HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
skoolmom

Cool Her2 positive for dummies - can someone explain in easy to understand terms?

I have had lots of people ask me what exactly Her2 is and what the positive is and what does Herceptin do to it. I really stumble when I try to explain it other than it's an aggressive cancer that's overproducing. I know that ER/PR is an estrogen driven cancer but mine is negative, and it's the Her2 that drives my cancer I guess? Hopefully someone can explain it in Her2 for dummies terms! I feel so dumb not knowing it exactly for myself! Thanks for all your help!
skoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Barbara H.

There are places in this forum that explain it. When I explain it to someone who has no idea what I am talking about, I say that HER2 cancers have a certain type of gene with a receptor. Herceptin has the abilty to bine to these receptors and deactivate them. The cancer therefore has difficulty growing. I use a model of two legos binding together. The lego model usually helps them understand it somewhat. I also explain that Herceptin is an antibody and not a chemo. It only targets these specific receptors and does not harm other cells that quickly divide.
Good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
pel50

Skoolmom
When my onc presented the HER2 story to me he was very encouraging because even though the HER2 tumor is very aggressive, Herceptin raises the success rate by, I think around 54%. He told me I was fortunate to have the opportunity to be able to utliize Herceptin because of this high suscess rate.
His nurse then gave me a brochure that explained abd simplified how Herceptin works.
The brochure refers to a website at www.herceptin.com that gives an even fuller explaination and is illustrated for easy understanding and may be helpful. Check it out along with the information on this support site, also.

Regards,

DX 3/5/2006, age 56
Male Breast Cancer
Mastectomy, left breast
Stage 1, 1.5 cm tumor
Node negative, 7 nodes removed
ER+, PR+, HER2+, FISH = 2.5
4 rounds of A/C, completed 07/2006
12 rounds of Taxol complete 11/2006
52 rounds of Herceptin completed 11/2007
pel50 is offline   Reply With Quote