HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Caregivers Corner
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Caregivers Corner Dedicated to those who support their loved ones.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Westcoastgirl

Re: Life changed November 09

Skip, I think that taxotere and taxol are similar. I got what I called spaghetti legs with it and lots of pain but with each infusion the pain and the spaghetti legs were less. I knew that the symptoms would leave eventually so was patient during the time but it was very hard on my husband. I also did not like my onc but what I did to feel more in control was sign a consent to release info to myself and have kept a binder of all results. I read and ask questions. It helped me to feel like I had some say in all of it.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Skip

Re: Life changed November 09

After our last visit with her onc shes more at ease with him, he talked to her like it came from his hart not a script. So she's not going to replace him.

I hope her side effects subside some it will bring her some peace.

Thanks.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
StephN

Wink Re: Life changed November 09

Hi Skip -
Getting comfortable with the onc is also akin to getting used to the fact that she has a disease and must fight it. Sometimes we have to learn not to "shoot the messenger." This may not be the case, and maybe he was really having a better day and seemed more humane.

The main thing is that you know that you have Loma Linda and other places for second opinions not too far away.

I have now been living 10 years with cancer. I had a major and fast invasion of my liver only 3 months after taking my initial treatments. My liver did not just have a couple of tumors; it was shot through with small as well as quite large tumors - covering about 60% of my liver in total. I was able to get some good drugs which stopped and quickly reversed the cancer. I have never had another tumor show up from my neck down since 2002.

Had 2 brain mets that showed up a couple years later, but I was being screened just in case and the tumors were successfully treated. That was 5 years ago.

You will see by my signature the rest of the details. When I had my breakout of liver mets, I was pretty scared as the stats in 2002 were way against me. But, I am here to encourage you and your wife to just accept the treatments as "life saving" drugs and not merely something that makes her feel even worse. I held that "life saving" carrot in front of me and asked the good Lord for a successful Search and Destroy Mission while on my way to each treatment and every night.

Your wife has a very high probability of chasing off her liver tumors and living a normal life span.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote