HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Val Pfeiffer

Eyesight/Vision changes with Herceptin???

Have any of you found that your eyeglasses or contacts prescriptions have changed as a result of using Herceptin and/or other chemo meds? Mine changed back when I was on Carbo/Taxol/Herceptin, but I feel like my vision hasn't returned to normal. I have been on triple dose Herceptin for the past year.
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
juanita

My vision is somewhat better than it was, but not back all the way to normal. I finished herceptin in June and chemo June 05. I'm giving it a little longer before getting my eyes checked.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
sherri

The same for me. My last Herceptin was in May 2006, it's better now but not like before, I'm 1 year older, maybe this is another reason.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
mts

Wink Here's looking at you kid!

I don't know if it was the chemo or the Herceptin or just plain getting older, but I really need glasses now! I find I have to hold small print items at arms length and at night I need to squint to see distance...

If the chemo has the ability to weaken/damage healthy, fast growing cells, then one can only assume that it does a number on our eyes...

I also find that when I get a bug bite, it takes much longer to heal. A simple mosquito bite turns into a red blotch that lingers for weeks!

Seems like I find things going on with my body that I did not have going on before cancer...

There was a post regarding Herceptin side effects several weeks ago and all these symptoms were included in the list of women who replied. Seems like its a never ending disease!

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Peggy

eyesight

I finished Herceptin in June and my eyesight is getting better. During treatment I always felt like I had to really work to hold my focus. I usually enjoy reading, but just couldn't during treatment. Now I am enjoying reading again.
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
janet/FL

My vision did change during Taxotere/Herceptin. Needed stronger glassess to see up close. My long distance vision imporved. Whether or not this was due to chemo, I can't say. I had lasik vision correction 7 years ago and my eye sight has varied, perscription has changed several times, sometimes imporving, sometimes not. My regular vision right now is not as good maybe some astimatism? Don't know if it is due to stopping Herceptin--last dose last July. I am putting off new glasses as long as possible. The distance vision was great on Herceptin!
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
Liz J.

Vision changes

Hi all,

Vision changes - YES. I thought it was my imagination. I have always been extremely nearsighted. Runs in the family. Started wearing eyeglasses full time at 7 years of age. And that was a million years ago. Anyhow, I began to need reading glasses on occasion about a year before diagnosis. I was about 46 at the time. After completing chemo I went for my annual eye exam. I noticed that I was needing the reading glasses more and more, but also felt insecure at work as all was a bit blurry with the contact lenses on. Not just reading, but seeing in general. I have been wearing contacts since age 13 - another million years ago (lol). The op. told me my vision had not changed. Well, I am getting ready to go back to him soon, as it is getting more difficult to see clearly with the contacts. I am getting Herceptin every 3 weeks. I am hoping this is just a side effect of either the chemo or Herceptin and that it will clear up.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
karen raines hunt

I just saw my eye doc today because of eye strain and eye aches. I had A/C, Taxol and just finished Herceptin in July. To my surprise, my opthamologist said I am developing catarcts. I just saw this doc in Feb and there were no lens changes at that time. He does not think it is caused by Tamoxifen, but I have read some reports that links Tamoxifen to cataracts. I tend to think of cataracts in people over 60, but this doc said people in their 40's can start the process.
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
janet/FL

Liz, could dry eyes be your problem?
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Bev

I finish H in November. I have a hard time reading. Things are getting smaller and smaller, blurrier etc. I guess I'll wait til Feb or so for the next eye exam. Always had good vision before but am at the age as well. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
Jean

Val,

I did notice while on TCH (I will start every 3 wks herceptin next week)
my vision to be a bit hazy (I do have glasses for reading and TV) esp.
a few days after the chemo. I did have my eyes checked and they checked out
the same with no change. But I did find that during the first week after treatment it was a strain while watching any TV or reading.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #12
sarah

While I was on Taxol and Herceptin I went to see my opthalmologist and she said I was starting with cataracts. He said it's not unusual to see cataracts in people getting chemo - I think it might be from the cortisone??? when I brought it up to an onc friend, he agreed he's seen it also but you don't read about it. My eyes also are very dry and I use drops every day.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Sandy H

My vision was blurry while on Taxol, Carbroplatin and Herceptin. Some days it was so bad I could not read the newspaper and that was with my glasses. I have bi focals-progressive lens. I get my eyes check each year now that I am in and out of chemo. Just last year he told me I had a cataract started in my right eye and it did not show the year before. He said chemo can cause them and it can progress rather fast so I have to be sure to get checked every year whether I am on chemo break or not. He says its best to be off chemo for a couple of months before getting an exam. He could not tell if the cataract was caused by the chemo or my age (59). I kept a magnifying sheet handy for reading at home. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
Edie L

Eyesight/Vision changes with Herceptin???

After being on chemo/Herceptin for a year, I also developed cataracts and had them surgically removed. What a blessing! - I had always been legally blind, and now my vision is 20/25! I was told that it is the pre-med/steroids that cause the cataracts. I am still on chemo/Herceptin and have somewhat blurry vision early in the morning for a few days after treatment. Like a number of you, I also have dry eyes especially when I sleep, and I use Genteal/PM, a pricey gel in a tiny tube, which really helps immensely.
Edie L.
Edie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
Liz J.

Hi Janet

Hi Janet,

Yes, my eyes are also dry. I think this is from over use of the contact lenses. I have the gas permeable type. I wore the hard ones for years as that is what I started with in 1970. Never knew about the cornea not getting oxygen. I am used to that type so the gas perm are as close as I can get to them. I tried the soft lenses a few years ago and could not adapt. I use visine all the time and I know I probably shouldn't but it helps. I am trying to use my regular glasses at night instead of keeping the contacts in until bed time.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote