HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Joy

since we post about everything...

I just wanted to share something going on here in my family. My WONDERFUL, AMAZING and FABULOUS sister Jennifer, who often lurks, but NEVER REGISTERS-hi Jen, has been fostering a beautiful yellow lab from our humane society.

Jen and her equally great husband have devoted themselves to many dogs (they have 4 adoptees and acreage ). Well they agreed to foster Jada an amazingly loving and wonderful dog. Some jack*&% surrendered her to the HS cause she was pregnant. The HS didn't want her to finish her pregnancy, give birth and nurse puppies there as it is too stressful. So Jen has had Jada for about 2 weeks. She gave birth to the first puppy on the 22nd and the other 7 on the 23rd (an all nighter). 5 boys and 3 girls and all yellow except one girl is black. She looks like she wandered in from another litter-it cracks us up. Anyway Jada is a very devoted and instinctive mama.

Last night sometime, one of the girls died. We think she crawled or somehow got behind mama and smothered. All of the dogs are in a pool with blankies, rice bags, heating pads in the laundry room -which is the size of oneof my house's bedrooms by the way.

It feels really sad. Jen found her about 2:00am when she came in to check on them and she tried to revive it cause it was still warm and it was too late. She is taking it hard, as in she did something wrong.

Jen and her husband own a successful business and have to be there a lot, but my girls and I have been puppy sitting as much as we can. It is quite a treat for all of us. So needless to say losing one is really hard. I have to tell my girls afterschool today.

I know life is beautiful and we are all fighting for it, but it is hard too and I KNOW you ALL know that. Just needed to share.

My sister lives in a canyon in the foothills outside of Ft. Collins, CO and with all the snow and the Colorado crystal blue sky it is particularly gorgeous here. Somehow that is comforting. I'll stop before I burst into John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High".

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
MJo

I am sorry about the puppy. Sadly, I know of other big litters where a puppy died. The puppy may not have been healthy enough to survive, i.e. wiggle it's way out from behind its mom. Your girls must be thrilled taking care of puppies. I don't think they will take it as hard as you and your sister are.

I love dogs and dog people. Haven't had a dog for three years. Didn't want to get one during treatment. I am pet deprived. Am feeding a cricket in the playroom; that's how pet deprived I am. Good thing I live 2000 miles from Fort Collins!

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
VirginiaGirl

Smile

We have raised several litters of puppies, and there is nothing like it! They are tons of work, but bring tons of joy, too. It's almost impossible to feel bad with 1/2 dozen puppies crawling over you and licking you. We call it "puppy therapy." Ahhh, puppy breath! Enjoy!
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
kari

Hi Joy,
Thanks for the post. I love labs. If we lived closer I'd take one of those pups for sure!
We have a 13-yr old yellow lab, Jake. Last year we discovered he had some tumours on his lungs (this only a few months after my DX with IDC). We didn't know if he'd last the year. But he's still with us. Now he has been having increased difficulties with his breathing. On Tues we had him to the vet---we were certain we'd be going home without him! The vet decided to try him on some steroids and he is doing much better!
So once again, he is surprising us with his fight to stick around. Maybe we are taking lessons from each other?? lol
Blessings,
Karen

"The Good Lord gave us mountains, so we could learn how to climb!"
kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
rinaina

Wink

Since I am another dog lover, I must add my love story with my 10 year old Shi Tzu, Riley. Riley has not left my side since my surgery. It's like a sixth sense type of thing perhaps. I call him my shadow. I can't make a move without him. He was not as attached before my diagnosis but he was always a devoted dog. Not to far after my surgery, Riley was having trouble walking and limping pretty good. We brought him in and long story short, he has some disc problems in the middle of his back. It was touch and go for a while as to whether he would get any better. The steroids helped but affected his liver pretty badly, however, I am happy to report that this many months later, he is much better. He doesn't move like he use to but he still has some kick left in him. I sure hope we can keep him going for several more years to come. The hard part with pets is their lifespan just isn't long enough. It is so tough to lose one....I know...I have lost 2 in the past. For now, I will just enjoy my little shadow for as long as I can. So sorry Joy for the loss of one of the puppies. I know that is not uncommon but not easy nonethe less. It's kind of nice talking about other subjects once in a while. Just another example of life after cancer!!!
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Jeanette

Smile Puppies

I can understand how you all feel about animals. I have two Shih szus named holly and misty, one eight and the other ten. Love them to death, they are a great comfort to me.
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
karen raines hunt

Hi Joy,

It is so nice of your sister and brother-in-law to take in the mama dog and her litter. I wish more of our homeless/abandoned dogs and cats were as lucky.

karen
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Diane H

You have a wonderful sister to do this. And while it is heartbreaking to lose a pup from a litter it's one of those things that happens and is in no way her fault. Big hugs, Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote