HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
Jean

Hi Suzanne,
And welcome to a wonderful family of strong fighting sisters!
My 2 cents worth:

Concentrate on truly living and enjoying those two beautiful children.
Also know that in the short time since I was dx. 4/05 there have been
many changes in treatment with her2. You must do your research, ask questions and also get second opinions. Of course there is this wonderful group to bounce off from as most here have great experience and wisdom.

Please do not feel that bc cancer means instant doom. Yes, it is terrifying to be told you have bc, waiting for your dr. visits, waiting to start treatment etc. It is overwhelming! Know three things:

* Be informed
* Then take control
* Keep a positive attitude

We are all here for you...and YOU WILL GET through this!

Many Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #22
Debra

From Grand Forks

Suzanne -

I posted two private messages to you today as I am from Grand Forks, ND so any info you might need from this area, let me know!

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #23
Cristina19

Suzanne,

Are you there?

I'm relatively new to this, too. My thread is below somewhere: "Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin." The women here were very helpful and informative. I've just had my 4th treatment out of 6 and couldn't do this without the help of all the "sisters."

One comment: you might want to ask your doctor about the above "coctail" of drugs (TCH) vs. AC->TH. The one thing I was concerned about was the heart-damage risk that comes with Adriamyacin (sp?) and following it with Herceptin which also has a heart-damage risk. A UCLA oncologist that I spoke to for a second opinion and who is associated with Dr. Slamon said that if I were his patient, he would have me do TCH.... which is what I finally went with.

I go in for my MUGA scan to check my heart function next week. Hopefully, all is well.

Best,
Cristina
Cristina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
hi christina...sooo glad you posted your regime. After some thought with a little research i agree with your suggestion. i wrote that combo down to take with me to my onc app next week. How are you finding it Christina?
So glad to hear you are moving through. I would like to hear more from you. i wonder if i can make this suggestion ot my onc?
thanks again!!
best thoughts going out to you
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #25
Cristina19

Hi Suzanne,

Good to hear from you, too! This sucks being here but the support is priceless!

I'm done with 4 out of 6 of TCH and it's going "alright." I put that in quotes because I don't want anyone to think that when I say "alright," or "okay," or "fine" that I'm just taking this breezy walk in the park. The effects of chemo are sobering. My pattern is this:

Day 1: Chemo--uneventful (but long day) as long as I have all of my premeds (anti-nausea and steroid at home and then Benadryl and Zofran in the infusion; more Benadryl before Taxotere)

Day 2: still feeling pretty okay; Neulasta shot (half dose)

Day 3: the chemo and Neulasta starts to hit but just a little worse than "okay"

Day 4, 5, 6: crappy, sicky, a little achy (but not terrible)

Day 7-10: coming out of it but thank God for Nexium and Zantac. The most persistent thing is the constant indigestion; I constantly feel sick, although less sick than the first days and at least I can "function."

Day 11-21: feel better and better, practically "normal"

My blood panel (whites, reds, platelets, etc) are all staying strong. I try to do light exercise (walking) when I can; yoga during my "good spell." Stay away from too much sugar, too much salt, too much oil; no caffeine, no alcohol. Lots of water. My heart beat is more pronounced during the first 7-10 days so I'm a little worried but it may be working hard to get all this crap out of my system.

My fingernail beds are sensitive. I'm rubbing Vitamin E and tea-tree oil on them. Tea-tree oil stinks to high heaven!

No hair (just fuzz), of course; eyebrows and lashes and other places have thinned but not gone entirely. I had one period after the first infusion and then nothing.

I take Glutamine (5 mg/am; 5 mg/pm) for the four days after chemo and neuropathy doesn't seem to be a problem (at least it doesn't persist). Taking CoQ10 for heart health, Omega 3, Calcium, and a multi.

There are some little weird things that appear and subside during the three-week cycle. I use a "natural-ish" toothpaste with baking soda and flouride, but no other harsh stuff. Keep a clean mouth and I don't have any mouth sore problems.

Email at any time!

Hang in there!
Cristina
=)
Cristina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #26
mimiflower07

Location: We presently live 1 1/2 hrs fr a city. in manitoba canada
hi christina

thanks for your info ....there was comfort in hearing how you are managing. Sounds like you are near completion then its herceptin time.
you are doing great. i will let you know what tx plan is decided. i may have more questions ...thanks so much
suzanne
mimiflower07 is offline   Reply With Quote