HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #21
Chelee

Joanne, I'm glad your going to ask for your scans. I get a PET/CT every six months...in fact I'm a bit past due right now & I noticed my onc didn't bring it up at my last two recent visits to her. She hopes I won't notice its time. lol It sounds like Dr. B will be easier to deal with since he believes in scans and markers. I know my oncologist...and many other don't want to do tumor markers either since they really aren't always reliable. But I have my onc run them anyway. She rather not do any of this but if I ask she does it with no problems. But I *have* to ask every time. When you were first DX did you have baseline scans? PET/CT of body and brain MRI? Maybe if you wait till you switch to Dr. B you can have a PET/CT...verses just the CT? (Just a thought.)

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
Joanne S

Good point Chelee,
Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

When I was initially diagnosed, I had a breast MRI, CTscan, and bone scan. I have had a couple CT scans since my initial dx.

I've never had a PET Scan. I'm not sure what the difference is between the PET Scan and the CT Scan is. Perhaps, the PET shows more detail?

From what my onc told me, some tumor marker tests can give false positive or false negative results---she does not order those---in my opinion, those tests would just give me something else to worry about needlessly.

I will discuss all of this with Dr. B in January.

In addition, since my mother died from breast cancer 11 years ago, and I have two daughters (ages 17 & 22), I plan to inquire about the BRCA tests. Unfortunately when my mother was diagnosed at Stage IV-mets to all the bones 13 years ago, I didn't even know (or have any clue) to ask so I never found out what kind of BC she had. She never had a oncologist as she refused Chemo and radiation as not an option for her. She survived 2 years on just Tamoxifen and morphine with her very strong fighting attitude---very negative and angy about BC. She fought it tooth and nail because she did not want to die.
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #23
Emelie

First check-up

I go in on Dec. 5th for my first 3 mos check-up after stopping Herceptin. My onc said she wanted to do the HER/2 serum tests at each visit. No mention of scans. I had a large tumor and 6 of 9 nodes positive. I would definetly feel better if I got a PET scan and a brain MRI. Do I just need to insist on it? I have not had any scans since my initial DX.
So glad to hear that I am not alone in wanting to scan to assess my health.
Thanks,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #24
tricia keegan

Unhappy

My Onc does'nt believe in doing tests or scans as follow up either although always maintained if I had persistant symptoms she would. I had a bone scan last Jan for severe bone/joint pain which thankfully was clear so must be down to arimidex.
I was amazed though when I saw her last week, still complaining of the same pain to have this dismissed as "arimidex" related and "menopausal symtoms" and no scan or further tests ordered! This has left me feeling shaken and have lost confidence in my follow up care.
I do think myself this pain is ongoing from arimidex but expected to be taken seriously as a cancer survivor rather than be dismissed as hysterical and menopausal. She only suggested I increase my glucosamine/chondroitin and see if that helps. I'm now left wondering what will happen in the future should I have some worrying symptoms and whether I'll be taken seriously!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #25
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink My Ct Scan Experience

In Aug '98, when I met into my liver (multiple tumors) it was discovered then that I was HER2+ 80%, having been initially dx in '95, post menopausal age 50 ILC (more aggressive than ductal) w/2 out of 21 nodes involved. Now my fav onc (of 5 -- NY and Boca) took charge. Various recommendations for chemo but he wanted Taxotere. Why? What you have is a highly aggressive form of bc and T is the most aggressive weapon we have in our arsenal. I began T in Sept '98.

Herceptin was fast-tracked out of clinical trials as women in the genl population w/4th stage bc and told they only had 3 mnths to live could not gain access to H, but through a *lottery* system. Very limited supplies existed and were in trials at Sloan K and Boca (at my fav onc's office), only 2 places in the country then. Sept 28, 1998 H became available to the genl public. I was able to add it to my protocol as of Nov '98. TIMING IS EVERYTHING. I also began my major supplement regimen at that time, under the guidance of my oncological nutritionist who I lovingly refer to as my nut onc, as a dear Sister pointed out that he was.

Fav onc had me on ev 8 wk CT scans (chest/abd/pelv) w/ and w/o contrast. At the end of May '99 I was proclaimed in *cautious remission* by 2 out of 3 radiologists, and began H only, then wkly. In '01 I switched to the triple dose ev 3 wk plan.

Fav onc insisted I get ev 8 wk CT scans, per above, for over a yr. Then I graduated to ev 3 mnths for over another yr. Then I begged for ev 4 mnths b/c the contrast makes my IBS act up for 3 days following scans and I was chained to my toilet. He acquiesced a bit reluctantly but was firm that I could not go any longer between scans. It is only about 18 mnths ago that I was told I could go ev 6 mnths.

I'm told PETs aren't necessary for me. I know my TMs did not show elevation until mnths into Taxotere, mnths after dx recurrence. I still get TMs ev 3 mnths, knowing we can't rely on them in my case, but derive pleasure and encouragement in seeing that they are low, in the normal range, yet aware it is a false sense of security I am deriving.

I hope my experience can clarify your thinking in this cloudy area. I still hold my breath w/ea CT scan and get SAME DAY reports, often hrs after returning home. Paul and I seem to need this for our sanity, and we have made it a point of having our onc request this each and every time. When his nurse calls me and sings out -- Where do horses live? S T A B L E ... We laugh. Paul tears up with relief. And I thank God, all my oncs, my nut onc (who has given me my supplement list, meditation and guided imagery skills, my surgeons, my nurses , my husband and family and my Sisters, Christine and Joe). It takes a village... That's why we are all here.

Offered with love and prayers for every one on this board to join me in the STABLE,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote