HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Ted_Hutchinson

Re: A must watch - Risk Breast cancer and vitamin D 50-80% risk reduction

Quote:
I find importing from America very straightforward and have done this on many occasions. Generally it arrives as quickly as when I order fro the UK
For newbies the only problem is order value.
Above £18 order value UK customs charges 15% duty.
That would not be major problem as 15% of £20 is only £3
but our UK post office imposes a handling charge of £8 to collect the £3

So you need to check your order value is under £18 if possible before you confirm the order. I've only been caught out a few times but it is irritating when it happens.

The alternative is to try to increase the order singificantly so the customs duty + handling charge are outweighed by the savings on the supplements you have bought.
Ted_Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
R.B.

Thanks Ted for some great links.

Dr Mercola's suggestion that it take two days to absorb, and will be washed off with soap is thought provoking.

The Dr Mercola link is worth listening to.

Cats know this and are not known for taking showers, and get theirs from licking their coats.

A question that occurs to me is what effect do skin moisturising products have on both the ability of the skin to make vit D and the absorption of it.

Oils in moisturisers could dilute D and abstract it by increasing the absorption by clothing etc.

How much vitamin D gets rubbed off by clothing?

R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Unregistered

Apparently Ted Hutchinson DOES have a financial link to iHerb. He was banned from the board at the link below.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-f...php?f=1&t=5290
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Unregistered

Thank you, Ted, even if you may be trying to make a profit. I appeciate any and all information and process it like I wish. I am unregistered because that's the only way I can post. Last year, when I joined and thereafter, this site will not recognize my e-mail, so I've been content just lurking. I am the unregistered lurker from South Florida, not the unregistered from the post above who obviously doesn't want to be known. I do find your information interesting as well as R.B's.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
R.B.

In defence of Teds posts there are some excellent links, from some notable institutions. I have at various points in time searched extensively on the subject and not found for example the University of California videos.

It takes considerable time to build up the sort knowledge he appears to have, and well argued post do not happen by themselves but take a considerable amount of time.

The link he gives does appear to offer excellent value. Ted has not pushed it extensively and has offered an alternative. I have no idea whether he gets a very small commission from iherb or not, and as the product appears to offer very good value personally cannot get very excited either way. If Ted was trying to bring our attention to an expensive product for which there were other better and cheaper options on the market I would feel indignant.

This is another company who are well known for value and quality nutritional products and they are a little more expensive for a similar product, and I have no relationship with them beyond being an occasional customer.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...tt=vitamin%20d

I hope the Ted continues to post here as it is invaluable to have current up-to-date and relevant trials brought to us rather the having to go and find them which I can assure you can be extremely time-consuming.

PS The possibility that Vit D is a factor in autism is being seriously discussed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17920208

Last edited by R.B.; 08-17-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
R.B.

I woke up with this thread on my mind this morning. I am not endorsing Ted's lack of disclosure if true, and sadly it appears that it is. I have just searched the code WAB666 and it appears Ted has been very busy indeed. There are pages and pages of his posts to sites looking at the vitamin D issue. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I suppose he is a microcosm of the way our market driven world works, but that does not make me feel any better.

He has brought valuable information but his lack of disclosure has unjustifiably tainted information from quality institutions.

This is a link to UCTV in case anybody is beginning to wonder if they are a whacky fringe broadcaster.

http://www.uctv.tv/about/

Launched in January 2000, University of California Television (UCTV) is a non-commercial channel featuring 24/7 programming from throughout the University of California, the nation’s premier research university made up of ten campuses, three national labs and affiliated institutions.

UCTV embraces the core missions of the University of California – teaching, research, and public service -- through quality, in-depth television that brings to life the tremendous range of knowledge, culture and dialogue generated on UC’s diverse campuses. Through its powerful reach on satellite, cable and the web, UCTV transports this knowledge far beyond the campus borders and into the homes and lives of millions of viewers around the globe.

Last edited by R.B.; 08-18-2009 at 12:45 AM..
Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Ted_Hutchinson

Everyone who uses IHERB gets a reward code.
Sharing your reward code with others means not only do they get a $5 discount but also there is a small discount applied to your future orders.

My aim in posting information about vitamin D is to ensure people are aware of the latest scientific evidence.

It seems to me immoral to suggest to people in the UK that they need to use around 5000iu/daily D3 but not explain where the cheapest/easiest/most reliable place to purchase is, particularly as 5000iu are not available in the UK.

Not only is the service IHERB provides excellent but generally speaking their postal charges are cheaper than the competition. However over the long term they work out cheaper because of the extra discounts that come from bulk buying or those that accrue as you share your rewards code with friends and workmates or online.

The amount of discount the IHERB rewards scheme provides is trivial.
As far as I am concerned it is totally irrelevant and plays absolutely no part in my decision making.

You have got to get your priorities right.

What is the aim of this forum, or indeed forums for Diabetes, Pakinson's, Alzheimer's or Celiac?

Is it to provide accurate up to date scientific information that enables people to better understand their condition and be better placed to make evidence based decisions about diet/supplement use that MAY help control that condition?

I am perfectly happy to provide the scientific sources for all the information I supply.
If anyone wants to debate that information further then that's fine providing they go to the trouble of providing equivalent sources of information so I can then explain why I think the information I provide is to be preferred.

In these recessionary times we have to take into account the best interests of all readers and that includes our readers best financial interests.

Does RB's link to vitacost provide a cheaper source of 5000iu D3 than the link I provided to IHERB?
Check it out
What do you find?

Why should I be ashamed of providing people with a link to the cheapest source of D3?

Everyone who uses IHERB and who spreads their rewards code around as much as I do will know just how insignificant the discounts are.
I ONLY provide the link to IHERB where they offer the cheapest source I am aware of.
As you know I link to Biotech for 50,000iu and provide links to the cheapest UK source for those who dislike importing. Neither of these sources provide rewards codes or any rebate in kind to me But that doesn't stop me suggesting them.

I hope people choose IHERB because it pleases me to think other people are also getting a bargain. I hate to think people are being ripped off.
I hope other people are smart enough to share their IHERB rewards code so they also can benefit from ongoing discounts to further orders.
I take the view that the lower the cost of using Vitamin D3 the more likely it is that people will use it and this extends also to the future discounts they will get if they follow my suggestion to share their rewards code with others.

I'm sure everyone who does so will soon become aware of the trivial nature of these rewards. However a trivial discount off your next order is better than no discount. Who better to explain where the cheapest place to get your supplements from than the person who sometimes, if he's very lucky, only has to pay the postage charge.

I cannot understand the mentality of people who choose to cut their nose to spite their face. Similarly I find it hard to comprehend why anyone takes exception to being shown the cheapest source of a particular supplement.

R.B. when posting on other forums regularly links to his book. No one makes snide remarks about the profit this may bring to him. I wouldn't dream of doing so because it is absolutely clear his motive is not his own personal profit but the fact that people need to be made aware of the importance of the information he provides and whatever the income R.B.derives from the sale of his book is truly insignificant when taken into account the time and effort RB spends in explaining carefully and thoroughly the evidence he has considered. It would be insulting to suggest RB is only posting to obtain free publicity to obtain further profit from his book sales. Personal profit isn't his motive, any more it is mine. In the same way that RB provides accurate science based information to help others improve their health, so do I.

In exactly the same way the income (if one calls discount on supplement purchases an income) I derive from suggesting people use the cheapest reputable source of vitamin D3 I am aware of is utterly trivial, in comparison with the time I spend explaining, researching and sharing the valuable information I provide.
Make no mistake about it I get absolutely no reward for providing links to D Action

I do get a small discount off my next IHERB order if you use my code.
My motives for providing that link are to help you get the cheapest deal possible. If you are smart enough you will spread your code around and you will also get future discounts off your next order.

I believe it is morally wrong not to explain where the cheapest source is if I know it.

I think it is morally wrong to prevent people having access to the cheapest source.

I think when people are under stress with a chronic condition the last thing they need is to be ripped off by people taking advantage of their ignorance and therefore by providing a link to the cheapest source I'm aware of this saves them time, money and stress.

I think trying to smear the accuracy of the information I provide with the implication that I am promoting it for my own financial profit is not only insulting but so far from the truth it is laughable.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Vitamin D discussion

As someone who has been posting for ages here to try to help others seriously consider the importance of vitamin D, I appreciate the entire discussion of it here.

People with cancer are a vulnerable group when it comes to any therapies, conventional and otherwise. The discussion in the diabetes forum is a good example of why it is so important to be very up front about even the smallest implication that one's perspective has any bias at all. Providing others with helpful info about inexpensive sources certainly has its good points, but it has to be consistently very carefully done to avoid confusion and distraction from the very reason for posting the information about something like vitamin D in the first place.

I hope everyone will keep looking at vitamin D supplementation as a very real consideration.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Ted_Hutchinson

Quote:
People with cancer are a vulnerable group when it comes to any therapies, conventional and otherwise.
Which is one of the reasons why when we are considering a supplement to current treatment options that MAY be helpful but where more research still needs doing it's important that value for money is an issue and the annual cost of a suggestion has to be taken into account.
What is cheaper than a $40 25(OH)D test + $14.98 yearly supplement cost?

Quote:
The discussion in the diabetes forum is a good example of why it is so important to be very up front about even the smallest implication that one's perspective has any bias at all.
I don't agree with you here if we pander to bullies they will continue to bully.
I tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
I try to help people where I can.
I have surplus fruit/veg in the garden at the moment, I pick it and put it in bags for passersby to take. I leave a donations box. Does this mean that as I get a trivial hypothetical income from fruit and veg I'm obliged to preface any comment I make about the health benefits of fruit and veg that I get a trivial income from their so called "sale"

No, I think that would be ludicrous and in the same way I think anyone who thinks you can make an income from telling people where the cheapest source of Vitamin D is to be found is nothing but a fool.
I don't think it is helpful to suffer fools kindly.

Quote:
Providing others with helpful info about inexpensive sources certainly has its good points, but it has to be consistently very carefully done to avoid confusion and distraction from the very reason for posting the information about something like vitamin D in the first place.
But if that means giving in the mindless fools who are more intent on point scoring and who are so ethically challenged as to not be aware of the consequences of their actions then I disagree.
I don't like spam any more than anyone else here does.
But if some people aren't sufficiently intelligent to distinguish between evidence based scientific information and spam then that's their problem.
I don't see why they should be allowed to spoil it for others.
I only post at sites where the best interests of the readers come first.
If mentioning the world's cheapest source of vitamin D3 where it is relevant disqualifies me from making further posts here that's your loss not mine.
I have plenty of better things to do with my time that waste it talking to fools.

Quote:
I hope everyone will keep looking at vitamin D supplementation as a very real consideration.

AlaskaAngel
Indeed so do I.
But if you think I care on jot where you buy your vitamin D3 you are sadly mistaken.
If you want to cut your nose to spite your face then more fool you.
If you want to stop other people finding out where the cheapest source of D3 is to be found then shame on you.
I want no part of it.
Either you are wholeheartedly on the side of people with chronic conditions or you are against them. There really is no half way house.