HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Ceesun

Question First day of school...scared again!! S.O.S.!

Dear Friends, Tomorrow I go back to work after a very pleasant summer vacation...last year when I went back at this time I was first diagnosed with lung mets. I wondered if I would make it through the year with treatment again, fear of bad test results, and all the rest of the bc agony. But, with God's help, and all of the other miracle workers I have met on this journey, I completed the school year pretty well. But, here I go once again and I am bothered by the fear of more mets, and all the other worries about getting through the year once again...Life is so uncertain for us and I know this ties in with that fear of making future plans. It's too late to turn back, but how will I cope with these lingering feelings of fear and doubt. thanks in advance for any replies you may give. Your sister, Ceesun aka Cathy P.S. This summer was a very pleasant one for me...my clinical trial nurses said they have never seen me so relaxed-I am thankful for that.
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Becky

Dear Cathy

Although my surgery date is in a few days, I had my lump confirmed by my PCP 3 years ago today. So even though on Sept 7 I will have my true 3 year cancerversary which should be a happy thing, it just brings back scary and sad feelings. So, I was going to tell you that it is a new year and Happy New Year. You are doing well and are better than last year at the same time. One thing I do try to do for myself on my cancerversary is to buy myself a really nice gift. Year 1 was a velvet blazer (in a mushroom (brown) color). It is a Jones New York blazer and it will last forever. Last year I bought black (tall) boots. This year I think I will buy myself a leather jacket (I never had one). Maybe you should do the same because then, you will look forward to this time. I always buy something that costs a couple of hundred dollars that I could never do all the time but I can justify this time of year for me. I figure at 25 years, I should be worth a Porsche Boxer or Ferrari!!

I will be thinking of you. Have a Happy New Year and I will too.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Barbara H.

Wink The start of a new school year

Hi Cathy,
The beginning of school is always tough. It is a new year and there is the unknown of new students. I don't start until next week, but I am currently taking a mentoring class because I will be mentoring two new teachers. In the next few weeks I will begin a new treatment for my bone mets. I don't know what it will be because I am waiting for a trial to open up. It is difficult to live with a lot of unknowns. Nevertheless, teaching gives me a purpose and a lot of joy and satisfaction. To me it is still worth the effort and time even as I struggle with my treatments. When I am at school I have less time to think negative thoughts. I just try to take one day (year) at a time.
Best wishes for a good beginning.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
chrisy

I'd never thought about it that way, but having a break as you do all summer long would make re-entry be a big deal, and cause a moment (or more!) of reflection.
None of us know what the future holds, even those who think they do! You have come a long way since a year ago - and look, YOU'RE STILL HERE! AND STILL LIVING YOUR LIFE!
I've always worked all year, but had a strange feeling today after meeting with my boss about what he wants to have me be doing in the coming year. When I came out of the meeting, I was excited about starting on these new projects, but also thought "OH, I guess I'll have to stay alive for awhile now, for sure!"

I guess you'll have to stay alive awhile, too!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Mary Jo

I can sure relate. I work in the school system as well. In 2005, right after school got out, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Needless to say, that summer sucked. Mastectomy July 28, 2005 and chemo began Aug. 24, 2005. I went back to school 1 week after chemo began training a sub to help me through the year. (I feed approx. 300 children per day breakfast and lunch and I work all alone) Thankfully, I was able to work mostly all of the school year just missing a few days after chemo treatments. Summer 2006 was much better but still many fears and still on herceptin. This summer 2007 was the best of all and I am NOT ready to go back TOMORROW. Tomorrow is just meetings day but still.........I DON'T WANT TO GO! I am thankful for my summers off and the time I get to just enjoy the summer weather, my wonderful grandkids and all the mentoring I do.

Like Becky, I mark my anniversary's as well. My first one we went out to dinner. This past one (number 2) I got a pink ribbon tattoo on my left foot, on the top, off to the side.

So, I know how you feel. The fears of the unknown while we experience our aches and pains from head to toe can be overwhelming no doubt BUT I think having our work to go back too helps. If it were summer everyday it would be fine to be home doing our thing but being cooped in all winter would do be no good at all. Work is a blessing for sure.

Happy school year. MAKE it great!

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
dorinda

Barbara, Keep Us Intouch Of Your New Trail Meds. For Bone Mets. Currently I Am On Taxol And Herceptine. Take Care Dorinda
nov 2006 dx. with bc. 3 tumors removed from left breast lumpectomy done. her2 postive er+pr-. scans showed extensive spine mets(to many to count) ,3 tumors on left rib,one tumor on skull and 3 tumors on liver. stage IV from get go. dec.2006 started chemo taxol and herceptine wkly. zometa monthly. rescanned in march 2007, liver tumors shrinking a little. bones to early to tell but pain is gone in my back. rescanned in june 2007. liver mets gone, bone scan looking better but still alot in my spine. still on taxol and herceptine. zometa monthly. rescanned in august due to ca 2729 going up. liver still good , mets in ribs and skull gone but multiple areas still on lumbar and sacrum. mri of brain august 07 negative for mets.I AM BELIEVLING GOD FOR MY HEALING.
dorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Ceesun

thank you so much for the pep talk and little hints--onward I go! Wish I could meet some of you gals! Cathy
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
juanita

I was diagnosed right after we went back to school 3 years ago, and it still makes me nervous when it's time to start again. And the summer before I was diagnosed we had cleaned out the store room, cooler and freezer. Now I have a very hard time helping with that. Hopefully for both of us it will get better with time.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Hey Ceesun

Checking up to see how school is going, I know you had your reservations about this new school year. Wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and holding you dear to my heart. Hopefully those kids are keeping you too busy to even remember this post!!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote