HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
julierene

Being HER2 positive, I would want the 2nd treatment. I have had both treatments, and the TCH was much more tolerable, did a super job, and I didn't loose my hair on that one. But that is just me.
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Erin

I am doing option #2 now. If you google UCLA, Jonsson Cancer Center (sp), and Herceptin you will probably find the study that was recently completed at UCLA which rates the TCH just as effective as the AC, with less chance for cardio toxicity. You may be able to find the old thread on this site as well. Best of luck with all your decisions, there are many, but the women on this site will be a great source of info for you.
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
MJo

Hang in there.

Oncotype -- If your insurance doesn't cover the Oncotype, you will have a bill for about $3400. Her2 is one of the things the Oncotype takes into account, according to my Onc, which is why Her2+ Oncotype scores are usually high. The last time I looked at the Johns Hopkins Ask an Expert site (if you haven't checked it out, take a look) they werent recommending the Oncotype for Her2 positives because they felt scores for majority of Her2s would show high risk anyway.

I took the AC in 2006 and had a bad time. Possibly, AC contributed to my having to stop Herceptin after 9 months due to cardio problems. If the Johnson Study says TCH is just as effective, I know which one I would choose.

I finished my treatment, except for arimidex, so I haven't been paying attention to discussion about new tests. But I know some women on this site are very knowlegable. They likely will respond to your questions

I don't know if your kidney is at risk during chemo due to surgery. I think your doctors need to reassure you about this. You could also try talking to the nurses. Should you start chemo before kidney surgery? I think doctors don't like to do surgery on chemo patients due to blood thinning issues. But again, your doctors need to explain this.

Are you waiting too long? I think two months is pushing the limits, but a friend of mine waited 7 weeks to start chemo after lumpectomy because she didn't want chemo during Christmas and New Year holidays. Oncologist didn't seem worried. Her BC profile was similar to yours. Plus you have to think about your whole body due to bronchitis and kidney issues.

All the very best to you. The next few months won't be a picnic, but I look forward to hearing good things from you in the future.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote