HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
jentx

hormone treatment

I posted about this a while back, but have new information-- and new confusion-- and am getting no help from my onc.

I'm highly ER/PR receptive and highly Her2 positive, premenopausal, through with chemo and reconstruction. On Tamox with almost no SEs, tested and found to be a good metabolizer.

I was all set to enroll in SOFT or at least begin OS or get an ooph on my own, when my bone density came back saying I'm osteopenic.

Now what?

1. My sense is that the readily available meds are less effective than Zometa (maybe much less effective), but I can't tell if Zometa is available to me?

2. It now seems on ooph might be a bad idea, but is OS any better?

3. Does all this info affect my hormone drug choice? Also, I'm hesitant to do AIs-- first, b/c of recent concerns about pairing them with OS; second, b/c of the painful SEs; and third, because I understand they're much more bone-depleting than Tamoxifen. But what about concerns about Tamox-Her2 interaction post Herceptin (I'm done with H in May)

4. I have an appointment to see a gyn onc. Should I see an endocrinologist too?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but my onc-- who has been wonderful-- just shrugs at me WHEN I can see her at all, which is essentially never.

Any advice?

I'm really on my own here and my flu-rattled brain is making it difficult to find and shift through the data out there.

Thanks in advance!
jentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
ampotter

bone loss

I am in a similar situation. Diagnosed in 12/05 completed Herceptin. I started Tamoxifen in 8/06 while I was on Herceptin. In 8/07 I requested a bone density since my sister also a BC survivor has osteoporosis. My onc referred me to a rheumatologist who now has me on Fosomax. I would suggest trying to get in with a rheumatologist.

good luck
Ann Marie
ampotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed