HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
sarah

herceptin and AI synergy? Lani? anyone?

Hello,
I remember reading something about Herceptin and AIs having some synergy and needing to take them together. Here's my question. Could I safely stop taking my AI, Femara, while continuing to take Herceptin??? Most of my annoying side effects - bone loss, etc come from taking the AI.
I'd really appreciate advice
thanks
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
Lani

Re: herceptin and AI synergy? Lani? anyone?

there has been a clinical trial showing that adding herceptin to letrozole(femara) improves disease free survival in those with metastatic breast cancer better than letrozole alone. The opposite has never been done.

Theoretically there is cross talk between the ER pathway and the her2 pathway and both should theoretically be blocked to avoid "escape" via the unblocked pathway. Dr. Slamon has stated at several conferences that he believes the best antihormonal treatment for those who are her2+ and treated with herceptin is faslodex, as it works in another way (it causes the estrogen receptors to fall off every cell irreversibly). Now that may be scary in those cells in one's body with estrogen receptors which do not often multiply and thus are unlikely to be replaced with new cells with estrogen receptors. These include the brain. Originally it was thought that faslodex may not cross the blood brain barrier, but a recent article supported that it does.

The absolute answer is not available and that may be because ER+her2+ breast cancer represents about 10% of all breast cancer and because a recent article I posted showed that delay from time of taking the biopsy to placing the specimen formalin may alter the ER, PR and her2 results. So a lot of "conclusions" and even Adjuvant online and results of many clinical trials and stats presented to patients may not be accurate. Lots to think about, but the answer is....we don't know yet.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Rich66

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ncer+treatment
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
sarah

Thanks Lani and Rich for this information. I didn't realize I was in such a minority being ER+. Reading Rich's post elsewhere makes it sound like you had better take them both. bummer, I was hoping to give up the Femara which has the side effects and stay on Herceptin for one more year. A friend suggested Evista/raloxifene which apparently is also good for the bones. Any thoughts or comments?

Here was Rich's post:
Combined ER and HER-targeted therapy in breast cancer treatment
Combined ER and HER-targeted therapy in breast cancer treatment

Citation: THE BREAST, Volume 18, Supplement 1, March 2009, Page S8

K. Osborne1, R. Schiff1

1Breast Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA

The estrogen receptor (ER) and HER signaling networks are complex, redundant, evolvable and robust pathways, each with several regulatory controls. Several levels of crosstalk between these two networks act as modulatory circuits that when altered can contribute to resistance to therapies targeting them. Nuclear ER when bound by estrogen increases the expression of ligands binding to HER receptors while at the same time reducing the expression of the receptors themselves. At the same time, the HER signaling pathway reduces expression of ER and progesterone receptor (PR) while it can activate ER functionally through phosphorylation of the receptor and its coactivators. Therefore, blockade of ER signaling by endocrine therapy can increase the cellular content of HER1 and HER2, while blockade of HER signaling can increase the expression of ER and PR. Non-nuclear ER can also activate the HER signaling pathway by several mechanisms at the level of the cell membrane. Although there are several potential mechanisms for resistance to ER and HER-targeted therapy, preclinical data from our group and others, as well as supporting data from recent clinical trials, indicate that upregulation at the HER signaling pathway can cause resistance to ER-targeted therapy and that upregulation of ER signaling can cause resistance to HER-targeted therapy.
These data suggest that optimal treatment in some patients using therapies targeting these two pathways might necessitate simultaneous blockade of both pathways. In preclinical models and, now, data from clinical trials, simultaneous use of endocrine therapy to target ER and therapy targeting the HER receptor network can overcome resistance to endocrine therapy and delay the time to tumor progression. Using a combination of HER inhibitors to completely block the HER pathway together with ER blockade is very potent therapy in preclinical xenograft models of ER+/HER2+ tumors and is able to eradicate tumors even after short term therapy. In ER+ tumors that express initially low levels of HER receptors, the addition of HER receptor blockade to endocrine therapy anticipating upregulation of HER receptors during endocrine therapy delays the emergence of resistance and prolongs time to progression. Combined HER-targeted therapy in this situation does not eradicate these xenograft tumors indicating that other survival pathways still function and that these tumors have not yet become “oncogene addicted” to the HER pathway. There is an urgent need to biopsy patients immediately before embarking on targeted therapy to profile the tumor and to select the optimal patient for this new approach.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
sassy

Zometa is another option for rebuilding bones with loss due to AI's. I have been on Zometa for three years. After an initial loss, showed an increase after beginning Zometa. (Zoledronic acid)

This article should be helpful.

BTW--welcome to the 10%!

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingC...eeting/tb/7690
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Becky

Evista and Tamoxifen work in the same way - binding to the ER site while AIs prevent the production of estrogen.

That said, Tamoxifen in Her2+ women is said to promote increased activation of Her2 but not if taken together with Herceptin.

One thought to explore with your medical team is going off the AI but switching to Tamoxifen or Evista during the time you are also on Herceptin therapy. You are blocking both receptors but Evista or Tamoxifen are much kinder to the bones (and can actually make the bones better).

Sassy's idea on adding Zometa is also a good one since not only does it rebuild bone but it also is a chemopreventitive (prevents mets not only in the bones but also in soft tissue).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
sarah

many thanks for your answers and ideas. I really appreciate having all of you to talk to - you are my life line and extended family. let me know if you ever head to southern france.
I am going to take the article about the synergy between AIs and Herceptin (translated into pigin French!) to my chemo doc and ask her what she thinks about zometa and/or Evista.
I've handled the side effects for 5 years, so if all else fails, I can handle them for another year or so. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to stop Hercptin or continue for life. I wish they could believe in Gina's system or getting less and more depending on the serum test (not sure if it's done here).
I once asked about Zometa and they told me it's a monthly injection - is that correct? because that would complicate my life more!!!!
hugs and love to all of you and hope for good health and fun in your lives
sarah
Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Becky

Dear Sarah

Zometa is a monthly infusion IF you have bone mets. For osteopenia or osteoporesis, it is an every 6 months infusion. The first infusion is hard (the next day) with flu like symptoms and bone ache (maybe even a slight fever - I had one of 101). However, even with the next infusion being 6 months later, all the next ones are like nothing happened.

I am pretty sure you will not be permitted to take an AI and Evista as they are both antihormonals. However, even if you switch from the AI to Evista (or Tamoxifen), you can still get biannual Zometa infusions.

Cheers,

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Rich66

"Dr. Slamon has stated at several conferences that he believes the best antihormonal treatment for those who are her2+ and treated with herceptin is faslodex, as it works in another way (it causes the estrogen receptors to fall off every cell irreversibly). Now that may be scary in those cells in one's body with estrogen receptors which do not often multiply and thus are unlikely to be replaced with new cells with estrogen receptors. These include the brain. Originally it was thought that faslodex may not cross the blood brain barrier, but a recent article supported that it does."

This is interesting. Based on the way it works, I've often wondered why Faslodex/Fulvestrant wasn't the go to endocrine treatment. There is info suggesting it has synergy with chemo other than Herceptin as well. Is there a quote from Slamon on this? Any info on the negative side effects suggested?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Lani

faslodex is only approved in stage IV and only after other antihormonals fail.

It is a monthly injection and so far, noone has tried to move it into the adjuvant setting

Haven't seen Dr. Slamon's opinion in print, but if I see a conference recording/video which contains this quote (I have heard him say it at least three times) I will try to remember to post the link.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
Laurel

Angry Re: herceptin and AI synergy? Lani? anyone?

Okay, so in the adjuvant setting with our year of Herceptin and our 5 years of hormone therapy are we potentially upregulating the Her2 while trying to down regulate the ER/PR for the four years post-Herceptin that we continue with just the A.I.s? I recently decided to drop Tamoxifen and begin Femara after completion of my year of Herceptin. My understanding of Tamoxifen with Her2 is if you are not a high metabolizer than the metabolized Tamoxifen actually stimulates Her2. Not sure if I have this correct or not.
Feels like us members of the 10% club are flying blind on this one! Disconcerting at best.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
suzan w

Hi Sarah, you might also check into Forteo (daily injection for 2 years) for bone improvement...worked for me. Once the Forteo is done, then it is a yearly Reclast (zometa) infusion.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Rich66

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39563
Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
sarah

Thanks everyone. You've offered possible solutions and given me good ideas.
A+ as they say here
sarah
Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
Rich66

Bien sur. Avec plasir.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #16
sarah

Merci, A+
Sarah
The Canadian living in France with universal health care and the joie de vivre!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
Lani

this study done in humans, neoadjuvantly, looking realtime at adaptation of tumors to AI treatment.

It seems her2 expression was upregulated as a response to the estrogen deprivation.

Br J Cancer. 2009 Sep 15. [Epub ahead of print]

Nuclear receptor co-activators and HER-2/neu are upregulated in breast cancer patients during neo-adjuvant treatment with aromatase inhibitors.

Flågeng MH, Haugan Moi LL, Dixon JM, Geisler J, Lien EA, Miller WR, Lønning PE, Mellgren G.
[1] Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, N-5021 Bergen, Norway [2] The Hormone Laboratory, Haukeland University Hospital, N-5021 Bergen, Norway.
Background:Acquired resistance to endocrine therapy in breast cancer is poorly understood. Characterisation of the molecular response to aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer tissue may provide important information regarding development of oestrogen hypersensitivity.Methods:We examined the expression levels of nuclear receptor co-regulators, the orphan nuclear receptor liver receptor homologue-1 and HER-2/neu growth factor receptor using real-time RT-PCR before and after 13-16 weeks of primary medical treatment with the aromatase inhibitors anastrozole or letrozole.Results:mRNA expression of the steroid receptor co-activator 1 (SRC-1) and peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor gamma co-activator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) was correlated (P=0.002), and both co-activators increased during treatment in the patient group as a whole (P=0.008 and P=0.032, respectively), as well as in the subgroup of patients achieving an objective treatment response (P=0.002 and P=0.006). Although we recorded no significant change in SRC-3/amplified in breast cancer 1 level, the expression correlated positively to the change of SRC-1 (P=0.002). Notably, we recorded an increase in HER-2/neu levels during therapy in the total patient group (18 out of 26; P=0.016), but in particular among responders (15 out of 21; P=0.008).Conclusion:Our results show an upregulation of co-activator mRNA and HER-2/neu during treatment with aromatase inhibitors. These mechanisms may represent an early adaption of the breast cancer cells to oestrogen deprivation in vivo.British Journal of Cancer advance online publication, 15 September 2009; doi:10.1038/sj.bjc.6605324 www.bjcancer.com.
PMID: 19755984