HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Becky

I drink a couple of glasses of wine on weekend nights. If I go out to dinner, I will have a cocktail too. Didn't do anything during chemo because I felt my liver was busy enough as it was but on herceptin alone, I drank.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Carol Carlson

I was diagnosed in early March of '04. I did not have any alcohol after surgeries , chemo and rads. essentionally the entire year. Probably because the simple mention of alcohol turned my stomach. About 2-3 months after treatment, I had a glass of wine and it actually tasted good..
Since then I usually have a glass or 2 if we go out to dinner or if I get together with friends. I actualy asked my oncologist about it and she said I really didn't consume enough to be a concern and basically said, " The amonut of wine that you drink will not likely increase your chances of recurrace and did not seem at all concerned, and PCP is not at all concerned. So taking their lead, I do have a occasional glass or 2 of wine
on an occassional basis and don't really worry about it.
It's supposed to be so good for cardio-vascular status, depending on what article you read, I feel a little the same about breast cancer.
At age 67, I'm not going to fret about it. I'm a 4 year survivor and plan to be around a very long time . ( and I actually have a Hershey's candy bar with Almonds on occasion ) tsk. tsk
As someone postd previously, moderation is the key. AND I laugh more when I have wine which soooo healthly.
And that's my stand.
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Bev

http://www.cancerpage.com/news/article.asp?id=11974
If this link takes, I think it might have more. My doc's only restrictions were not the day before or day of chemo. During chemo, alcohol wasn't terribly appetizing. It seems to me the studies aren't conclusive, so I still drink beer. I'm really guessing here, but it would seem that AI's would be more effective in mopping up excess estrogen created by alcohol consumption than tamoxifen, which would only matter if you're ER+.

I think this is another one of those you have to weigh and decide. I've decided not to let it worry me. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Kim in CA

I hate to admit this, but one of the high lights of my trip to Seattle each month, for my Her2 vaccine, was a margarita at the Sea Tac airport while waiting for our flight home. They have the Best margaritas I have ever tasted!

I never drank while on chemo, and don't drink on the days I get my Herceptin, but have an occasional glass of wine or ale when it suits me.

I also most definitely have an ice cold Corona after one of my endurance rides. It is a tradition that my riding girl friends and I take pretty seriously!

Hoping I'm not sounding too much like a lush! Kim

PS I never drink and ride at the same time!

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
nancy dip

thanks

for all the replies. It's Saturday 5.30pm here in Glasgow and I'll raise a guilt free glass to you all tonight! (Is it a side effect of this disease to need constant reassurance?!?) Nancy
Chemo was Epirubicin every 3wks x4 then Xeloda (2wks on, 1wk off) for 4 cycles. ( I am part of the TACT2 trial.)
Rads x25
Arimidex for 5 yrs.
Hoping to start Herceptin within the next 2 weeks (we have to follow the HERA protocol to qualify for Herceptin in the U.K.) I worry about the delay in starting Herceptin!! Started 8/10/07
nancy dip is offline   Reply With Quote