HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
Kim in CA

Thumbs up Just Catching Up

Howdy All,

I haven't posted in awhile, but just wanted to say hi and let everyone know I just celebrated 5 years on Herceptin last month (and 5 years stage IV ). I have to pinch myself to realize how far I've come sometimes and I just felt like sharing my excitement!

I had the most incredible summer doing lots of riding that culminated with my first 50 mile endurance ride in Oct. It was a huge accomplishment for me on many levels. Of course being Breast Cancer Awareness month and my 5yr. anniversary of being stage IV was huge, but it was also important for other reasons as well.

Almost 2 years ago I attended a clinic on natural hoof trimming because I wanted to learn to take care of my horses feet myself. I wanted my horses to be able be barefoot as nature intended, but still wanted to do endurance. Although all of my friends were skeptical in the beginning, after 2 seasons and many, many miles, they are truly impressed. Even the vets are impressed with how good my horses feet look!

And the most challenging aspect of competing this year was my horse Aladdin himself. Aladdin is what you would call a difficult horse, and that's putting it nicely! He is a very insecure, Type A , high strung individual, but is also the sweetest, hardest trying horse I have ever known. Working with him has been one of the biggest challenges of all, but at the same time it has been more rewarding than I can even describe.

So I'm tooting my own horn here, but that is what I've been up to all summer and I still can't even believe it myself!

So, my next big anniversary coming up will be this Feb, as I celebrate being a 10 year survivor.....Whoooo Hoooooooo! Life is Good!

Love Kim in CA

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
MichelleMoon

Kim,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your GREAT news with us all! Hearing your story gives us stage IV survivors much hope.

Stage 2 '99, triple negative, 5 nodes involved
mastectomy, AC + T, rads, '01 TRAM flap
Stage 4 '06, lung mets, ER/PR-, HER2++
07/06 - 11/06: Taxol + Herceptin to 'strong partial remission'
11/06: Herceptin every 3 weeks indefinitely
01/07: brain mets, finished WBR, NED in head!
04/07: Xeloda and Tykerb for lung met progression
MichelleMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
MJo

This is a wonderful and inspiring story. It sounds like you have made a wonderful life for yourself and your horses. It always amazes me that a 100 pound human can control a 1500 pound animal. I have a question for you. You are doing very athletic things and obviously have a lot of energy while you are taking Herceptin. Did you have an easy time with Herceptin from the start? I will only take Herceptin for a year, but after 8 months of every three week infusions, I feel pretty sick the first week and by the time I feel better it's time to fill me up again. DId your tolerance of Herceptin and your energy level improve gradually or did you find it easy to tolerate from the beginning.

MJO
stage 1
ER/PR+
Her2++
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
suzan w

Toot that horn loud and clear! I can hear it all the way here in Washington. I loved your horse story! You have sure not let B.C. stand in your way! Inspiration for us all!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
pattyz

Kim!

Fantabulous !!!

Thanks for sharing this. Such a huge accomplishment, even for someone in perfectly great health!

Love your ideas on giving Aladdin's feet their freedom! So wonderful to be 'proven right' with these terrific results.

Your prep work all year just goes hand in hand with my congratulations for the event. Amazing!

Do they have 'ritalin' for horses? lol! He is one lucky guy to have you for his mom.

with admiration,
(and some serious envy!)
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Kim in CA

Dear MJO,

My energy level is someting that I continue to struggle with, but I think it is due more to all the chemo I have had over the years and the effect on my bone marrow. My red counts are always on the low side and occasionally I still need a shot of Aranesp, even though it has been 3 years since I have had any chemo. My doctor and I have discussed stopping Herceptin if my tumor markers were ever to drop to the single digit range and stay there for a long time, but they never do. They are always boucing up and down sometimes going out of the normal range, so we are afraid to mess with a good thing. I would love to be able to stop Herceptin and see if my counts came up, and of course stop the worry of possibly damaging my heart. But things are what they are, so I just stay the course and keep watching for the next great treatment discovery, as we all do.

I'm really sorry that you are struggling with the Herceptin and will be so happy for you when your year is up. Just hang in there, and try to always focus on the things that make you feel good.

Love Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Old 11-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
janet/FL

Kim love your story about you and your horse. I envy you working with your horse. You have lots of nerve ot take on that challange!

Have you thought of using the Bayer Serum Test to monitor your need for Herceptin? It seems many Stage IVers are?

Hugs,
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #8
tousled1

Kim,

Great news! When I read stories like yours it gives me inspiration. I am on Herceptin every 3 weeks and having a terrible time with it. The worst thing is the severe bone pain I'm having. It seems that with each infusion my bone pain increases even though all markers are fine and my last PET/CT in October was good. Keep up whatever it is you're doing becasue it sure is working!!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
michele u

Kim,

i have a horsey question. I have 2 horses now. I got my love of horses back! I have a paint. Her name is Rain. I'm having trouble getting her to go where i want. She is testing me. What do you do when they pull that stuff? Do i be forceful and wipe her, not hard, in the rear? I know you have to show them your boss, but how far do you go? she nevers buck, but she's jumpy. One day she turned and took off like she was out of the gates?! Luckily i was hanging on. When she is with other horses she is perfect. but by herself she's not wanting to go or listen.

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
pattyz

(Michele, I don't think you will have any luck if you 'wipe' Rain's rear!! But a timely hit of 'whip' may do the job! LOL! xoxoxpattyz)
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
TriciaK

Great story, Kim! I have been wondering how you are doing, and it is so good to hear good news. I love hearing about your horse. As far as the herceptin and the heart, I guess I have been forced to take that in my stride, since I started out this 3rd round of BC mets (to the lungs) when they caught the cancer immediately after I had a heart attack. Doing the herceptin meant I had a chance to overcome the cancer, even though my heart was already damaged. If I had not done herceptin, my onc said I had less than 3 months with the cancer. So I did 15 months of herceptin (plus navelbine for 6 months) until my MUGA dropped to 30. By then I had been NED through two CT/Pet scans. I had to have triple bypass heart surgery (no fun!) but tests showed I would have had to have that anyhow after my heart attack even if the cancer hadn't shown up. So even in this worst scenario, the herceptin was worth it and undoubtedly saved my life, and I will do it again if I have to. My heart is a lot better now, and I have been NED for over two years. My point is: don't be afraid of herceptin---the cancer is more dangerous than the chance of heart involvement, in my opinion and experience, anyhow. Just keep a'keepin' on! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Kim in CA

To Janet/FL Re: Bayer Serum Test

Dear Janet,

We have run the Bayer test a couple of times and it coincides with my tumor markers. The last time we ran it, it was on the very limit of still being normal at(12.9) and my tumor markers (CA 15-3) were at 28. something, also at the upper end of normal. So, my doctor puts alot of value on keeping track of my tumor markers. I know for some they are not an accurate gauge, but they sure seem to be for me.

Kim in CA

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

Old 11-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
Kim in CA

To Michelle Re: Rain

Michelle,

It is really hard to give advice without seeing for myself, cause I am certainly no expert. I will say that horses will test you because they want to know where they stand in the herd heirarchy. They view you as another member of the herd and you have to establish yourself as the Alpha member. I have been riding for 40 years, but it has just been in the last 10 or so that I have really immersed myself in books and attended clinics on learning to communicate with horses in their terms. It sounds like Rain feels secure when she is with other horses and is happy to go along with the group. When you go by yourself, she may not feel as secure because you haven't established your leadership so she is trying to vie for that position by saying no, I don't want to go. I have a young horse that I am training and I always spend time in a round pen or the arena doing ground work before I ever set foot in the stirrups because at my age I can't afford to get hurt(and I'd also be miserable if I couldn't ride!)

Let me just say that with horses there are no quick fixes. Clinton Anderson has some great books and videos on gaining your horses respect both on the ground and in the saddle. I really like his style and easy to understand approach. If you want to email me privately, I'd certainly be happy to try to give you some pointers as well.

Recently while I was on one of our local equestrian websites I came accross a video that really impressed me, because the woman in it was doing alot of the same things that I do with my two boys. Hopefully you can open this link and view the video. It just shows how easily you can control the horse once you have his respect. Anyway the link is: www.smirkingmuppet.com/sake
I think you'll enjoy it.

Happy Trails,

Kim

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Kim in CA

To Tricia

Thanks for those encouraging words Tricia. It really helps to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I know what your saying is true and even though I do worry, I know that the cancer is the far greater threat. Besides, doesn't do any good to worry too much about the future cause we're not really the ones in control! Just have to remind myself of that sometimes and make the most of each day.

Love Kim

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

Old 11-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
michele u

Kim

I got bucked of Rain on Sat!!! she just turned and started running and bucking. I tried to stay on but i just let go and baled. I landed on my tailbone then my head. I'm going for a MRI tomorrow. I've been dizzy since. I have bruises everywhere! My husband is making me sell her. I'm afraid to let the kids on her now. I don't know what i'm doing wrong! I spend alot of time with on the ground, but not really loping or working with her. I just didn't think she would ever hurt me. I'm hurt physically and mentally about this. I love to ride, but i don't want to end up paralized or dead!

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #16
Lisa

It was so refreshing to hear about parts of your lives that don't involve cancer. But your fall sound frightening, Michelle. Best of luck on that MRI.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
lisahammo

Congratulations Kim! It is fantastic to hear good news, and someone who is 5 years down the track. It inspires all of us.

Love Lisa

8/03 Age 39 DX 2.5 cm tumor
Invasive Ductal - Grade 3
Stage 2A
er+ Her2neu
No nodal involvement
Lumpectomy, 4 A/C - Radiation
Tamoxifen
7/04 Mets to liver - Her2+
Stop Tamoxifen
Zoladex monthly
Herceptin/Taxol 6 months
Continue Herceptin
2/06 Active again Taxol/Herceptin/Carbo - 6 months
Still active, Heart Problems - NO Herceptin
10/06 Navelbine
4/07 Liver tumours increasing
4/07 Gemzar/Herceptin
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #18
VirginiaGirl

Dear Kim,

Congrats on your 5 year anniversary, and upcoming 10 year, too! It's always great to hear happy news about this! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
lindyjo

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Kim, your post is a great encouragement to all of us. I am Stage IIIB with 7 of 13 positive nodes. Diagnosed in March. Will be done with everything except Herceptin next Tues. YIPEE!! I get so scared about the future sometimes, but hearing from you gives me great hope. And you are right, that we aren't in control and it does no good to worry. Just curious, I have been really achy lately with back pain. I'm having an MRI next Wed. to make sure nothings up. Does anyone think this could be from the Herceptin?? I felt better during chemo than I do now!!... Today, I am thankful for the strength to get through my treatments and for this website full of beautiful people who offer so much encouragement and hope. May God Bless us all.
lindyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #20
Kim in CA

Re: Rain

Dear Michelle,

I'm so sorry that Rain is giving you problems, but your husband is probably right. There are too many quiet, what folks call "bombproof" horses out there for you to be struggling with one that could hurt you. Maybe you could have a trainer work with you and Rain together a few times to see what is going on, and determine if she really is the right horse for you. Please keep us posted on the MRI.

Take Care, Kim in CA

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla