HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Dianaq

Thank you Ann,
Even though I am only 50 (lol) my ong. thinks that because my tumor was her2+++, grade 2 node neg. clear margins. The only reason she suggest I go though chemo is because of my age. I have not seen enough data to know that it would really help. I keep hearing of people that have been stg. 0-1 and had chemo but it came back. That is not real convincing to me. My gut feeling is not to go with chemo. But maybe I just dont know enough. I have been trying to read all the studies, but most are with her2-.
Dianaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
SusanV

My surgeon has an analogy for invasive breast cancer...It goes a little something like this... Once the cancer has had the opportunity to become invasive, it is just like a horse that has been let out of the barn. You just do not know what path it has taken. In addition, I have been told to think of the breast cancer travelling to a fork in the road. One direction is to the lymph nodes, and the other to the blood stream. We all know that we had the nodes tested, and in some cases (like Mine) the nodes were negative. It is then likely (not 100%) that the cancer did not go to the other fork in the road or the blood stream. But because they can't be certain, they recommed chemo to get rid of any cells that may have traveled that direction.

More love to all of you
Susan V
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Bev

Susan, the fact that you are so young would make me want to get aggressive. Doing the oncotype test makes sense based on node status, but I don't remember. I'm 47 and stage 2, node neg, but the docs tend to get aggressive if you have some years in front of you. Sorry about the diagnosis. Take it one day at a time. If a wimp like me can do it, anyone can. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Jean

Susan,

Sorry to hear that you have been dx with this dreadfull disease.
The decision to treat with chemo is very difficult for some and yet easy for others. I will say that we are all different and the disease does effect each one based on their own personal chemistry. I believe that I cannot trust the decsion based on nodes alone. Yes, your dr. is wise to educate you that the blood stream is a path for the t-cells to travel and her2 does like to travel.
If my history helps here it goes:
Had a small tumor - after lumpectomy 3mm - er-postive pr negative , node negative. Stage 1 grade 1 dr. all advised radiation and Arimidex which I did have treatment of 32 radiation trts. and also Arimidex. I did not feel
comfortable and I did have the Oncotype test done. Came back off off the charts - scored a total of 46 with a 31% chance of recurrance which translate to a high risk catagory. Onc. here changed his opinion. I decided to see Dr. Slamon who ran the TOPO 11 test. TOPO 11 came back negative.
His advised TCH...Dr. Slamon was strongly for chemo along with the herceptin. You are young and have many wonderful years ahead of you.
I opted for an aggressive treatment no matter what my age. I am 55 yrs old.
I have just completed my 5th treatment of TCH - Sept. 11 will be my 6th and final chemo - It is always your own choice but I do not regret my choice.
I had to fight hard as a early stager - I truly in my heart believe that the future treatment will change in regards to early stagers. The approach of tumor size will NOT be the main factor. What was your KI-67 levels?
that is very important. Susan I wish you strength in your decision and please let us know what you do decide, this is a wonderful site with many wonderful women who share great wisdom - this diesease can and will be beaten due to our joint efforts......

God Bless,
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Dianaq

Jean,
Is the onco score on the pathlogy report?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Jean

Dianaq,

The Oncotype DX test is a test on the tissue of your tumor that was removed.
You have a tissue sample via slide sent to genomic health in Calif. They do the test is cost $3,400 this was covered by my insurance company.

here is the link www.genomichealth.com

What is found on your path report is your KI-67 level, mine was high 40%
Dr. Slamon believes this is a very important feature. He felt since mine was so
high I did not even need the Oncotype test with KI-67 levels that high.

I am still glad I did the test to confirm my status.

Hope this helps if you need any other info just reach out to me.

Good Luck
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
Dianaq

Susan,
I just read a study that said, chemo was more of a benefit for her2- patients. It also stated that for women with her2+, node neg. pre-men. that herceptin along with ovarian ablation and not chemo works better or as well as patients with her2- and chem. I am going to ask my ong. about this.