HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Vicki

Melinda's Update/Two messages

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=606 border=0><TBODY><TR class=cellcolor><TD colSpan=2>Here are two notes from Melinda's "Care Pages" from UCLA's website. Some of what she's doing and has been dealing with may be helpful to some of you on the board. Be well, Vicki

March 02, 2007 at 08:23 PM PST
</TD></TR><TR class=cellcolor><TD colSpan=2>Time for a break...........
I wanted to update you with results from the most recent tests.
We ruled out gallbladder involvement with the cancer. We are attributing the pain and discomfort to the Costochondritis (inflammation from the chemo embolization).
We're finally getting the blood pressure under control. After my echocardiogram yesterday, we confirmed my ejection fraction (heart function) went from 48-50% down to 38-39%. We knew the Adriamycin (chemo) might cause damage to my heart, but we had to take that chance. I now have Cardiomyopathy which is a disease of the heart muscle (Yes, always a trade off!). I've been put on several heart medications to hopefully, prevent further damage and help me deal with the symptoms of heart disease.
I have started up my exercise again, walking. Tawny (our puppy) walks with me everyday. I know that the heart is a muscle therefore; my goal is to strengthen it and improve my current symptoms.
I start the new Tykerb medication (newly FDA approved, replaces the Herceptin) the week of March 19th. Can hardly wait for what those side-effects will bring.........
I continue to plan trips, events and day to day things (besides just doctors appointments). I figure the worst that can happen is that I'll have to cancel. After all, we all have to look forward to our future, no matter what stands in our way. If I don't "plan" while living, what's the point!
As always, thank you for your continued love and support! It means a great deal to me.
Blessings to you all,
Love,
Melinda

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>4 February 21, 2007 at 10:53 PM PST</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Reason to celebrate..................

4 years ago today, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It's not a date that I have to write on my calendar rather, it is a date that is frozen in my mind. I choose to celebrate today because I continue to out live the odds of living with stage IV breast cancer.

I am still recovering from the chemo embolization with new side effects, daily. I have discovered that my body is a "body of dominos". One symptom triggers the next symptom. I have been dealing with Costochondritis (chest wall pain) and headaches from high blood pressure. We ruled out the obvious things that might be causing the high blood pressure with a brain MRI and tests for the kidneys. Most likely the high blood pressure is coming from the Avastin infusion that I receive every two weeks that fights the cancer. Since I need the Avastin, we are figuring out a way to control the BP. I'm monitoring my BP at home twice a day and transmitting the readings to my doctor. Yes, more than I ever wanted to know.
In a couple of weeks the new drug, Tykerb will be available and I will substitute it for the Herceptin that I became resistant to.

Thursday I will have an ultrasound of the gallbladder to rule out any involvement with the cancer (the tumor on the liver was located next to the wall of the gallbladder hence, possible involvement). Either way, I know I can live without a gallbladder. Since we know that breast cancer is usually metastasized to the liver (which we are managing) or the lungs (no evidence) or the brain (no evidence) or the bones (will do a bone scan in March), I'm feeling very confident that we are currently managing this cancer.

In the meantime, I want you all to know that all of your prayers, thoughts, messages, cards, etc. etc. continue to empower me to go forward. Yes, there are times of fear, hopelessness and certainly weariness from being so overwhelmed with trying to stay alive. BUT, it just makes life that more enjoyable when I "GET" to wake-up the next day and my feet hit the ground. Thank God! Another day of life on this earth with my family and friends.

Good Blessings to you all.
Love,
Melinda

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Wink Hi melinda-

Melinda you have such a great positive attitude which comes accross in your posts, I wish you luck and health with the Tykerb and hope the side effects if any are managable for you.
Thanks for the update and keep us posted..
oh and good luck!
Tricia
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
rinaina

So many of us can relate to your updates even if we aren't going through the same identical things. I wish you all the best with starting tykerb. You are one tough cookie and I admire your positiveness and strength. Keep fighting.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Jean

Dear Melinda,

My prayers are with you and hopefully the new drug Tykerb will
be your lottery ticket.

God Bless,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH