HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
rinaina

Unhappy color didn't take but....

Went for my first haircut and color today since ending chemo in late July. My colorist is great with color but even she couldn't get the color to come up the way it normally would. It did cover the grey but the color is really nondescript if you ask me. She showed me the color hair swatch before but it isn't anything like that...not her fault. She didn't even charge me for the color, just the cut. It is somewhere between a dirty dark blonde and a mousy light brown but really blah. I guess it is better then all the grey and almost black hair it was and it is a start. Anyone know if it is just due to the chemicals still in my body? Does herceptin have anything to do with hair color not taking? I was so looking forward to this and I am still glad I did it but I may still resort to wigs and hat for those occasions where you want to look like you use to. Vain? You bet I am, I like to look my best. Maybe sounds shallow and in light of everything I guess I shouldn't make that so important but to me it is. I miss my hair. I really don't have a reason to complain, especially to those of you who have lost their hair more than once so sorry to b---- and moan. I am just curious if others have had this problem and if others know why the color won't come up right. It isn't the colorist, she is fabulous. Thanks for listening or reading I should say!!!
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Hi Rinaina,

I had my first haircut and highlight 7 months after my chemo ended and the highlight took very nicely. Also, I was still on herceptin at that time. I did not have a full head color though but is thinking the "highlight dye" is the same thing just applied differently.

Oh well.....as you said, in the whole scheme of things......it is small stuff BUT I know how you must have been looking forward. Maybe next time.

Until then...........enjoy your hair. At least is yours.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Sherryg683

As a former hairstylist, it could be because of the chemicals that are still in your hair from the chemo. Our hair is like a sponge and absorbs what's in our body. I use to alway clarify hair before coloring or perming. Although, coloring hair is never an exact science anyway. My first color after chemo was not right. I've gotten better coverage since then though...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Grace

Hi--I colored my half inch of hair about two weeks ago (I also have been on herceptin since late August; stopped chemo in late October). My color is a reddish blonde. The color is different from before (same manufacturer, same color) but I thought a bit brighter than before. Are you sure they mixed the same colors together? Also, in the past you were probably just doing the roots but may not have noticed the roots were somewhat darker than the rest of your hair. Perhaps the next time.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
rinaina

Thanks for your replies. We didn't highlight my hair because it isn't long enough to start adding highlights. Not sure if it is the same dye in base color and highlights Marejo. Sherry, I am sure you know about this being a former hairdresser. I was thinking that it might be due to residual chemicals from chemo and was hoping herceptin had nothing to do with it. Grace, I am sure they mixed the same colors together as before because my colorist rights down the formula, however, my hair was always colored before so we were dealing with that verses my new hair which was almost black with a lot of grey. I am sure it will get better. Sherry, a question for you since you were a former hairstylist. We went with a beigey blonde this time....maybe we should try a warm brown for now since blonde didn't take? What do you think? Could I possibly get better results with a darker color? Thanks for your input.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
carlsoj

Pigment ?

I've been happy with my new color (my beautician thought I had gone to someone else for a gorgeous frost).....but others at my regular treatment time has also had trouble with color.....One hairdresser explained that it has to do with the pigment (what gives your hair color). It has been damaged by the chemo and takes time to grow back in. If you don't have good pigment, there is nothing for the new color to grab hold of or only sort of "hits and misses"....so not only do we have to wait for hair....we have to wait longer for hair that will accept color.

Hope this sounds reasonable.

carlsoj
carlsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Bev

I did my own hair 4 months after chemo, and it didn't take. I went to a shop 2 months later and had 3 colors put in and I thought it look nice. The base color was a warm dark blonde. They processed it again with gold and beige. My bar isn't set too high though. I just wanted anything but gray and black.

Maybe next time it'll take. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
rinaina

I hear you Bev. At least the grey and black is covered up sort of. Carlsoj, your explanation makes perfect sense as to why my hair didn't take up the color well. I am just impatient and want a nice color....like now, but it isn't going to happen so I am over it.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 02-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
Mary Anne in TX

Gotta look cute!

I've wondered about coloring my hair too. A friend suggested that I wait until it stops changing colors. It seems to change colors every few months! Really strange, but a bit fun too. It's getting darker and darker, but strange too! Kinda interesting for now! I think I'll give it time to get healthier and then decide what color to be this year!
Little things have become big things since BC. Not bad. I find myself much happier than the racing around days!
Love and happy hair to all,

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Lolly

My hair went through several "transformations" after chemo before finally settling down to a decidely grayish brown. It was about a year after finishing chemo/rads before I had my first highlights put in, had never had color before but it was a very nice change and took fine. However, since then I've been having it highlighted regularly while on various chemo's and it's been ok, if somewhat more brittle. Perhaps because these chemos have only thinned my hair rather than it falling out altogether.
I have a Weave done, so there's still my natural colors mixed in with the highlights.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote