PDA

View Full Version : 5th surgery in 8 years

rinaina
05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
It's unanamous...I have had 3 opinions and I need a total shoulder replacement. Of course it is my right arm, of course this is the arm where I had a sentinel node biopsy, of course I am right handed. I am so worried about this surgery, recovery and possible ramifications. My shoulder is totally bone on bone with total loss of cartilage. There are bone spurs, chips and incredible amount of pain. I am so upset over this and don't know why I am having so much trouble dealing with it. I have been able to deal with so much handed to me since 2002. Four surgeries, breast cancer and flare ups from my auto immune disease, Sjogrens. I guess everyone has their limits. I hate feeling this way, because I am always so strong. I actually feel a little sorry for myself and I really don't like that. My surgery is June 7 and I will be in the hospital 2-3 days. It's a long recoup, 6 weeks in an immobilizer sling, no driving for at least that amount of time. Passive therapy at home for first 3 months then out patient therapy at 3 month mark. Total recovery is 6mo to a year. Please pray for me that I am strong enough to come through all of that. I have never doubted my strength before so I don't know why this time it is different. Thanks for listening to me and your support. I know this isn't a site for other conditions but felt I could come to you. Sorry.

caya
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Rina,

You are entitled to vent... it's just one more crappy thing to deal with, and I don't blame you for being upset and worried.

But you will get through it, I know you will. Make sure your sweet little granddaughter comes over to make you smile, she'll be the best medicine. Look at the bright side - you won't have to host any holiday dinners for at least a year!!!

all the best
caya

Unregistered
05-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Rina, you say that you have been strong in the past but not this time. I think you are strong and this time you will be just as strong. It sounds like a longer recuperation time. Maybe you were meant to have a longer recuperation time for a reason. Try to think of the positive things that you can do with your time. After all, when a door closes, a window opens.

Lani
05-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Rinaina--please read my post in your previous thread.
Hope it helps!
Lani

rinaina
05-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Thank you Caya for your encouraging words of support. The one thing bothering me most is not being able to hold my precious new grandaughter, Sloane. She has brought endless joy to me and the thought of not being able to hold her for so long is upsetting me terribly. I have already told my daughter that I hope she comes over a few times a week with her to help lift my spirits. Thank you unregistered for your support and Lani, I will go back and read your reply to my former post.

ElaineM
05-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Hang in there and try to stay positive. Your grandaughter can give you hugs and kisses even if you won't be able to hold her for awhile. Look to the future.
You will be able to hold your grandaugher again after the recovery and you will feel so much better for a longer period of time.
Take good care of yourself. Keep in touch.