HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
1rarebird

Chemo and bone loss questions

My questions are how often and how badly do chemo-therapies lead to bone loss, thinning, osteopnia and ultimately osteoporosis?

Today I was handed a copy of a bone density scan recently done on me that shows moderately severe osteopenia of my thigh bones (T scores of -2.1 and -1.7) . Two years ago the T scores were normal but since then I have undergone 6 rounds of Taxotere and Carboplatin. Now I know those drugs did a number on my bone marrow, since my complete blood counts were in the tank after the chemo was completed 4 months ago, but I was surprised to see such a dramatic impact on my bone density. I have been taking vitamin D3 supplements even before the chemo started and I have now started supplementing with calcium. So I am wondering if I should expect the bone loss to get more pronounced and when does Boniva, Fosamax, etc. start to be indicated for cancer patients having received chemo.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Shobha

Re: Chemo and bone loss questions

I too was shocked to find that I had osteopenia. Once you get this verdict, your primary care physician should immediately prescribe something to boost bone density. usually it is fosamax or Evista. You may be able to convince them to give you Boniva or Zometa, if your insurance will cover it.

I was given Evista. Calcium is a must with Vit D.

-shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Soccermom

http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmd.html#WHO

http://www.nof.org/osteoporosis/bmdtest.htm

I hope that there is something useful in the above links,Rare.

Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 03-22-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
BonnieR

I had density loss too. Did not have much improvement on Boniva but Actonel is working well. Also taking Calcium with D

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
LouLou

My T score was -2.37 and -1.87 post Chemo, as a base line before commencing an AI
I'm 39 and in menopause from Chemo. I'm now taking Arimidex and unfortunately in Aust we can not have a bisphsophate covered by the Govt unless you have a fracture, so it's only vit D and callcium suppliments at present.
My Onc will do anotherDexa scan in a few months to see how my bone desity is holding up.
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
1rarebird

Wink Re: Chemo and bone loss questions

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will check out the suggested links and try to learn as much as I can about bone loss and its risks.

Seems like every day since I learned I have breast cancer, there is a new "bag of worms" I have to deal with. And now I have two doctors (primary and oncologist) who at present appear to waiting on the other one to advise me on what to do. Well maybe I am too impatient, but I like to get on with what needs to be done.

Thanks again everyone--

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
PinkGirl

Hi Bird
I'd do some research on what estrogen does for a "male" body. I see
that you're estrogen receptor positive and on tamoxifin. I always assumed
that the bone loss women experience is because of the loss of estrogen ...
I didn't associate it with the actual chemotherapy. Good luck with all of
this Oh Rare One.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
felicia

Hello Bird!
I also have osteopenia in my left femur after 6 rounds of Taxotere and Carboplatin and 9 months of Zometa. My doctor told me that is no big deal, that everyone has a moderate osteopenia and should not scare me. Gave me Osteocare.
Felicia
22.09.2009 - Another 3 courses chemotherapy: Taxotere 75mg/m2 + Carboplatin AUC 6 + Herceptin 6 mg/kg - every 21 days; Zometa 4mg - every 28 days for bone metastases
02.12.2009 - PET/CT images shows no evidence of malignant tissue on the whole body
8.12.2009 - start radiotherapy 30 sessions
Herceptin and Zometa still
15.06.2010 - NED!!!

My story at:
http://feliciaenache.blogspot.com/20...estea-mea.html

felicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
1rarebird

Pinkgirl-- I put estrogen in males in the same category as breasts on males--well almost the same. I think male estrogen can help maintain bone health but as with females that are ER+ it is just as bad news--especially for those with Her2+ cancer. And breasts on males--I have been trying to come up with something more useless and so far I've had no luck. All I can see them achieving for males is causing trouble at times--like in the case of my breast cancer. If this evolution thing works so well as some say it does, then why haven't males evolved over the millenniums to the point they have no breasts??

felicia--Thanks for passing on the encourging words your doctor gave to you. I'll check into the Osteocare to see if it is available here. Catchy name for a calcium supplement which I assume it is.

bird

Tags
osteopenia, osteoporosis