal to feel the worries soon after you have completed treatment. It takes time to seperate from your treatment and feel safe. I will be approaching my 6th year shortly and you will also! I remember well the fear and concerns of the first year or two. We as women worry about our children and families 24/7.

Your stats are similiar to mine. I had a grade 1, er+
pr- (not many in that subtype). Keep in mind that herceptin has changed the landscape for us. Is your dr. treating you with anything for the er+? That is another weapon to keep you free from recurrence.

I truly understand how you feel even though your stats are very good you still feel the worry. Just remind yourself you caught it early, you had herceptin and you are doing all you can to eat a healthy diet, get rest and LIVE....believe me you really will enjoy the days once again. Be patient - you were hit hard with a shocking dx it takes time for our minds to wrap around the fact that we have had treatment and will survive.

Soon enough you will be posting your cancerversary
to us...of 2 yrs. then 3...4,5,6, 7, etc. etc.

Wishing you peace and joy.
Hugs,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Trish

They are good stats as everyone has said. Good on you for getting on to it so quickly. It is not surprising you would be feeling a bit wobbly on the verge of a new stage of your life. I always find the transition between one stage and another the most unsettling time. Good luck with your return to work. I hope once you have settled back you may feel a little more normal. I'm sure Louis and Noah (great names) will have you for a long time to come.
Trish
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Unregistered

Thank you so much ladies for your posts, you made me feel so much better.
To Jackie07, yes, I am going to go ahead with a risk reducing mastectomy on the other side in about 12 weeks time. I have asked about an oophorectomy but my Onc thinks it's a bit extreme and doesn't think it is a good idea for someone of my age. I had the genetics test done which came back negative. Does anybody know anything about Becker implants? My recontructions options are silicone implants/becker implants because plastic surgeon says that I don't have enough tissue/fat for a TRAM or DIEP flap procedure. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Debbie L.

Have been feeling a bit wobbly today.

Emma, this is the time most people feel the most wobbly. Diagnosis and treatment-decision time is also hard but it has a different feel -- a moving-forward feel. Then treatment is grueling and there's so much happening that we use all our energies just to get thru it. It's typically when treatment is over and all the hubbub dies down that some of the hardest parts (emotionally) of the whole thing begins to hit us. And unless we have others to talk to who have been there/done that, it's also the time that most people in our life expect us to "be all better" and "over it". Well, we're not. We never will be entirely over it but this time right after treatment ends is the hardest time for many. And the difficulty (imho) has little to do with how favorable the details of diagnosis were (or weren't). Regardless of prognosis, this is our time to let it all sink in, regroup, and find our new normal. There's no one right way to do that -- you'll figure out the best way for you. But it's normal for it to be a time of turmoil.

What stresses me out is that my Onc does not do scans or blood tests unless you become symptomatic so how do we know how things are going or if the treatment is working?

One way to look at this is that scans and blood tests will not prevent or control a recurrence, they will simply detect it (it will happen or not, regardless of whether you are tested and scanned monthly or never). Except in a few rare instances, a recurrence would be just as treatable if found by symptoms or by tests before symptoms. Those rare instances where it might make a difference would typically be brain mets (rare for that to be a site of 1st recurrence) and small liver mets. If you really felt strongly about this, and you are rich, you could probably find a provider who would go along with scans of these sites but then how often would you want to do that? Yearly probably wouldn't be enough. It's a roller coaster lifestyle to endure all those scans (and all that radiation), most would not choose to live the rest of their life that way (but some would). As you'll see from responses here, most of us have the same kind of follow up after primary diagnosis (report and investigate symptoms) as you do.

Anyone know what the 5/10 year stats/chances of recurrence are like for people with a similar diagnosis to me?

Your onc should have told you that, if you want to know. Since you have some pretty rare details of diagnosis (grade I for HER2+ is unusual), there won't be a study that included lots of cancers just like yours, to give you the stats you desire. Probably you can take the stats for overall stage I and know that your individual odds are even better.

There's nothing we can say to make you less wobbly right now. Wobbliness is normal at this point. You will work through it, just like you worked through diagnosis, and treatment. You've done a lot of hard things already, this is just one more part of the process. Be gentle with yourself, talk to people who understand, and forgive those who don't (they can't help themselves).

Love and good thoughts,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
emmastarr

Thanks for that Debbie
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
emmastarr

I made a bit of a mistake earlier and forgot to register before leaving a message....what a plonker!
Thank you so much ladies for your posts, you made me feel so much better.
To Jackie07, yes, I am going to go ahead with a risk reducing mastectomy on the other side in about 12 weeks time. I have asked about an oophorectomy but my Onc thinks it's a bit extreme and doesn't think it is a good idea for someone of my age. I had the genetics test done which came back negative. Does anybody know anything about Becker implants? My recontructions options are silicone implants/becker implants because plastic surgeon says that I don't have enough tissue/fat for a TRAM or DIEP flap procedure. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Yesterday 10:28 PM
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Hopeful

Emma,

I attended a program for cancer surivors of all types two years ago at the hospital where I had my rads therapy. One seminar, on fear of recurrence, was run by two oncology nurses. The information they provided was that the anxiety over recurrence greatly subsided after two years (they had research on this). They did not know what the significance was, it just seemed that that was the period of time the psyche took to adjust and move forward. I see that your two year mark is not that far away. So, hang on, it does get better.

Best of luck to you,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote