HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Lolly

Angela, I know you're in shock right now, and as you say, tired from the treatment. Some of the others here have been through WBR and also GammaKnife for brain mets, so I hope you don't mind but I posted an S.O.S. for you as I think maybe some didn't see your post yet. Hang in there, let yourself be taken care of right now. I know you feel like a burden, we've all had that feeling. But I know from what my husband tells me that the one way he feels he can help my through this is to be able to do things for me; shopping, laundry, etc. Otherwise, it would be much harder for him to cope. So let your mom and husband help you because it actually helps them.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
MichelleMoon

A few steps ahead of you...

Hi Angela,

I finished WBR in late January to treat multiple very small brain mets. This was after being treated for lung mets last year. So...I'll share my experience with WBR.

I had 15 treatments and kept working. Most of my symptoms didn't kick in until I was about finished with the treatments. My hair is falling out like mad now and I'm pretty fatigued. I've used lotion on my scalp and haven't had any pain or discomfort there (with the exception of the hair falling out...I find that's uncomfortable alone). The decadron was tough for me to handle...insomnia, weight gain, GI issues. I'm trying hard to wean myself from the decadron, but the brain swelling causes headaches. I've had to take it slower than I would like.

You'll get through this, Angela! Feel free to e-mail me with other questions.

Stage 2 '99, triple negative, 5 nodes involved
mastectomy, AC + T, rads, '01 TRAM flap
Stage 4 '06, lung mets, ER/PR-, HER2++
07/06 - 11/06: Taxol + Herceptin to 'strong partial remission'
11/06: Herceptin every 3 weeks indefinitely
01/07: brain mets, finished WBR, NED in head!
04/07: Xeloda and Tykerb for lung met progression
MichelleMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
heblaj01

Angela,
The fact that you are taking Herceptin at the same time as you get radiation treatment is very likely to make their combined effectiveness greater based on the finding reported in other posts that radiation allows some Herceptin to overcome the blood brain barrier & penetrate the brain.
And your initial report of rapid shrinkage appears to confirm this possibility.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Angela,

Christine was DX'ed with brain mets in June 1999 and we will celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary in June 2008. (She promised to be there.)

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Jean

Dear Angela,
The positive side is your treatment of herceptin is already working for you....please know I will keep you in my prayers for successful treatment!
I was very touched to read that you feel your a burden....your a kind person
worried about your family. I am more than certain that your mother and husband love you so very much and want to do all they can.
Remember that you would do the same for them. Take the LOVE....

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
TriciaK

Dear Angela, I know you will receive some good posts from people who can answer your particular questions---I haven't answers, but wanted to let you know you are not alone. Everyone on this website will be praying for you! Please let us know how things work out for you, and let your mom and husband do things for you---it helps them to feel they are fighting with you. God bless with to stay strong and keep on fighting! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Tonya

Angela,
I am new to this site but I wanted to say stay strong and know that we love you and we will pray you through this rough time. I also live in N.C. Email me if you feel up to it. Who knows we might live in the same area. Take care Tonya
Tonya is offline   Reply With Quote