PDA

View Full Version : Lovastatin (a statin) has potential to reduce growth of bc cells

Hopeful
03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
http://breast-cancer-research.com/content/pdf/bcr2485.pdf

Hopeful

schoolteacher
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
This is a very interesting article. My cholestoral was high before I found my BC. I was given one of these medications, and I did not take it. I wonder if I had taken it what the results might have been.

Amelia

Hopeful
03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Amelia,

As has been pointed out to me, a substance that slows down or kills cancer that is there does not necessarily prevent it from occurring in the first place - the process of carcinogenesis is different from the behavior of an established cancer. So, I wouldn't fret over it.

Hopeful

Laurel
03-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Hopeful, I gotta tell ya, that one made my brain hurt. Wonder if all statins have this same effect?

Hopeful
03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Laurel,

I thought about warning readers to just skip to the Discussion section of the paper. The first part is beyond challenging, unless you are a scientist, I think.

Your question is a good one. I don't know enough about statins to know if they all work the same way. I would assume statins with a similar action to Lovastatin would produce similar results.

Hopeful

schoolteacher
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks Hopeful. I am going to get my cholestoral checked this week since I am taking Tamoxifen.

Amelia