HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How do you feel during the holidays? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42052)

ElaineM 11-26-2009 09:29 PM

Re: How do you feel during the holidays?

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to share this, but I would like to tell you about my Thanksgiving. I was watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and starting to prepare some food for today when the phone rang.
It was my oncologist calling !! I wished him a Happy Thanksgiving and wondered why he was calling on a holiday. I thought "What's up?"
He asked me if I was going to be home in about an hour, because he wanted to stop by. I said, "yes" still wondering what he was up to. I gave him directions to my apartment and promised to meet him in the lobby of my building since it was his first time here and my apartment is not the easiest place to find. I thought I could go and stand on the street and look for him if I didn't see him in an hour.
He came by with his little daughter and presented me with a bouquet of flowers, an apple pie and some French bread. We sat and chatted about other things besides my health and played with his daughter for about 30 minutes. He said he just wanted to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving before heading off to dinner with his wife, children and extended family. I shared the food with my neighbors since we had already agreed to share our food this Thanksgiving. I put the flowers in my big vase and placed it in a place where I can see it from every direction in my tiny living room.
My oncologist and I don't always agree on everything, but he has always been a very nice person and I am still alive and kicking, so we must be doing something right.
I am thankful to have some nice doctors. My favorites are my oncologist, my naturopathic physician and my dermatologist. I also like my former oncologist who now lives in Asia. We still keep in touch by e-mail at his request.

StephN 11-27-2009 11:54 AM

Hi -
We know there are a lot of good-hearted people "out there." I would expect a friend or church member to bring food, but my oncologist??

Elaine, maybe that is the difference between living on a tropical island and a big, cold, busy, spread out city! Such a nice experience to share with us! http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...ons/icon12.gif

tricia keegan 11-27-2009 05:37 PM

Elaine, how amazing!!!
I'm speechless!!!!

Faith in Him 11-27-2009 07:18 PM

I can't even imagine my Onc doing that. Thanks for sharing that story with us. He's a keeper.

Tonya

Chelee 11-27-2009 08:25 PM

Elaine, Since I officially have the onc from he$#...I have to dig down real deep to even imagine any onc doing that on Thanksgiving. To me...that speaks volumes about your onc! I think he is a keeper. :) Thanks for sharing your story...I think I'll cut out your post and hang in up in my onc's office when she isn't looking. Maybe that will help her get a clue. lol

Chelee

Lori R 11-28-2009 07:56 AM

Hi all,
After being out of town for a week, visiting my husband's family...I just couldn't wait to see what I had missed on the board.

Thanksgiving was wonderful as I too feel that the gift of BC has been to heighten my awareness about what really matters. I enjoyed all of the children at the celebration (even when screaming and running laps around the house), the efforts of my neice to host a beautiful dinner at her house for everyone, the fact that my 87 year old mother in law is healthy enough to attend and participate.

5 years ago...I would have been mildly annoyed and not FULLY enjoying these gifts. So....thank you BC.

But....in the evening as I closed the door to our bedroom, removed my wig, removed my eyebrows I became very sad.

Definately had a few moments of pulling myself up by the bootstraps to remember what is important. Certainly isn't hair and eyebrows.

Happy belated thanksgiving to everyone. I'd be so lonely without all of you.

Love....Lori

Cal-Gal 11-28-2009 07:29 PM

Hi all-

Having mixed emotions--

Of course deep gratitude for 'Today' as that is all we have--is NOW--

This is my 'first' holiday season as a survivor--

Last year-(diagnosed Nov-Dec last year)--I spent the entire holiday season being overwhelmed with the decisions that we have all had to make when being dx--made the decisions and had surgery in Jan--

So again--mixed emotions--

Love and blessings to all ----

harrie 11-30-2009 01:09 AM

For me, I think my bc experience has given me a more meaningful perspective for the holidays. My mastectomy/reconst happened just before Thanksgiving of 2006 and I was still recuperating as Christmas approached. 3 days before Christmas i flew back up to CA and had my oophorectomy. Came back home to HI on Christmas day. Being that I was unable to do the "normal" preparations, my husband and kids ended up doing all preps that I would normally do (tree, dinners, etc) I was shocked!! I usually plan it all myself!! We skipped all the gift exchanges, cards and just had the most meaningful Christmas together and it was a jolt back to what the real meaning of Christmas is all about. I do believe that was one of the best Christmas i ever had.

Mary Jo 11-30-2009 04:55 AM

Amen Harrie!

ElaineM 11-30-2009 11:49 AM

Hey everybody,
I have been reading your posts in this thread and the thread I started about virtual Thanksgiving. Sharing our holiday experiences, feelings and memories has been wonderful.
Here is my suggestion
Let's have a holiday open house around the campfire !!
Feel free to drop by whenever you want to rest, pray, share memories, warm up, share food, decorate, celebrate whichever December and January holidays you celebrate. You will never feel alone at the campfire. It is our very own virtual retreat center !! I think Bill must be finished with the potty by now, so we shouldn't have to worry about that !!