HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Jyber

^^ Thanks, Janelle.
I got a total of 8 herceptin treatments (once every three weeks) from early June until early Novermber. Then it was stopped and I have been hoping for an LVEF recovery to resume (a herceptin "challenge" as my oncologist calls it). So by my calculations I got one fewer than half of the 18 herceptin infusions I would ordinarily get in a year.

GuessIcan just hope it was enough!

Has anyone resumed herceptin following a break?
mastectomy 2/07;
SNB negative :-) ;
chemo (AC, followed by Taxol); herceptin scheduled until 6/08 but stopped 11/07 due to LVEF drop)
Jyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Lani

Jyber

I know of an 84 year old who got 5 months of herceptin before her LVEF dropped from 55% to 40%. She had had heart valve repair surgery 12 years previously and a pacemaker implanted 1 year before. It took about 6 or 7 months, but her heart function returned to baseline.

That said there are review articles with institution wide and multiinstitution wide experience with this. One is from MD Anderson, another by Sharon Hunt of Stanford and Edith Perez has reported on this as part of her reviews of the North American Herceptin trials experience.

I post many of these unless I think they will worry people more than help.

If you would like to hear more than anecdotal evidence, google Entrez PubMed and enter "herceptin cardiotoxicity" into the rectangle (not geakspeak, but I hope you understand my nontechnical description) and
feast on the wealth of information gathered and presented so far.

Don't be frightened to do so...it has been at least 80 years since Doctor's conversed mostly in Latin to keep patients out of the loop. Most of these articles are easily understood by most, particularly if you keep a webbased medical dictionary on hand for those words that really stump you.

Hope this helps!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote