HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Helen

SGPT and SGOT high

I started Navelbine in June. In July and August my SGPT(ALT) and SGOT(AST) were high for the first time. I had a CT scan in last August 2006 and my liver mets is vaguely seen on the CT scan per the report.
Is it Navelbine that is causing my elevated SGPT and SGOT? My lab results have always been normal even when I was on chemo ( Taxotere and Carboplain) back in July - December 2005. I was in partial remission and just had Herceptin since Jan - June 2006. Should I be concerned? My report also said that "liver is slightly enlarged and perhaps mildly fatty infiltrated". My onc said not to worry but I am ....
May I have your input?
Thank you very much.

Helen
  • Recurrence on the same liver spot in 7/07
  • Liver resection 9/07
  • Tykerb/xeloda 10/22/07
  • NED since 9/07 and continued Tykerb/xeloda
  • PET/CT in May 2009 show small spot in lungs. Continued Tykerb/xeloda
  • PET/CT in Aug 2009 shows progression on lung nodules (slightly bigger)
  • Onc considering Taxol/avastin
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
dede10

I'd like to hear whatothers have to say about this, as mine is, too. My onc says not to worry, either, but....I do.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Dum spiro spero
(Latin: while I breathe I hope)
dede10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Joy

Me too

Hi Helen and Dede,

It is so curious to me that we share some similarities at the same time. I finished 8 months of taxol/carbo for liver mets and had perfect chem/metabolic panels throughout and for years prior. then the combo stops working and we swith to megace (a progesterone drug-I'm er/pr+). It takes at least 8 weeks to see if megace will work, but in the meantime my markers start to rise and my ALT, AST elevate, which they have never done. The CT shows a tripling and doubling of liver tumor size in the 6 weeks time. I started Navelbine on tuesday and we did a lot of labs, I'm anxious to see what is going on.

So here we all are baffled over the same stuff. i don't seem to have enlargement, but I don't know if the liver was needing more help, if the megace caused some of this or, and here I make the confession to everyone, if my own Summer 2006 Drinkingpalooza had a lot to do with it. I've worked hard and played hard this summer and I'm thinking that could be some of the problem. It's so dumb cause I so know better and having a case of the guilts.

I'm guessing you guys have been better behaved though and having some similar issues.

I would also love any insights from you two or anyone. In the mean time I'm thinking about you and hoping these things resolve quickly for you and let's try not to lose the spirit.

Love,
Joy

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
AlaskaAngel

A fairly good book that helps to get a feel for liver disease and labs is The Liver Disorders Sourcebook, by Howard J. Worman.

Because of the bc diagnosis we all have to have some focus on liver lab results, yet at the same time, abnormal liver test results are not uncommon among those who have no cancer.

Regardless of stage we all worry about these labs. In the past 2 years, because of continuing right-sided pain, I have had a chest/abdomen CT, MRI of the chest and abdomen, and just last month a bone scan, all of which are entirely normal. But I have had mildly elevated AST and ALT for years now and an alk-phos that is moderately elevated.

I'm planning a second visit to a hepatologist. But I think the book above noted helps to figure things out.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote