HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Changes Are Coming !!!! Need Input

We are now approaching 1,000 visitors a day and already have exceeded 3 1/2 million pageviews. We also have had a 40% increase of registered members in the last six months.

We are presently in the process of relocating from a shared server to an exclusive dedicated server. The relocation will be transparent and we expect our
website to be down for less than an hour. We will try to give as much notice as possible.

We will also do a major redesign of our website in order to make navigation much easier. I need input on what features that you wish to be included in our new website. The sky is the limit !!!

I will be including a RSS newsfeed where late breaking news will be automaticly posted on our website and am considering to include an "instant message" system on our message boards.

We are also in the process of retaining a medical resident student to interpret some of the many abstracts posted on our site into language that the average patient will understand. They will also explain what impact that the abstract will have on the patient and most important a timeline on when the research will be developed.

Remember this is YOUR website.

Warmest Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
rinaina

Thumbs up

Wow! This is amazing news and so progressive. I think the IM feature would be great. I also love the idea of a medically qualified person available to translate the heavy medical jargon articles into layman's terms. I have a medical background but a lot of what is in the articles even goes above my understanding. I will put the thinking cap on to see if I can come up with any suggestions but I have to admit, you are so thorough in your planning and what you have done so far it will be hard to come up with something that you don't already have covered. Thank you for all your devoted time, efforts and above all, for caring enough to keep this forum so up to date with progress.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
caya

Joe,

I am one of the "neu" newcomers to your fabulous website, as I was just diagnosed at the end of October 2006. I cannot begin to tell you how valuable and comforting the website has been for me.
I also love the idea of having a medical student onboard to interpret for us - and the late breaking news feature, especially any updates on Her 2 neu positive breast cancer, would be great. I don't know how you can improve on your already terrific website.

Best regards from
Caya in Canada
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
chrisy

Whoo hoo

Hi Joe,

Wow, very exciting! I also welcome the addition of an "interpreter" - what a great thing for the board as well as a great opportunity for the resident med student to get up close and personal with the issues, research, and challenges posed to "regular" people trying to live with this!

I'll also think some more, but one thing I think would be helpful would be a FAQ page with the key stuff about Her2+++ bc, prognosis, stats, brain vigilance, Herceptin. chemo and herceptin side effects - the types of questions newcomers as well as old timers have again and again

Hope things are going well - and to paraphrase Billy Joel (and date myself!) don't go changin....we love you just the way you are!
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Soccermom

Dear Joe,
Incredible news! Thanks for taking such good care of us!

Warm regards,marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
tousled1

Joe,

This is wonderful news! I'm amazed at the dedication and Christine put into this website. I know it's a lot of work and I just want to say thank you. I think having a medical student to translate into lay terms some of the articles is a great idea. You do such a wonderful job maintaining this site.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
Connie Jean

Joe, I am new to joining a discussion, just been lurking here for awhile. I have found this website so valuable to understanding my diagnosis and also for feeling like I am not alone. Thank you so much and also to those who have shared so much of there lives with me. I have learned so much and love the idea of a medical student to interpret the tough stuff for me.
Connie Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #8
Merridith

Suggestion

Hi Joe:

Thanks so much for undertaking this major project.

My wish/suggestion is that the archived articles of interest were catalogued in some way so that we could search through them efficiently when looking for information. I am aware of the search tool that is useful.

But some people don't know what they are looking for. I am not sure how this would be done, but I do know that we have accumulated an amazing resource here. It would be great if we could maximize it.

Regards,
Merridith
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 AM   #9
KellyA

Hi Joe!

The changes sound so exciting!!!! This site is like a second home for me, and I just can't imagine what it would be like without it. Thank you.

The medical resident is a WONDERFUL idea! I have a little medical background and still have much difficulty in understanding some of the abstracts. Is instant messanging going to be like a chat room/conversation area? I do miss this from a few of the cancer sites. It's a nice way to really get to know someone. Also, I always thought that it would be nice if there was a way to "catorgarize" dx's so that people might be able to easily find others with the same dx (er/pr -/+, node+, DCIS, etc.). Speaking for some of the newly dx'd patients, it would be nice to have an area where long term survivors could share hope for the future. I know that when I was first dx'd, it was almost impossible to find "positive" stories and I was convinced that I would not be here today. Also, how about a little "medical dictionary" that could explain some of the lingo, define certain procedures, etc.? Maybe another section on "helpful hints" to deal with chemo side effects, advice for procedures, etc?

I'm just rambing now. I am very excited about this. I just love this site so much and everyone here. THANK YOU!!!

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
sarah

WPW! is all I can say. All are GREAT ideas! As far as I'm concerned, you and Christine know best and I support you both with all my heart and thank you with it too.
Hope Christine is doing well.
Our thoughts are with you.
all the best
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
KRISS

Very exciting Joe. I love the idea of a medical intern. One of the things I love about this site is the continuous thread. My computer is so slow that I hate sites that I have to open each reply. It takes forever to read one thread. Thanks for all your hard work.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
Sandy H

This is wonderful. With today's technology changing so fast I sure am this site will be kept updated. I would like to see spell check, perhaps, its here and I have not found it. I don't have any ideas at this time just want you to know I think this site is already great, and will look forward the new improvements. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
Joy

Joe and Christine

firstly I hope you two feel as good about this site as all of us do!!! Secondly, I love your ideas for the additions. Thirdly, I find this site the easiest to navigate as compared to several others. I feel that navigation-wise very little should change, but there have been some nice suggestions made by others. In sum, YOU ROCK!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Adriana Mangus

Thumbs up Web changes

Joe: Thanks for your hard work . You are awesome!!! I think we need to have a day for you, it will be Joe's Day. What do you think about that ladies!!!

I am grateful to have found this site, the only thing that's been missing is the chat room. Some other cancer organization do have it and it's a great way of communicating with people all over the globe to exchange ideas regarding one's medical treatment, tips on how to deal with stress, nausea, etc...News on medical procedures, clinical trials and so forth. In the meantime let me think about what else we can benefit from? Thanks a lot!!!!!
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
Lolly

Joe, you are one busy guy! First, thanks for your dedication. The only suggestion that springs to mind is a link to a downloadable file so we could print out brochures about the site to take to our onc's offices, as my nurses were asking for some the other day, for new patients. I'm taking them some pages I printed of the Home page in the meantime, and I know there used to be a link to an Adobe file for brochures, but I couldn't find it.
That's the only thing I can think of, but will add more if I come up with anythig

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #16
Hopeful

Joe,

I suggest you may want to establish some archive forums where you can locate the oldest threads. It will keep the current pages to a manageable level, and permit faster loading. I am impressed by the addition of a med student to interpret abstracts - that is totally first class. Thanks for all you and Christine do.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
CLTann

Joe,

You have indeed done a fantastic job and little can be added for improvement. We are all indebted to your heroic effort.

As to a chat room, I would like to comment that it frequently can turn into a small clique which consists of members knowing each other well. They enjoy talking to each other but the central meaning of helping cancer problems is very much eroded. An infrequent group meeting with qualified experts is more useful to serve our membership, I believe.

Thanks for your leadership.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Joe
Webmaster

To Lolly

Ask and you will receive !!! We had a .pdf file on our computer of a pamphlet that we distribute at various breast cancer meetings.

www.her2support.org/HER2.pdf

Warmest Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #19
julierene

I would love a board that talks exclusively about treatments - by category and the comments people have on those treatments. It might be difficult to keep that up because so many are out there.... but just the HOTTEST new drugs and regular standards would be so cool.

Ex: AC+T, CT+H, Herceptin Alone....

The same idea with women who are in different stages with different types of cancer beasts...

Women DX under 30, 40, 50+?

Stage 1-4

ER+/PR-
ER+/PR+
ER-/PR-
ER-/PR+

Grade 1
Grade 2
Grade 3

I love what you have done for us. Some days it's all I can read to give me a little hope.
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #20
sassy

Search

All this sounds wonderful. Perhaps some instruction on how to use search and examples. I'm probably not the most savvy, but I have trouble knowing exactly how to "search" for what I am looking for. I'm not always certain what to enter.
________
Wiki Vaporizer

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:03 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote