HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
kareneg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island
Posts: 371
Red face I need some info please

Hello my sisters,

I went to treatment yesterday and had my Taxotere Herceptin and Carboplatin. Well I was almost done with the carbo and I broke out with a rash and hives and I was having a hard time breathing. The nurses gave me meds to counter act the reaction and it worked well my rash was cleared up with in an hour and I had to use an inhaler for the breathing. But today I have fever 102.3 it was when I went in for my neulasta shot. They almost put me in the hospital again. But I am home now. I feel horrible like I did all summer with the tumor fevers I had, My question is could this fever be from the reaction I had yesterday I felt fine Sunday I am just so scared it's the cancer. I have a cat scan on October 15th and see the doctor on the 22nd where he is going to restage me. I just feel so sick again can anyone tell me if the fever is related to the allergic reaction from the Carbo? Thank you all.
__________________
Love and Hope
Karen

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Becky
Senior Member
 
Becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Stockton, NJ
Posts: 4,179
You got a double whammy this time. An allergic reaction can certainly cause a fever AND a side effect of carboplatin is fever. You might have had such a low grade fever in other infusions that you didn't even notice it (let's say 99-100) but this time, you had such a reaction that the fever was higher and noticeable. Of course, you have to be diligent to make sure this fever is from that and not that you picked up a bug but certainly, it can occur from an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is the same as your body fighting off a bug (but usually more intense).

If they stay with the carbo, are they going to give you benadryl beforehand next time?
__________________
Kind regards

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX
Senior Member
 
Mary Anne in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,357
Hi Karen,
When I took Taxol, Carboplatin, and Herceptin they had to give it REALLY slowly and lots of meds, but it made all the difference. Otherwise, my breathing went crazy, I turned beat red and thought I was dying! Once they slowed everything down and added the benydrl, etc. I did great. Just took forever, but I didn't care. It made it doable. ma
__________________
MA in TX.
Grateful for each and every day....

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
lilyecuadorian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CHARLOTTE NC USA Home town (ECUADOR) South America
Posts: 542
I sending you my prayers and my better wishes to control this desiase .....I used for carb and taxotere reaccion ..Benadryl ...my pression went to high ....but after benadryls ..it was ok
__________________
Lily
Diag April/06 5 months after give birth my son Max
stage IV mets on liver (5 tumors) 38 year old,
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
kareneg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island
Posts: 371
Hi Becky and Mary Anne,

I do get Benadrly 50 millagrams and I start taking the Decadron 2 days prior to treatment. They did give me the Carbo at a slow rate at first so I hope that they can go back to that. I turned beet red to Ma and I really thought I was going to die what a horrible feeling. I just had such a bad summer with fevers from the tumors I just hope its not the tumors giving me the fever. There are two new liver mets and the one on the tail of my Pancreas doubled in size with in one month this past July so I was in a bad way with fevers and pain. My tumor marker CA 27-29 has been going down so I hope thats a good thing its at 70 right now. I am just so afraid that the doctor will take me off the carbo and I feel like my options are running out. I have been on constent chemo since Jan 2005 no breaks I just wonder how much treatment one can have before it takes its toll. I'll never give up the fight though. I love you all!
__________________
Love and Hope
Karen

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
chrisy
Senior Member
 
chrisy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 3,207
Karen,
Becky brought up a couple of perfectly valid "alternate explanations" to it being tumor fever. I think dropping markers is a good sign as far as that goes.

If you are having difficulty with the carbo, or maybe it's the combination of both, another thing that can work is to run the IV with a lot of saline. Yes, this also makes it take longer with the side "benefit" of you have to make several trips down the hall dragging your IV if you know what I mean.

Hope things settle down quickly and that this combo works well - and that it ends up causing the tumors more discomfort than it has so far causing you.

Much love
Chris
__________________
Chris in Scotts Valley
June 2002 extensive hi grade DCIS (pre-cancer-stage 0, clean sentinal node) Mastectomy/implant - no chemo, rads. "cured?"
9/2004 Diag: Stage IV extensive liver mets (!) ER/PR- Her2+++
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
Believe51
Senior Member
 
Believe51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Posts: 3,000
It is only me

Just pulling this up for Karen in the hopes that someone might have missed it.>>Believe51
__________________
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
Julie2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 556
I get fever oneday after the infusion of Navelbine and Herceptin every week. They don't have a clue for that and I think it is just a reaction to the drug.
__________________
Diagnosed in Sept 2004 while pregnant with the second child. Stage 3b, tumor 4.5cm, 4 auxillary and supraclav node positive. Her2+++ FISH 9.4 and er-,pr-.
Had dose dense neoadjuvant AC,Taxol then mastectomy,radiation+xeloda+Herceptin.
Julie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
MCS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 430
I used to get a fever with the neulasta.

mcs maria
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter