HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
skeetur

Back from bilat w/ expanders

I'm back and doing well got home yesterday afternoon. Surgery was Friday afternoon. Everything went pretty much routine from the doc's point of view. Stayed overnight at hospital. Did fine with pain management on the PCA pump and now oral meds are fine. I have an On-Q pump that is feeding local pain meds into each breast. I'll have that for 5 days total. When it runs out of meds, we are to pull those catheters out. Oh boy. Have two drains, one in each breast. Keeping track of the output. Have to call plastic surgeon every day with the numbers. No showers til drains are out so guess I'll be sponge bathing. Haven't taken dressing off. Will do that in a while. Pain is definitely from the expanders under the muscle. Deep breaths are sore.

Path report should be back in 4-5 days per surgeon. So maybe Wednesday?

Take care, folks!

Skeetur
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist

Last edited by skeetur; 03-04-2007 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: additional info
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
janet/FL

So glad you are doing fine and posted your progress. I have never heard of pain meds infused to the site! Maybe it is common, just haven't heard of it. From what you describe, it seems like we will all need a lisence to practice nursing in the years to come as more and more responsibilty for care is placed on the patient.
Hugs--and best wishes.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
skeetur

I think the On-Q pump is used a decent amount for plastic surgery. My friend had a lower body lift (following large weight loss) and had the On-Q pump pushing pain meds right into the wound which was completely around her lower body. Anyway, the thing is a great tool in pain management.

So I have no clue how painful this would be without it in there. I'm sore but far from suffering.

Take care!
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
jessica

Rest Well...

Hey Skeetur~
Glad you're home & resting well & you're pain is under control.Thank God for that-having constant pain can be really exhausting. I think you'll be just fine by the time they pull the On-Qpump. Everyday, you'll feel a little better & better. It's amazing how resilient the body is!
My surgery was on Friday too - outpatient to swap out the expander on the L & augment the R, so I was home that afternoon.I had a brutal headache all day yesterday & some nausea~probably from the anesthesia, pain meds & no food/no appetite for 2 days, but today's much better!I've switched to Tylenol b/c that nauseau was NO FUN!
It's interesting the different surgeons follow different protocols - I was allowed to shower w/the drain-but just a perfunctory wash-no standing & soaking. But I will say, I was a little nervous, standing in a slippery tub w/the Jtube hanging from the curtain rod.Sponge baths are just as well - baby wipes aren't just for babies!
FYI-30cc's is the magic number. Once your drainage output is down to 30cc over a 24hr period, they'll dc the drain.
So take good care, rest well, know that you're body is healing every day, a little more.
Keep us posted on the path report.

Take good care & keep the faith~

Jessica
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
tousled1

Glad to hear your surgery went well. WhenI had my bilatreal mastectomy surgery I also had the QPump in each breast. Before you know it you'll have the expanders filled and swapped out. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
MJo

I sure don't want to try mastectomy with reconstruction, but one advantage after it's all over is a matching set of breasts. My left breast sags two inches lower than my lumpectomy breast. I told the surgeon he should offer lumpectomy patients a two for one deal. A breast lift would cost a couple thousand. I'm taking a cruise instead. Several women in my support group showed off their new breasts after reconstruction. It was hilarious. We huddled in a corner so nobody could see us through the windows and someone was on the lookout for the male group members. I hear a lot of jokes about 19 year old breasts on a 50 year old body. Sounds great to me.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
caya

Smile

Hi skeetur,

glad you are home - take it easy. When I had my MRM in dec., I also had two drains, both from the right breast. I also could not take a shower until they were both out - for me it was 2 weeks of sponge bathing. But I managed (don't we always?) Good luck for your pathology report - keep us posted.

all the best
caya in canada
caya is offline   Reply With Quote