HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
elena.arkansas

Question Tykerb / Placebo Study

Has anyone heard of the Tykerb study where they give you either Tykerb or Placebo to those of us who never had Herceptin? They are looking at it as a preventative like doing Herceptin post initial chemo.

My surgeon mentioned it but my center is not enrolling yet. They plans are to participate.

Thanks.
elena.arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
PatS

My oncologist told me about it at my last checkup and I am hoping to be able to participate. My oncs office has had all of the initial meetings and are just waiting for the go ahead to be able to start it. So far I qualify, but will have to have blood test, a MUGA test, and an EKG first. I'm hoping I'll get the Tykerb. It's a double blind study though so not even your dr. knows which your getting. Are you going to participate if your center participates in the study?

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Another latecomer

I have an appointment to talk it over with my onc in November.

*Happy Halloween*

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
elena.arkansas

I am planning on participating. Since it would be just adding to what I am already doing, I figure there is no loss in it. It doesn't matter which I get. I get the impression there are no side effects which is great. My onc will get us started in January is the plan.

Was your tumor confirmed by FISH? I had to have that done.

Thanks for the input.
Elena
Old 11-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Becky

Is the eligibility requirement that you cannot have Herceptin at all or that you could never have taken it?

If so, then its chemo and then Tykerb or NOTHING at all (not even Herceptin)?

Let me know or do you know the trial number?

Thanks in advance

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
elena.arkansas

My understanding is that you need to have never had Herceptin. Currently NED. The way it was explained to me was to see about using it as Herceptin is used post inital treatment. For example... you did ACT, rads and then start this along with hormonals etc. I do not have all the specifics yet. It is looking at using Tykerb backwards in the population that did not get Herceptin because it was not approved or tumor was not typed as Her2 to begin with.

I hope that makes sense. For the most part prior to 2001, we did not get Herceptin unless you were in a trial or not responding.

Elena
dx 10/2000
Stage IIB positive nodes(2)
Her2 ++
ER/PR +
age 45 at diagnosis
Shocked to still be here
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
PatS

This is a study for women who have completed chemotherapy and have never received herceptin.

Here's a link to more info on the study....

http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct/show...00D87?order=16

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Update

I had a preliminary appointment this week with my new onc about the upcoming TEACH trial, and will be seeing her again to discuss it further in a few weeks. We talked about the common side effects of fatigue, rash and diarrhea. Although I could end up with either the lapatinib or the placebo I am interested in the possibility of being in the trial. If the side effects are pretty common and I end up with them then it would seem generally rather obvious whether or not I would be getting the placebo.... (!)

There were other things we needed to discuss at this visit, and I don't think the exact particulars of getting patients going with the trial were at hand, so I hope to be more informed before heading back to Alaska in a few weeks. I am alternatively interested in vaccines as well.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote