PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D treatment may have potential to decrease rate and incidence of mets in IBC!

Lani
05-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Clin Exp Metastasis. 2012 May 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Differential effects of vitamin D treatment on inflammatory and non-inflammatory breast cancer cell lines.
Hillyer RL, Sirinvasin P, Joglekar M, Sikes RA, van Golen KL, Nohe A.
Source
The Department of Biological Science, The University of Delaware, 321 Wolf Hall, Newark, DE, 19716, USA.
Abstract
Vitamin D is a known regulator of breast cancer cell proliferation, apoptosis, migration, invasion and differentiation in vitro. Recent studies have suggested a preventative role for vitamin D in breast cancer development and suggested a possible therapeutic application of vitamin D for patients with various forms of breast cancer. Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) is a highly aggressive and phenotypically unique form of breast cancer that has a very poor prognosis. IBC invades the dermal lymphatics of the breast as tumor emboli early in the course of the disease. Because of the invasive nature of IBC, novel therapeutics are needed desperately. In the current study we examined the effect of the active form of vitamin D, calcitriol, treatment on the aggressive IBC phenotype. Herein we demonstrate that although the vitamin D receptor (VDR) is present in both IBC and non-IBC cell lines, the effect of vitamin D treatment is significant only on the IBC cells. SUM149 IBC cells showed increased protein concentration in response to 24 h of calcitriol exposure; likely mediated by an increase in protein synthesis as opposed to increased cellular proliferation. In addition, treatment with 100 nM calcitriol showed a significant decrease in SUM149 migration (67.8 % decrease, P = 0.030), invasion (43.9 % decrease, P = 0.015), and tumor spheroid size (69.4 % decrease, P = 0.018) compared to nontreated control groups. Finally, calcitriol treatment of SUM149 cells led to significantly fewer IBC experimental metastases as compared to control. Our study demonstrates that calcitriol treatment of SUM149 affected several of the processes important for IBC metastasis but had little effect on MDA-MB-231 cells. Therefore, calcitriol treatment may have the potential to decrease the rate and incidence of metastasis in IBC patients.
PMID: 22610818

Ellie F
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks again Lani. This is really interesting and promising given its natural origins.my understanding is that ibc is more prevalent in parts of Africa and also in African American women.i have heard that darker skins make it harder for vit d to be synthesised so wondered about a possible connection. Looks like I need to continue the sun exposure and supps not only for osteoporosis but bc as well!

Basilic
06-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Interestingly enough, I tested low for vitamin D last year and was low normal the year before. I was put on a megadose of vitamin D supplement around March of 2011 and when tested a couple months later my levels where back in the "normal" range. I was diagnosed with IBC at the start of 2012.

jacqueline1102
06-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

I, too, have been diagnosed with IBC as of October, 2011. About 18 months before dx, I asked my doctor to run a thyroid test, Vitamin D, and Cortisol test. I was just feeling exhausted despite entering a wonderful new chapter in my life; career and personal. Results determined that my thyroid was low, Vitamin D was markedly low, and cortisol was elevated. I am now calling this a medical trifecta. Interesting that you all had low levels of Vitamin D.

An interesting study from the University of Chicago discussed cortisol elevation with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. Their discussion advocated that a future study should examine cortisol levels of women before diagnosis. Hypothesis being that higher cortisol levels becomes a risk factor for breast cancer.

Ellie F
06-21-2012, 08:13 AM
I totally believe that high cortisol is a big factor. For 2 years before diagnosis I experienced massive stress of the type that is with you day and night and interferes with most aspects of your life. It seems as if this in some way damages cells at a molecular level rendering them more vulnerable to malignant changes. I suspect when combined with some other factors including low vit d the scene is set for the development of bc.I also suspect that stress/cortisol in some way activates NF-kb which has been implicated in many cancers
Ellie

karen z
06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Many thanks for this post.
Karen Z

Jackie07
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Another point for Vitamin D...

Midwest Alice
07-17-2012, 05:43 PM
I also has the type of stress that interfears with all of life. This was in the three years before the onset of IBC. I didn't tract my D levels but am sure they were off.