HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
wtfsanjo

there is a lot of data that says tamoxifen doesn't work nearly as well in Her2+ patients - some data says it doesn't work at all in Her2+ patients. however, the addition of herceptin interacts with the tamoxifen in Her2+ patients and makes the tamoxifen work better. i took tamoxifen during herceptin, and discontinued after the end of herceptin. at that point i strongly considering ovarian ablation (i was 28, premenopausal) and an aromatase inhibitor. if you are strongly hormone positive, i would definitely recommend an AI versus tamoxifen. oncologists are generally resistant to this idea of tamoxifen resistance in Her2+ patients - at this point the available data hasn't reached a critical point to change standard of care for Her2+ patients. most oncologists would agree, however, that tamoxifen doesn't work as well in Her2+ - if i had been more hormone positive that i was, my ovaries would be shut down already and i'd be on femara. no question.

katie
ER-/PR+(10%)/Her2+++
grade 3 (9/9), Ki-67 85%
DD AC/DD T, herceptin, tamoxifen
bilateral mastectomy w/ saline impants
wtfsanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Hopeful

Amelia,

Here is a link to a thread that contains several excellent links on this topic: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...eferrerid=1173

I agree with Katie's remarks above completely when she says, "oncologists are generally resistant to this idea of tamoxifen resistance in Her2+ patients - at this point the available data hasn't reached a critical point to change standard of care for Her2+ patients," and would add that those of us on this Board do a pretty good job of staying ahead of the curve in terms of reading papers and studies that apply to Her2+ patients, and often are the ones who bring this information to the attention of our doctors. IMO, it is always wise to keep asking questions until you get answers that make sense.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Unregistered

Implants

Hi,
I am new to this whole thing and am considering my options. I would love to ask if you are happy you did implants, if you have had any trouble with them?

Thanks!