HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
mts

Hi Bowlingpink-

It seems to me that with your high ER level, you would remain on Tamoxifen... just because you remove the hormone factory (ovaries) may not eliminate the estrogen issue... the body stores estrogen in the adipose tissue - so there is no guarantee that estrogen is totally eliminated with ovary removal.

If your husband wants no more children, then why doesn't he step up and consider a vasectomy and let you treat your cancer without having your ovaries removed.
My husband had a vasectomy and in no way has that procedure affected his "performance".

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Bowlingpink

I did go and get the Genetic testing done, I was negative. Is their anyone out there that has been on Tamoxifen for 5 years, and has their Her2 Cancer came back.
Bowlingpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
mindersue

Hello,
I'm 39 and have been on Aromasin and Lupron shots (to shut down ovaries) for over a year. I made that choice over Tamoxifen because I thought it would be more aggressive, giving me more protection.

The only bothersome side effect I have is no libido. Most of the time that's okay! But it's a drag when I think about my husband. I enjoy sex, I just don't feel like starting it. So, it's not that bad.

Long term effects like bone loss concern me. That's why I'm doing the Lupron and not ovary removal at this time. I still have 4 more years on Aromasin, so I'm thinking maybe new research will help me choose whether or not to have my ovaries removed later down the road.

Thanks for posting,
Mindy
ER +, PR +, Her2 +
TCH, radiation, Lupron/Aromasin
mindersue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
KRISS

I just had my uterus and ovaries removed on monday. I had three contributing factors that made my desicion for me. If I would have only had one or even possibly 2 I would have kept my ovaries. I am 43 and am scared of a life without estrogen but am also scared of it bringing my cancer back. My onc and gyn said it would be easier to combat the other problems than cancer and I agreed. This choice is truely an individual one. We all need to decide what is more important, what can we personally cope with better. It's hard but I'm sure you will come to a conclusion that is right for you. Good luck.
PS go laproscopically (sp) if you can, I had to do abdominally and it's a $^#%&&% lol
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote