HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
vlcarr

Red face TCH Side Effects

Hello everyone,

Dana shared her experiences with me on what she experienced taking TCH. I just wanted to check with others to see what you could tell me and/or advice you can offer. I start next Thursday on the 15th.

I had my hair cut short as I don't want to deal with chunks of it falling out over time. My insurance company pays for one wig so I did get one but not sure how much I'll wear it.

Thanks so much.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
TSund

Re: TCH Side Effects

Hi Vicky,

You had results amazingly like Ruth did with TCH. Even better! Congrats to you. Now you'll sock it again. I guess the Tykerb trial was not going when she went into treatment; in fact at that point the TCH was not being done as normal protocol here in TX. We and her onc were really glad with the outcome.

Re: hair. Check out "Buff"s. Ruth bought a few of these in fun colors, and liked wearing it ever so much better than her wig. While the wig was well made and looked identical to her old hair, she found it uncomfortable and hot.

There are some older threads with lots of advice re: TCH. Do a search on the site, you'll find lots of useful stuff.

Best to you,

Terri
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
loricar3

Hi Vicky,

I started TCH on September 16th. Each Wednesday after that I get herceptin only. Yesterday I got all 3. Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. I have to take steroids the day before and I take that for 5 doses. I had my last dose of that this morning. I took Zofran this morning. I decided not to take compazine this time as last time it made me too sleepy. I vowed to take sleepy meds at night and non sleepy meds during the day. I had a neulasta shot today to bump up my white count. I took motrin for possible pain. I also took claritin.

For my first chemo round, fatigue was the worst. So let's see what happens this time.

I also dipped my fingernails in ice during infusion. I paint my nails with Sally Hansen's Hard as Wraps and then rub Tea Tree Oil into my cuticles.

I eat a bowl of Total Cereal every morning to get 100% of my iron requirement. Although my iron still only registers 11.6. It should be at least 12. I'm getting there.

I had my head buzzed on September 29th and it's now shedding a bunch more. I have a main wig, a hat with hair, more hats, scarves. They all make me feel better.

I had my teeth cleaned at the dentist BEFORE the chemo rounds began. I got a flu shot before too.

I'm drinking a lot of water all the time. I'm able to exercise and it helps.

I will take Ambien tonight to help me sleep. I need my rest, you do too. So if you have to do that.....realize rest is so important. A good night sleep.

Last time the neulasta gave me lots of body aches. So this time I'll manage that with Motrin during the day, and if necessary Loratab for pain at bedtime (as that is a sleepy one).

Well, I'm still wired from the steroids and I gained 6 pounds since only yesterday. All fluids I hope.

Hang in there!

Hugs,
Lori
Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma
ER+, PR+, HER2+
2.5 Tumor
Grade 3
Stage 2A
BRC1/BRC2 NEGATIVE
8/18 Lumpectomy
8/18 Sentinal Node Biopsy
clear nodes
clear margins
9/16/09 TCH Treatment
Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin
Every 3 weeks for 18 weeks total
Herceptin every week until 18 weeks
then every 3 weeks until 52 weeks are done
loricar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
loricar3

Vicky,

Also check out headcovers.com. Hats with hair are a great and easier option sometimes....instead of the full wig for me!

Lori
Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma
ER+, PR+, HER2+
2.5 Tumor
Grade 3
Stage 2A
BRC1/BRC2 NEGATIVE
8/18 Lumpectomy
8/18 Sentinal Node Biopsy
clear nodes
clear margins
9/16/09 TCH Treatment
Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin
Every 3 weeks for 18 weeks total
Herceptin every week until 18 weeks
then every 3 weeks until 52 weeks are done
loricar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
TSund

You might be interested in the thread way back when about mushroom extract and astragalus root. They seemed to really helped Ruth without affecting effectiveness of chemo. Her wbc went back up enough that she did not ever have to take a neulasta shot. The neulasta seems to cause more pain than the chemo itself. She avoided the supplements in 3-5 day window around the chemo itself just to be on the safe side.

If you don't suffer any negative "allergic" effects after first chemo you might consider asking your onc to lower the steroid dose. Ruth did this each time, as again, the steroids have their own side effects.

Ruth did frozen pea bags on her nails during taxotere as well as sucking on popsicles.
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
vlcarr

Thank you for sharing. What is the deal with your nails? Does it just dry them out?

I have a script for Ambien. What is the purpose of the steroids? Do you take those ahead of time? I see my onco for the first time since surgery which is the same day as my first treatment.

Thank you for the websites--I liked them both. I'm not real sure about the wigs either. I tend to be hot more than cold most of the time and sweat like a pig even before I got sick.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Chelee

Hi Vicky, They give you steriods to help prevent an allergic reaction. No one likes taking them but they do help prevent problems associated with chemo. They are usually prescribed by your onc to take the day before, of & day after your infusion. (So three days.) Now I know of some people that have been told to take them for 5 days if they are prone to problems.

As to your finger nails chemo is hard on them. They can get dried out and brittle. Towards the end of my treatment...I believe infusion five for myself on TCH...the nails on both my index finger and thumb turned black and eventually fell off. That's why you hear of some woman using peas or ice water during their infusion. They say it really helps. But afterwards all my nails grew back just fine so it really wasn't too bad.

I was treated with TCH and I found it was always day 3 for me that I had side affects from it. The first two days I felt great...so don't be surprised. Always take your nausea pills regardless ahead of time until you see how your affected? They work great and I had no problems with nausea. After I while on TCH I didn't even need to take them anymore. The worse thing was the awful taste I got in my mouth...either from Taxotere or Carbo? It was difficult for me to eat anything. Most people said they gained weight due to the steriods...but I actually lost 37 lbs with no problems. Food was just nasty to me. Heck of a way to diet. Ha.

Its good you have the Ambien because it's really hard to sleep when you've taken steroids. Always stay well hydrated...very important. Listen to your body and rest when you need too...don't push yourself to hard. Everyone reacts so different...lots of woman here did great and even worked through their entire treatment which amazes me! After you get your first infusion out of the way you will feel some relief. The fear before you start can be over whelming. Hang in there...you can do this.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
DanaRT

More tips for the 15th-- wear a blouse or v-neck shirt for your port and a warm thick cardigan.Bring along luxuious lip balm. My nails became brittle but I never lost them. The skin around my nails became thick and would split. Liquid band-aid worked best. It was ouchie. More later...typing on iPod is difficult. Big Hugs!

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Jean

vlcarr,

It is never as bad as we think the treatment will be.
Here are a few hints to help you along the way.

LITTLE HINTS TO PREPARE FOR CHEMO.
SEE YOUR DENTIST AND HAVE A CLEANING PRIOR TO CHEMO. (DURING CHEMO IT IS NOT ADVISABLE TO HAVE YOUR TEETH CLEANED AS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS LOWERED)
BUY A NEW TOOTHBRUSH EVERY 3 WEEKS WHILE ON CHEMO ( TO AVOID ANY MOUTH SORES OR INFECTIONS).

Mouth infections are more likely during chemo due to the white cells being reduced The chemo can temporarily reduce the number of white blood cells circulating in the blood. So, for a while during chemo the bodies resistance to infection may be reduced.

I found that eating yogurt two times per day during chemo helped. The natural bacteria in the yogurt helped maintain a good ph balance, at least it worked for me.
I did not have any issues such as thrush which is common.

NO MANICURES OR PEDICURES. (ONCE AGAIN TO AVOID ANY INFECTIONS)
BE PREPARED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF HEARTBURN…(SOME NEVER HAVE IT)
BUT IF YOU DO, PRUCHASE PRILOSEC WHICH IS SOLD OVER THE COUNTER AND TAKE IT A FEW DAYS PRIOR TO TREATMENT TO HAVE IT IN YOUR SYSTEM.
EAT HIGH PROTEIN FOODS AND AVOID HOT SPICY FOOD.
DRINK FLUIDS TO FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM DURING AND AFTER TREATMENT.
DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR NAUSEA MEDS EVEN IF YOU FEEL GREAT – THE NAUSEA CAN SNEEK UP ON YOU AND ONCE IT BEGINS IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME FOR THE MEDS TO KICK IN AND BREAK THE NAUSEA CYCLE. (I MADE THIS MISTAKE – I WAS FEELING SO GOOD I DIDN’T THINK I NEEDED THE MEDS SO I STOPPED THEM, BIG MISTAKE. IT TOOK ME A FEW DAYS TO STOP THE NAUSEA ONCE IT BEGAN.)
ALWAYS TAKE THEM!

DAY OF FIRST TREATMENT. This is a nerve wracking day to say the least, the fear of the unknown. We have all felt it. Wear very comfy, cozy and warm clothing, like a work out suit, the treatment rooms are rather cold and chilly. Wear pants with elastic bands for additional comfort. Take along a small snack food pack – such as apples, cheese, crackers, due to the fact it is a long day especially the first treatment.

I found that warm soaking baths were helpful and soothing to my muscles. The taxane can cause muscle ache (like a flu ache).
Alieve helps - also a heating pad on the legs. Elevate your legs.
Fresh air and walking is a great exercise.

I did work during my treatments. I found that day 1 after treatment was feeling fine. By day 2 felt like I was coming down with a flu, tired, ache and joint pain. This would last for two days by day 3 I was feeling 75% myself....day 4 back to work as normal. The TC is acumulative in nature so the first three rounds start to build and you may feel more fatigue as you near the finish line. Don't eat empty calorie foods. I also found sherbert to be great for taking away any sour taste metallic taste or sour stomach.

Sending you best wishes!
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
BonnieR

Your first day will be behind you soon. That is a good feeling. As Jean said, the anticipation is worse than the event. She gave you good suggestions about dressing warm and comfortably. Treatment rooms are always cold! Mine provided warmed blankets. They also served sandwich lunches because I was there most of a day each time. Have some diversion. Books, iPod. I kept a journal. Bring snacky things. The premeds made me hungry. Stay hydrated. I used to doze off due to the Benedryl in the IV. I only got steroids the day of the infusion. Never took any fingernail precautions and they were okay. We are all different.
I was very perky the day following tx but crashed around the 3rd day.
Have easy to eat food at home. Protein dense. Like yogurt, cheese, soups. Dont try to be Betty Crocker. My appetite and energy tanked
My onc suggested I take Glutamine daily (powder you mix with liquid) as it may help with neuropathy. Check with your doc. And be careful about other supplements. I just heard a lecture by the chief of our Cancer Center where she told us that suplements can interfere with the chemo drugs. Tell your doc everything you are taking.
Good luck. Keep us posted. And keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote