HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   double vision episode where brain seemed to freak (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50988)

7andcounting 08-05-2011 12:19 PM

double vision episode where brain seemed to freak

Hi,

I have been on Navelbine for about 6 weeks---had treatment yesterday and today I had an episode that was totally out of the blue. I couldn't dial the phone to call my husband b/c it was like my brain was "scrolling" and nothing would stay in the picture. I was seeing everything moving and double vision.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

I called my Drs' office right away and got a new nurse and she asked the oncologist (mine is out for the day) and was told to tell me to just watch things and if it happens again they will do a brain MRI.

I'm stage 4, with so far no hint that it is in my brain.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BonnieR 08-05-2011 12:51 PM

Re: double vision episode where brain seemed to freak

Personally, if I had an episode like that I would probably head for the ER. Has it resolved? Did you have any numbness or weakness in your extremities? I think you should be seen by a doctor.
Keep the faith.

CourtneyL 08-05-2011 01:50 PM

My advice, as someone who had numerous brain mets with no symptoms, DO NOT WAIT - go and get a brain MRI immediately! If they are caught small they are much easier to treat. I too had double vision in December and turns out it was more brain mets. I've had 25 of the suckers so far and fortunately we've been able to manage them with a combination of Gamma Knife targeted radiation and now Intrathecal Herceptin.

I am sure your symptoms are from something else as brain mets are a rare complication. But you'll want the peace of mind ruling them out.

Good luck and keep us posted. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Becky 08-05-2011 03:15 PM

I agree to get this checked out - absolutely. But to give you some peace of mind, I had these symptoms on the AC portion of my chemo - very disoriented with numbers. I could not fax or call anyone. I knew the phone number but dialed it wrong and knew I was dialing it wrong. Very strange. Did get brain CT which was clear and an MRI after chemo and rads were complete - also clear. However, you must make sure you are okay. I believe that some chemo does affect the blood-brain barrier and it can cause this effect.

Stay calm but you must also rule out mets as I did.

BonnieR 08-05-2011 09:10 PM

Becky, here is an example of why I love this site. You showed up with specific information to share. I had certainly never heard of this intriguing side effect so it is great that you could identify it and offer reassurance.

ElaineM 08-06-2011 11:41 AM

I think you should see a doctor immediately. That doctor should authorize an MRI. In addition to checking for breast cancer mets double vision can also indicate a stroke. You should also see an opthamologist as soon as possible. Take good care of yourself.

7andcounting 08-08-2011 04:54 PM

Thanks to all who posted. I have a brain MRI scheduled, and saw an opthamolgist just to rule out anything else.

Opthamalogist said everything looked good.

I have had 3 seperate epsiodes now. Each episode has been different and has lasted a short time and then completely resolved.

I appreciate this board so much. Your feedback and encouragement are a great help when things come up that are upsetting and I don't know where to turn to get help.

Thanks and God bless! I will post when I know more.